Kyle Gibson to the majors. SP Twins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kyle Gibson to the majors. SP Twins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kyle Gibson to the majors. SP Twins

Postby J35J » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:09 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
TheTrith wrote:Theres a reason it has taken him so long to reach the majors.

you're right. he was drafted in 2009, and then had TJ surgery in 2011. then on his way back he only had 13.2 IP last season. he is finally back to where he should have been before the injury.
he was one of the top prospects before the injury including the Twins #1 prospect.
he has just as much of a chance to succeed as any other top prospect coming up this season.

He was a top prospect for real life...sometimes real life and fantasy life aren't equal. Take the Trevor Cahill comp for example...most MLB teams would love Cahill in their rotation but he's just ho hum for fantasy. And no, he doesn't have any chance to become a Shelby Miller or Matt Harvey type of guy....just doesn't have that kind of upside.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:15 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:He gets KC at home first, which isn't bad. Then the Twins' schedule gets tough.

Yeah, he'll be a great spot start for that game.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby mac-unit » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:18 am

SpecialFNK wrote:he has just as much of a chance to succeed as any other top prospect coming up this season.

Except Gibson isn't a top prospect. He was a decent prospect before 2011 and he hasn't done anything but have his stock go down since then. And it's nice he's entering his prime, but that's hindered by the fact that he hasn't pitched more than 95 innings in 3 years. He's a 25 year old ground ball pitcher with no major league experience and not much success in AAA.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:30 am

Gibson was the #34 rated prospect by Baseball America before he got injured, and came into this season the #68 rated prospect by BA and #49 by MLB.com. Compared to Cafe darling Michael Wacha (#76/#83 respectively) that's not too shabby. Won't be dominant in Ks but he's fairly polished and should be pretty reliable. He's definitely worth a shot, because even though he hasn't proven anything yet, he also hasn't proven that he sucks. Which tends to be an overlooked trait.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:22 am

in November 2010 according to baseballamerica Gibson was the Twins #1 prospect.

I don't think Cahil is a good comparison. he walks more batters than Gibson does. Gibson can keep the walks down.

Gibson may not have elite K's, but over his minor league career he did have 8.02 K/9. but he does get a whole lot of ground balls, which limits the HR allowed.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby kab21 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50 am

SpecialFNK wrote:in November 2010 according to baseballamerica Gibson was the Twins #1 prospect.

I don't think Cahil is a good comparison. he walks more batters than Gibson does. Gibson can keep the walks down.

Gibson may not have elite K's, but over his minor league career he did have 8.02 K/9. but he does get a whole lot of ground balls, which limits the HR allowed.

Maybe but it wouldn't be suprising if a prospect's BB's increased. Both are prolific GB pitchers. Gibson's K rate likely won't be much >7. Overall he looks solid and I cannot wait to finally have a hopefully above average pitcher in the Twins rotation.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 177)

Postby Element » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:41 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:in November 2010 according to baseballamerica Gibson was the Twins #1 prospect.

#1 prospect doesn't always mean stud. He was one of the best bets in that draft class to crack a big league roster some day. I was very high on Gibson and I still am. But at this point he looks more like Tim Hudson than anything else. I'm looking forward to watching him (I didn't make it out to see any of his AAA starts (I'm in Rochester)), but I'm not using him than anything more than a spot starter right now. If you're starved for pitching you could do worse.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:58 pm

ideally you want a pitcher with a low ERA/WHIP and high K rate. but when it comes to a 3rd+ pitcher on your roster and you have to decide between the two, I would rather have a pitcher with a low ERA/WHIP with an OK K rate (6-8 K/9) than a pitcher with a mid 4 ERA/1.3+ WHIP and great K rate. I can use a middle reliever with a high K rate to make up for that.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:03 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:ideally you want a pitcher with a low ERA/WHIP and high K rate. but when it comes to a 3rd+ pitcher on your roster and you have to decide between the two, I would rather have a pitcher with a low ERA/WHIP with an OK K rate (6-8 K/9) than a pitcher with a mid 4 ERA/1.3+ WHIP and great K rate. I can use a middle reliever with a high K rate to make up for that.

Again, you're assuming Gibson is going to post a low ERA/WHIP, and I don't see that guy right now. He's a decent spot start (like with KC in his first start), but I don't see any reason that he should be expected to really excel with his ratios. In addition to that, I think his K-Rate will be a deterrent, as will being on the Twins, who are not a good baseball team, with the 17th ranked Team OPS and Team Runs for 2013. So an offense in the bottom half of the league for run support, limited K potential probably, and a question mark over whether he will even be helpful in ERA and WHIP. I see a guy you could spot start a small handful of times over the remainder of the season. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. You seem to treat ERA and WHIP differently than K, though, when in reality they should be treated identically in a Roto league with an IP limit.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm not worried about run support for W/L. that's a toss up and it could go either way for a good offense or a bad offense.

why would one think he wouldn't be good in ERA/WHIP?
his last 4 starts in the minors he is 2.08 ERA.
I don't really have a clue what the Twins defense is like, but that will come into play. seeing how he has such a high ground ball rate.

he's going to be on an IP limit anyway, but even if he only gets what 7-10 starts he could still be effective.
well I guess I should add that when I think of players I think about them in a deeper league. I don't even play in a regular standard league anymore.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers