New owner for an un-maintained team in Keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

New owner for an un-maintained team in Keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New owner for an un-maintained team in Keeper league

Postby ryan2714 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:54 pm

I have problem that I don't really know how to solve fairly. I commish a 10 team 5x5 h2h 8 keeper (1 rookie) $100 league.

One team has been occupied by a member who has not even checked his team since the beginning of last year 2012. He's paid his $100 dues both years but doesn't maintain his team and finished in last by a lot last year and is in line to do the same this year and the league has decided we want to give him the boot.

I have no problem getting rid of him but the problem I run into is that this is a 8 keeper league and since he doesn't maintain his roster his keepers are a joke (maybe 4 legit guys). Other members of the league get 7 keepers, and 1 rookie to keep. Since he hasn't even checked his team he doesn't even have a rookie on his roster meanwhile people are nabbing up tavares, puig, ryu, cole, etc and pushing him or the future owner further behind the 8ball.

I want the new owner to be able to have some flexibility and maybe not require him to keep a rookie and not make him keep 7 other guys from the roster and let him pick 2 or 3 guys or something from the free agent pool but I also don't want 8th, 9th place teams getting upset that the top guys on the board come draft time will be given to the new owner basically and they get stuck with lesser players.

Any thoughts on a way to handle this situation? All input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
ryan2714
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New owner for an un-maintained team in Keeper league

Postby Goatrider » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 am

Well, there are a couple issues here. The first has to be the legal disposition of a franchise. As you said, he has behaved oddly by paying but not participating. If you have rules to fire an owner, use them. If not, pass them and add them to the Constitution. Second, you are recruiting into a subpar situation. Personally, I believe there is some implied leeway here in more expensive leagues. A new owner should get his money's worth at Year Two at the latest. We simply announce to the league about an active recruiting effort and that the new entry will include NEGOTIATION. If all agree and a new player is identified, take the lead and negotiate a deal. The best deals here are allowing concessions that still make it tough on the new guy but make it at least possible to rebuild. At that time, take the new deal back to the league for vote/general approval/major objections.

This style has been used in all 3 of my leagues.

Good Luck!
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Re: New owner for an un-maintained team in Keeper league

Postby pjalst » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 pm

I agree that you have to have replacement provisions in your constitution for inactive owners. If you already do, I suggest you spend the week sending this owner warning emails(this documents his failure to comply). If he does not respond start looking for a replacement. The sooner you get a replacement in there the sooner the new owner can salvage whats left of the season. Since the new owner did not pay an entrance fee, I would not allow him to collect any winnings (if any) this year.

Help Please:http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=462751
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Return to Commissioner's Corner