Converting to an auction draft from a snake - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Converting to an auction draft from a snake

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Converting to an auction draft from a snake

Postby thatguysound » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Hey all...

I had been toying around with the idea of converting the 10 team league I run from a snake draft to an auction draft, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or tips. Its not quite as simple as just assigning values, I don't think.

10 team league, 25 man rosters (not including DL slots). We switched to a H2H format (with 6 team playoffs) at the beginning of last season in the hopes of preventing manager malaise. I've been running the league for almost 15 years now with basically the same people. 6 of us were in the original league, and nine of us have been in the league for the past 7 years. The last manager turnover we had was three years ago. The league has always been a snake draft, determined by a combination of where your team finished and the overall strength and depth of the players you keep. Trades are permitted all year long, and draft picks are tradable commodities.

The drafts at this point, while still one of my favorite days of March, have become pretty monotonous at times. We know the kinds of players the other managers like so much that it takes some of the mystery out of draft day. And with the keeper system, there are couple of teams that always seem to be especially stacked right off the bat, which ultimately contributes to managers falling out of the race and losing interest. So I'd like to make it an auction draft next year, that gives managers more of a chance to get some of the justifiably hoarded talent.

(Just as an example, we had one team keep Kershaw, Strasburg, Braun, Kemp, and Trout, while another kept Freeman, Panda, Andrus, Cain, and Heyward.)

My point is that I would love to convert to auction draft, but I need to figure out a way to convert draft picks to budget dollars AND allow for managers to feel like they aren't being punished for having made some great trades on the past. Anyone ever go through something like this?
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Converting to an auction draft from a snake

Postby thatguysound » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:40 pm

No one has any thoughts? Damn. Was hoping someone out there would be able to offer some input!
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)

Postby duderhannah » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:23 am

Well I am creating a league in football with this format, but we do a limited keeper league in baseball with a snake draft. It is a unique system. We tried auction in baseball once but it takes too long with suck a big roster (25)
duderhannah

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Brainstorm » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:16 am

I did this just last year.

What I did was took the final rosters, and averaged the costs of their beginning of season value and end of season value. It wasn't perfect (ie. the Trout owner got him for $20 because preseason value was $1 and end of season value was $40), but it did the job for the most part and nobody complained. It allowed teams who had some younger players to keep them for cheap since in my old system you could keep 10 with no penalties for as long as you wanted.

The other thing I did was since we decided to make this change after the season and we allowed draft pick trading before hand, I converted the top 4 picks for every team into one time discounts. It was $6 for a first rounder, $4 for a 2nd, $3 for 3rd and $2 for anything else. I felt like teams who traded players for draft picks during the season shouldn't be punished and it seemed like a fair way to do it. I did allow this discounts to be traded and in hindsight, I don't like that decision. So if you went that route I wouldn't allow them to be moved.

We still kept 10 last year because teams prepared for that, but now that we went through one auction draft we're allowing teams to keep as many as they want with a $5 increase per player.

The draft was a HUGE success this year, everyone had a ton of fun. Just be prepared to be there a while. What we did was started the draft, we had 13 rounds of auctioning to do. After 2 rounds I ordered pizza and when it got there we took a break before the home stretch. If you're super concerned about it, just do an auction for your starting lineups and then snake draft the bench. Trust me, your league will enjoy the conversion.

Good luck
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 252)

Return to Commissioner's Corner