Trading for Tulowitzki - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trading for Tulowitzki

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading for Tulowitzki

Postby jvdesigns » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to fantasy baseball so I want to be upfront. I will try to help in return--but I don't want to mislead anybody--as my advice is probably not worth much. My team is doing well enough to be in the playoff hunt thanks to strong pitching--but my offensive players are not producing or are injured. One of the teams that is on the brink of the playoff hunt has Tulowitzki and is in need of pitching. I could also use a bit of help in the catcher position as I have Lucroy.

The offer I'm getting is:
Tulo and Brian McCann
for
Prado, Masterson, Shields

I'd still have Cliff lee, Jordan Zimmerman, Fister, Cobb, Garza, Liriano, jose hernandez, jarrod parker, lohse, and beachy left as my pitchers.
other key offensive guys that I have--trout, starlin, big papi, reyes, Bryce harper, freeman, Utley, carl Crawford

Is this a good deal for me? Thank you in advance for your help.
jvdesigns
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trading for Tulowitzki

Postby Watermock » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:53 pm

That's a pretty good team for being a novice. Did you draft it? You have some good young pieces. Is this a keeper league?

As a Tulo fan, and Rox fan I'm biased of course. Unfortunate injury this year, but before that he was on an MVP type season. He may also be back sooner than the later part of his timetable. Think he be able to start light activities even this week.

I'd say your pitching could probably withstand taking that hit. You can also usually find suitable arms on the waiver...so I always tend to gravitate towards good bat vs good pitching. As long as Beachy returns and can be good I think I'd do this trade.
Watermock
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby jvdesigns » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Thank you Watermock. Yes--I did draft the majority of the team. A few of the guys were free agents--david Ortiz..etc. One of my buddies who knows a bit more about baseball than I did help with the draft, so I can't take all of the credit. It is not a keeper league. I was just thinking that because my team could use a bit of power, this could be a nice opportunity to roll the dice on a guy like Tulo. I very much appreciate the help.
jvdesigns
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby zelts3 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:02 pm

I would also do this trade. It comes down to Tulo for Shields and Masterson in my opinion. McCann is a nice upgrade also. Your staff is strong so departing with Shields is fine. Tulo will probably hit 20 homers more than most shortstops and I am assuming you're in a shallow league. Do the trade, Tulo will be back in a couple weeks as water mock said. He is a huge upgrade to any team as all other SS are not near as valuable as he is....when healthy.
zelts3
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby jvdesigns » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Thank you zeltz. I very much appreciate the advice. I was thinking the same thing. I figure I can afford to make the move and if Tulo pans out, I could have a very strong team for the playoffs. With me being fairly new to fantasy baseball, I just have a hard time gauging the value of players and not knowing if I'm getting taken advantage of. I appreciate your help.
jvdesigns
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jvdesigns » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Thank you zeltz. I very much appreciate the advice. I was thinking the same thing. I figure I can afford to make the move and if Tulo pans out, I could have a very strong team for the playoffs. With me being fairly new to fantasy baseball, I just have a hard time gauging the value of players and not knowing if I'm getting taken advantage of. I appreciate your help.
jvdesigns
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RasmusFlow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:23 am

You should take this trade. Like mentioned above, pitchers are expendable, you can find pretty good arms on the WW. You're getting a top 5 player when healthy. I think even with Tulo injured you're getting a pretty good deal. If he comes back and produces like he was before the injury, which he is fully capable of doing, then you will have gotten a steal.

Please help with my Tulo trade:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=462650
RasmusFlow
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 44)

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Well McCann is not a huge upgrade over Lucroy who has turned it on in recent weeks honestly, but getting Tulo is money....go get em.

Maybe you can shop one of your catchers also for a replacement SP and you'd be set but having two quality catchers can maximize that position. What SP are available in FA, I wouldn't even keep Lohse honestly.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1937)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions