Dodgers/Diamondbacks fight. Greinke/Kennedy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dodgers/Diamondbacks fight. Greinke/Kennedy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dodgers/Diamondbacks fight. Greinke/Kennedy

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 pm

lmao

"It got pretty ugly," Montero said. "They came out of nowhere, just throwing punches. When everybody was trying to break it up, they just kept coming and throwing punches. It was like 25 against 72, because all the DL guys were out there, too. I guess their arms were feeling pretty good because they were throwing good punches.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:36 pm

6:42 An alternate angle of McGwire acting like a spaz gives us the best moment of the entire video:

It's all about the reveal. McGwire is threatening, and he appears to be cowing Williams into submission. But when Williams's face comes back on-screen, he has had juuuust about enough of one Mark McGwire.

chewchewchewchewchewchewchewchewchew

I'd take Williams. McGwire has spent his last few months teaching the Dodgers how to not hit. It had to rub off on him.
:-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Greinke could have ended all this by mowing that pitch into the stands
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 pm

I would take Williams every time in that match up.
He would chew up big Mac and spit him out.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:02 pm

I don't think a pitcher should ever intentionally hit a batter with a pitch, even if that pitcher felt one of his teams players was hit intentionally prior. problem is the suspension for a pitcher is a complete joke! if a pitcher intentionally hits a batter and is suspended, almost all the time they don't miss a start. all that happens is there start is pushed back 2-3 days, because the days in between where they would not have pitched anyway count towards the suspended days. whenever a pitcher is suspended, it should be automatic one turn through the rotation.

I didn't see the Cody Ross hit, so I have no comment on the significance of that. sometimes players get hit and there is nothing intentional. I don't think the Ross hit meant anything. I think I can believe the hit to Puig was not intentional. why would Kennedy intentionally hit Puig? but right there there should have been warnings. don't let it develop any further.

does baseball really want this type of stuff to stop? I'm thinking no. otherwise any of the suspensions wouldn't be a slap on the wrist. this brings attention to the game and it can be exciting to watch a fight.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:21 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:does baseball really want this type of stuff to stop? I'm thinking no.
MLB had the video up on all their sites within minutes. They dont condone it of course, but they have no problem making a buck off it.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:25 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I would take Williams every time in that match up.
He would chew up big Mac and spit him out.

yeah me too. Im no lip reader but it looks like he says, "dont you be bullshitting with me" and then the stare causing Mark to back down pretty quick. Mark knew what was coming next .. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:36 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:does baseball really want this type of stuff to stop? I'm thinking no.

Why would they want it to stop? It's part of the game.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby thedude » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:

Why would they want it to stop? It's part of the game.

They want it controlled. They do not want players hurt.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AHF » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Thoughts on this from ESPN's Buster Olney?

There were a lot of violations of baseball’s unwritten rules along the way, and here are a few:

1. As Greinke seemingly attempted retaliation at Montero, he took multiple shots at him, missing before his final pitch. A lot of players feel like a pitcher gets one shot at retaliation and if he misses, well, it’s on him -- and the fact that Greinke kept throwing at Montero is why the Diamondbacks were upset. (As I wrote at the time of the Carlos Quentin-Greinke incident, Zack does not shy away from these situations; he embraces them.)

2. It’s really kind of silly that Greinke wasn’t ejected after hitting Montero, because everybody in the ballpark knew it was on purpose.

3. Kennedy’s response to Greinke -- a fastball near his head -- was really dangerous, in how close it came to hitting him in the noggin.

Personally, I am surprised there weren't warnings given after the Puig part of this. There is no excuse for throwing at someone's head under any circumstance. I didn't see the AB but would be curious if people agree with Olney that Greinke took multiple throws at Montero.

The real interesting part of the discussion is what the proper reaction should have been Greinke's efforts with Montero. Should he have been tossed? Should he have been plunked somewhere safe (like he plunked Montero)? Should the DBs have let the whole thing drop after Greinke hit Montero for his 2nd DB hit of the game?
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers