How Much is Too Much - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How Much is Too Much

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Much is Too Much

Postby tnbrave » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 am

Really needed 3B help and was able to make a deal for Zimmerman from the Nationals. Already had SS Ian Desmond. And when Bryce Harper comes off the DL, I"ll have potentially 3 Nationals in my starting lineup--didn't think this through thoroughly when making the deal for Zimmerman. Anyway, how many players from one team should I have in my starting lineup? Should I try to trade Desmond? I don't really want to trade Zimmerman or Harper. Thoughts?
tnbrave
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 567)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How Much is Too Much

Postby Izenhart » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:57 am

It's not exacly the same as owning Fielder and Cabrera but unless you are in a really shallow league, owning three studs on the same team shouldn't effect you negatively at all.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 293)

Postby kab21 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:14 am

I don't worry about these types of things. This could be an issue in H2H if the Nats going into a weeklong slump but for the most part I don't think it matters.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:41 am

In your position, having a SS, 3B and OF, I see absolutely no problem with it.

It could be a small issue in roto leagues if you have a few guys playing the same position from the same team. Since you typically need a bench OF to fill in for off-days in order to reach the 162 game limit, if your bench OF has days off at the same time as two (or more) of your starting OFs then you'll lose a bunch of games played. Same goes for MI and CI. In your case none of the players overlap in position, or even flex position, so it's not a problem. In general though, maximizing GP is something that gets ignored too often. If you consider that the average player gets around 1 R+RBI per game, then if you finish 15 games short of your OF allocation then you're missing 15 R+RBI. Usually that would be good for at least a point or two in the standings, not to mention the missed HR and SB. Now run the numbers for teams that are 50+ games below the Games Played maximums, and it could be the difference between winning a league and being middle of the pack.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby jfg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Yeah, it's not football where teams have byes or spend one week completely abandoning the running or passing game. If a team had 9 players that were all top 50 players I'd have no problem having them all on my team.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby jfg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Do you think in '99 you could have had the entire Indians roster (including Fryman and Diaz) and finished at the top or very near the top of all the offensive categories?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:02 pm

I think it depends on what team they are from. if you have a bunch of players from a top offensive team, no problem. if you have a bunch of players from a weak offensive team, that's bad because you're going to be limited on R/RBI.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby tnbrave » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input.
tnbrave
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 567)

Return to Baseball Leftovers