100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buck Showalter is an idiot

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Buck Showalter is an idiot

Postby thedude » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
Izenhart wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:additionally, If Joe Maddon was hitting Longoria 5th, everyone would be saying "That Joe Maddon is so unconventional, but he is so successful with his tactics. Other managers could learn from him."

apperently, Buck Showalter has not earned that same grace. As a matter of fact, Showalter gets such little respect that Cyboninja, for some rediculous reason, thinks he is a superior baseball mind than Buck.

I, on the other hand, think Showalter's resume speaks for itself. Maybe you should give it another glance, if you don't feel the same.

The fact that I could replace every instance of Buck Showalter with Dusty Baker does in fact debunk your case.

Touché

Same goes for Ron Washington. Just goes to show you how little the manager matters. You could do everything wrong on purpose and still make it to the World Series a couple times. Leaving Koji Uehara off of the 2011 World Series roster in favour of a 3rd string catcher that was never used, and Mark Lowe who is terrible, probably cost them a championship though. So you gotta try REALLY hard to make a difference as a manager, but it's possible.

The Front Office needs to take the lion's share of the blame for that fiasco. Though the bullpen usage in that World Series...
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:17 pm

I just believe that baseball managers still rely far too much on conventional wisdom, and conventional wisdom is not always right, in baseball or in life in general.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:25 pm

thedude wrote:I just believe that baseball managers still rely far too much on conventional wisdom, and conventional wisdom is not always right, in baseball or in life in general.

Couldn't agree more.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:36 am

Izenhart wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:additionally, If Joe Maddon was hitting Longoria 5th, everyone would be saying "That Joe Maddon is so unconventional, but he is so successful with his tactics. Other managers could learn from him."

apperently, Buck Showalter has not earned that same grace. As a matter of fact, Showalter gets such little respect that Cyboninja, for some rediculous reason, thinks he is a superior baseball mind than Buck.

I, on the other hand, think Showalter's resume speaks for itself. Maybe you should give it another glance, if you don't feel the same.

The fact that I could replace every instance of Buck Showalter with Dusty Baker does in fact debunk your case.

Got it. Now, everyone here is a better baseball mind than buck showalter. The only difference is that he proves is case on a baseball field (quite well, might I add) and you prove your case on an Internet chat board.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:43 am

He didn't everybody is smarter than Showalter. He said being a manager in and of itself doesn't make one infallible, because of guys that routinely make very stupid decisions.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Skin Blues wrote:He didn't everybody is smarter than Showalter. He said being a manager in and of itself doesn't make one infallible, because of guys that routinely make very stupid decisions.

Yeah, but buck showalter wins. Something that means a lot more than outsiders opinions.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers