Daily Fantasy Thread (7/2/13) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daily Fantasy Thread (7/2/13)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cordscords » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:06 am

Most of the content here revolves around the season long fantasy format, thought it would be fun to get some insight on who everybody thinks is going to have a big game on a day-to-day basis.

One site I have taken a liking to is Star Fantasy Leagues. They offer daily freerolls. Who doesn't like a chance to win free money every day without even making a deposit? For the purposes of today's thread I'll be offering my suggested lineup for SFL. Please feel free to offer your own daily strategy for other websites as well.

C- Tyler Flowers ($3,500). Cheap option to free up room elsewhere. Hammel has given up 16 HR this year and Flowers is known for the pop in his bat.

1B- Adrian Gonzalez ($7,764). Playing in Coors Field and owns a 1.067 OPS against Oswalt in 21 AB.

2B- Ben Zobrist ($6,442). Facing a mediocre starter? Check. Good history against lefties? Check. Short porch in left field? Check.

3B- Adrian Beltre ($7,788). Playing in Arlington against the unimposing Joe Saunders. Hitting .303/.346/.513 against LHP this year.

SS- Starlin Castro ($4,428). Has 3 multi-hit games in his past 5 contests. He's showing signs of life so you have to like him at this price tag.

OF- Desmond Jennings ($6,448). See Ben Zobrist.

OF- Wil Myers ($5,388). See above. You can see a trend here. Sometimes it pays off to gamble on a few hitters close to each other in the lineup. There's a domino effect in scoring and you can accumulate a lot of points this way. Plus the Rays faced a lefty last night at well, doesn't hurt to have familiarity on your side.

OF- Shin-Soo Choo ($6,189). Playing at home against Lincecum. Aaron Hernandez's RHP for a living.

U- Andre Ethier ($5,218). Playing in Coors Field against a RHP. Another budget friendly option.

SP- Stephen Strasburg ($16,328). Strasburg is a beast and he's pitching at home against a Brewers lineup with no Braun.

SP- David Price ($14,425). Hitting 95 MPH in his last rehab start. No team strikes out more than the Astros and Price generates a healthy amount of K's himself.

RP- Jonathan Papelbon ($2,182). Hasn't pitched since 6/26. Likely to make an appearance regardless of a save opportunity.

P- Kris Medlen ($13,887). Medlen has finally regained the pinpoint command he displayed last year. Pitching at home against the Marlins, the leagues worst offense.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Daily Fantasy Thread (7/2/13)

Postby cordscords » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:37 pm

Overpriced in any format

Clayton Kershaw @ Colorado. 5.68 ERA and 1.48 WHIP in 11 starts at Coors.

Chris Davis vs LHP John Danks. Looking at his splits from '11-'13, I'm actually surprised at how well he's done against lefties. Having said that, his bread and butter remains crushing RHP. He still carries a premium price and could be a bad investment for today.

Mike Trout vs RHP Lance Lynn. Under normal circumstances I would love this matchup, but Trout got the day off on Sunday due to a hamstring issue. He's now had 2 days of rest and the team doesn't seem too concerned, but any fantasy owner knows the 2 words "hamstring issue" is never a good sign. Since he's going to cost you an arm and a leg, I would hold off just for today to see how he's running the bases tonight.

Undervalued in any format

Doug Fister @ Toronto. Fister generates a ton of grounders and uses all of his pitches extremely well. He can pitch anywhere against any team.

Matt Adams vs RHP Jered Weaver. Gotta love the fact he can DH. Weaver has turned into an extreme flyball hitter and the weather is nice for tonights game.

Matt Kemp vs RHP Roy Oswalt. Playing in Coors Field and c'mon the guy is due for a big game.

Worth the price if you can afford it

Patrick Corbin @ New York. Pitching in Citi Field against one of the leagues worst offenses.

Miguel Cabrera vs RHP Chien-Ming Wang. Wang pitches to contact. I wouldn't dare throw a strike to M-Cab.

Jay Bruce vs RHP Tim Lincecum. Playing at home against a righty who's having another tough season.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:27 am

predicting in baseball isnt easy. You picked out some of the top talent in the game, and you were wrong on almost 70% of them.

Predicing in baseball isnt easy. This aint football.
cordscords wrote:Overpriced in any format

Clayton Kershaw @ Colorado. 5.68 ERA and 1.48 WHIP in 11 starts at Coors. :-{

Chris Davis vs LHP John Danks. ;-D

Mike Trout vs RHP Lance Lynn. ;-D

Doug Fister @ Toronto. :-{

Matt Adams vs RHP Jered Weaver. :-{

Matt Kemp vs RHP Roy Oswalt. :-{

Patrick Corbin @ New York. :-{

Miguel Cabrera vs RHP Chien-Ming Wang. ;-D

Jay Bruce vs RHP Tim Lincecum. :-{
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:39 am

wrveres wrote:predicting in baseball isnt easy. You picked out some of the top talent in the game, and you were wrong on almost 70% of them.

Predicing in baseball isnt easy. This aint football.
cordscords wrote:Overpriced in any format

Clayton Kershaw @ Colorado. 5.68 ERA and 1.48 WHIP in 11 starts at Coors. :-{

Chris Davis vs LHP John Danks. ;-D

Mike Trout vs RHP Lance Lynn. ;-D

Doug Fister @ Toronto. :-{

Matt Adams vs RHP Jered Weaver. :-{

Matt Kemp vs RHP Roy Oswalt. :-{

Patrick Corbin @ New York. :-{

Miguel Cabrera vs RHP Chien-Ming Wang. ;-D

Jay Bruce vs RHP Tim Lincecum. :-{

Trying to predict individual performance on a game to game basis is as silly as silly gets.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:41 am

lastingsgriller wrote:Trying to predict individual performance on a game to game basis is as silly as silly gets.
agreed.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby cordscords » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:14 am

Finished 3rd out of 96, good enough for some free $.

Out of my starting lineup I hit on 8 and missed on 5 (Flowers, Zobrist, Beltre, Castro, Medlen). Out of those 5 I really only had high expectations for Zobrist, Beltre, and Medlen. Flowers and Castro were cheap options who you hope pan out, and I used the extra savings to be stronger elsewhere.

I'm sorry. What were you guys saying?
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:33 pm

cordscords wrote:Finished 3rd out of 96, good enough for some free $.

Out of my starting lineup I hit on 8 and missed on 5 (Flowers, Zobrist, Beltre, Castro, Medlen). Out of those 5 I really only had high expectations for Zobrist, Beltre, and Medlen. Flowers and Castro were cheap options who you hope pan out, and I used the extra savings to be stronger elsewhere.

Small sample size. Cough. Cough. B-)
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby cordscords » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:25 pm

rjforlife wrote:
cordscords wrote:Finished 3rd out of 96, good enough for some free $.

Small sample size. Cough. Cough. B-)

Haha I know. I understand that Miguel Cabrera might go 0-4, against the leagues worst pitcher, in Coors Field, on a humid summer day. These things happen. You can, however, get a pretty good read on patterns if you know what to look for. I suspect those knocking it haven't tried it, or had a negative experience with a limited amount of play.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers