Strategy - Never draft a top tier SP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy - Never draft a top tier SP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Robert DeNiro » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:04 am

No I didn't take a catcher first. Back a few years I did pick Piazza with my first pick, I had the 9th pick. This year I had the 8th pick and ended up with Soriano, and my second pick was Tejada, then Lowell, then Pudge. Once those positions are filled out the rest of the draft becomes easy, and the only competition I see in my league are teams that are strong in those few weak positions. The only reason I picked Lowell in the 3rd round is because Chavez and Rolen had just been picked, and I definitely wanted either Lowell or Glaus, and didn't know if they would slip another round. And once Piazza and Posada were taken, I had to take Pudge. I think Javy was taken before I got Pudge too, but I was going to pass on Javy this year, even though it looks like he'll have another year just as strong as last.
Robert DeNiro
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fishingmn » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:49 am

Took my first pitcher in the 5th round of all 3 drafts I did this year.

Oswalt, Beckett, K Brown
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:34 am

I'm anti-pitching in the first few drafts. But with the second pick of the second round, Prior was available. People were afraid of his injuires. I took him.

It sucks that he's on the DL for a few months, but come September, I'll be happy he had the extra rest.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kcs261 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:46 am

In a roto league where you set your lineup once a week and leave it, I agree that you should hold off on pitching. You only need 5 or 6 pitches per weeks and that's easy to fill in a typical 10-12 team league.

However, in a h2h league where games are twice a week -- Mon.-Thur. and Fri.-Sun. (like the old Sandbox format), you need a LOT of pitchers.

So, in that kind of league, I would take pitching early and often. In orther words, it all depends on the league format -- and you need to differentiate between h2h and roto.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:54 am

first seven rounds........

1. Nomar Garciaparra
2. Manny Ramirez
3. Scott Rolen
4. Richie Sexson
5. Brian Giles
6. Luis Castillo
7. Mark Mulder
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kcs261 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:03 am

Just to drive home the point, in my 10-team h2h league, all of these pitchers were gone by the end of Round 2 (and this is a veteran league of guys who haven't played less than 5-years): Halladay, Schilling, Pedro, Randy Johnson, Mulder, Mussina, Vazquez, and Hudson. And that's just the first two rounds.

So, again, this is a good strategy in a roto league. But if your league is h2h, and in anyway resembles the old Sandbox leagues, you will get your arse handed to you if you until Round 7 to draft your first pitcher.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:15 am

brdmaverick wrote:first seven rounds........

1. Nomar Garciaparra
2. Manny Ramirez
3. Scott Rolen
4. Richie Sexson
5. Brian Giles
6. Luis Castillo
7. Mark Mulder

Mark Mulder in the seventh round? Obviously, you're in a strange league.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:18 am

As for having one strategy going into the drafts - I think is a bit presumptious. Drafts are ever-evolving. To say you would continue to pass on SP regardless of how far they fall is silly - "I dont care that Schilling dropped to the 4th rd - Ive gotta get that C." - cmon now.

The best strategy is best available IMO - there are good sleepers at every position this yr.

Regardless - Ive read that this strategy may work in roto better than H2H - and I cant disagree more. It is much more important to land top notch SPs in roto than H2H. Because of inning limits, you cant substitute in SPs daily like you can in H2H. You need to make each inning count - thus the importance of good SPs in roto.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Robert DeNiro » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:43 am

When I said that, I assumed that the best starters would be drafted close to the round that you would expect them to. If one of them slipped of course I'd go for them. But let's say Schilling dropped to the 4th round, and Piazza, Javy, and Posada were taken, I would probably draft Pudge.
Robert DeNiro
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ensanimal » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:49 am

Robert DeNiro wrote:When I said that, I assumed that the best starters would be drafted close to the round that you would expect them to. If one of them slipped of course I'd go for them. But let's say Schilling dropped to the 4th round, and Piazza, Javy, and Posada were taken, I would probably draft Pudge.

With the amount of semi-decent catchers available this year, that would seem like a huge mistake. Schilling will be the number 1 pitcher by the end of the year.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers