My Tulowitzki for his Fielder? WHIR 100% - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

My Tulowitzki for his Fielder? WHIR 100%

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My Tulowitzki for his Fielder? WHIR 100%

Postby Element » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:03 pm

I'd take Fielder over Tulo every time. Let him be someone else's problem
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 789)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Woolly the Mammoth » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:25 am

I like this deal for you. However you might consider seeing what you can get for Segura, because he's overachieving right now. You can always play a replacement level player when Tulo is hurt, and when he's playing, well...

Help with mine? Image
Woolly the Mammoth
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RasmusFlow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:22 am

UPDATE: He added Desmond Jennings to the deal. Given his interest level, I'm going to see if he'll add Puig instead. Either way I think I'm going to accept. Thank you for the help everyone.

He also has McCutchen who he's willing to trade. Would you rather have McCutchen or Fielder?
RasmusFlow
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 49)

Postby thatguysound » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 pm

I've had Tulo for four years in a keeper league as well, and I feel like every friggin summer he just crushes me with some injury or another. The thing is, I wouldn't go after Fielder alone. I would try to target an OF. Tulo is likely coming back at some point, and honestly he's likely to give you just as much production as Fielder from here on out - just concentrated in a smaller timeframe. Your 1B situation is actually pretty good if Davis qualifies at 1B in your league (which he should), and you have all the same trade chips that others were mentioning with or without the deal. Fielder is a stud, but he's getting older. His numbers are going to be too similar to Tulo's at the end of the year for someone who played 2 months more baseball.

Look, anyone who approaches you with an offer for Tulo is looking to get him at the discounted DL price. Don't do it. You hold on to him and make someone PRY him out of your hands. He can't hurt your team on the bench, and you have as good a replacement as you could hope to find in Segura. It's not like either one of them will sit there wasting away on your bench when Tulo comes back. If you really want to deal Tulo, do it in the off-season, when the other managers will be more willing to pay full price.

And for god's sake... don't you dare think about trading Tulo to this guy without shopping him around to all the other managers. Make it public. Tell the whole damn league that you're willing to move Tulo, and see what kind of bidding war you can strike up.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)

Postby clarkw267 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Others have said it.

Having Segura eliminates the positional value that Tulo carries over Fielder. I'd make the deal.

Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=462704
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby RasmusFlow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:39 pm

thatguysound wrote:I've had Tulo for four years in a keeper league as well, and I feel like every friggin summer he just crushes me with some injury or another. The thing is, I wouldn't go after Fielder alone. I would try to target an OF. Tulo is likely coming back at some point, and honestly he's likely to give you just as much production as Fielder from here on out - just concentrated in a smaller timeframe. Your 1B situation is actually pretty good if Davis qualifies at 1B in your league (which he should), and you have all the same trade chips that others were mentioning with or without the deal. Fielder is a stud, but he's getting older. His numbers are going to be too similar to Tulo's at the end of the year for someone who played 2 months more baseball.

Look, anyone who approaches you with an offer for Tulo is looking to get him at the discounted DL price. Don't do it. You hold on to him and make someone PRY him out of your hands. He can't hurt your team on the bench, and you have as good a replacement as you could hope to find in Segura. It's not like either one of them will sit there wasting away on your bench when Tulo comes back. If you really want to deal Tulo, do it in the off-season, when the other managers will be more willing to pay full price.

And for god's sake... don't you dare think about trading Tulo to this guy without shopping him around to all the other managers. Make it public. Tell the whole damn league that you're willing to move Tulo, and see what kind of bidding war you can strike up.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate the thought. This is basically what I've always thought of Tulo as well. However, no one in my league is willing to pay full price because they're all afraid of his injuries. The next best offers I've gotten was McCutchen, or a bunch of prospects (main ones being Gomez and Myers), but I'm looking to win this year. I don't know if you read my update post or not, but the offer has changed to basically Fielder and Jennings for Tulo. Jennings has huge upside, but hasn't shown it yet. What do you think?
RasmusFlow
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 49)

Postby thatguysound » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm

RasmusFlow wrote:Thanks for the input, I appreciate the thought. This is basically what I've always thought of Tulo as well. However, no one in my league is willing to pay full price because they're all afraid of his injuries. The next best offers I've gotten was McCutchen, or a bunch of prospects (main ones being Gomez and Myers), but I'm looking to win this year. I don't know if you read my update post or not, but the offer has changed to basically Fielder and Jennings for Tulo. Jennings has huge upside, but hasn't shown it yet. What do you think?

I think it comes down to how much you want to deal Tulo. I don't blame you for getting frustrated with him and wanting to have one less thing to worry about. Just know that if that's the case, you're likely making a deal out of frustration, not out of good baseball smarts.

Personally, I never want to be the one giving up the single best player in any deal, which I still think Tulo is in this case. Which is why I think that you are better off wating until the off-season to deal Tulo. If this other manager really wants him that badly, let him make you an offer you can't refuse. And again, you don't need as much help at 1B as you do at OF. If you were really going to deal Tulo, I'd try to pry CarGo loose to replace Bourne or Gardner in your main lineup.

Don't forget that in a H2H league, you'll want Tulo back for the playoffs. I'd rather have Tulo and Segura in my playoff lineup than Fielder and Jennings.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hawkeye1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 pm

It's hard to imagine parting with Tulo, but I think this is the right deal with your line up.

Help? viewtopic.php?t=462707
Hawkeye1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Element » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:40 pm

RasmusFlow wrote:UPDATE: He added Desmond Jennings to the deal. Given his interest level, I'm going to see if he'll add Puig instead. Either way I think I'm going to accept. Thank you for the help everyone.

He also has McCutchen who he's willing to trade. Would you rather have McCutchen or Fielder?

1. He's not moving Puig
2. Fielder
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 789)

Postby thatguysound » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Look, Fielder and Jennings is about as good a deal as you can get for an injured Tulo, I admit. Fair deals are supposed to hurt a little on both sides, I suppose. I just think that the OP might be better off holding on to him, since the only obvious hole I see in his lineup is in the OF.

To me its about maximizing your assets. I would bet anything that if the OP wanted to deal Tulo, he would get an even better return if you wait until he is healthy.
As of 8/4/13
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions