Texas Rangers will look to "find time" for Profar.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Texas Rangers will look to "find time" for Profar..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Texas Rangers will look to "find time" for Profar..

Postby mac-unit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:31 am

Skin Blues wrote:I would hardly say his keeper value is skyrocketing. He's already MI eligible and that's pretty much the pinnacle of his positional value. I'd still be worried that he is just a Howie Kendrick type guy (.300 - 15 - 15) with a better glove.

That's what he most likely will be. With a little more SBs and maybe a couple years with 20 hr. I have no idea why some people value him so highly in fantasy.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hot4tx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:07 am

He hit 16 HRs through three levels last season as a 6', 165-lb 19-year-old. I honestly don't think he's projected to be much more than a 15-20 SB guy, but he was the #1 prospect because many do project him as more than a 15-20 HR guy once he fills out. Of course that doesn't mean he will - projecting guys this young is hit and miss - and he definitely hasn't lit the world on fire. However, in a dynasty league he could be a potential Cano, Utley , or Rollins type of mainstay in the middle of your infield. I'd say Howie Kendrick type is closer to his career path floor than it is to his most likely career path. Just IMO since I don't have a BP sub anymore so I can't tell you what they think his percentiles would look like.

/edit Again I don't expect him to be anything better than a replacement level guy in most mixed leagues this year. And I don't expect him to be a stud in 2014 or 2015 either. Hopefully by the time he's 23 in 2016 we'll see that potential that the scouts were raving about.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Metropolitans » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:57 am

guys like Trout, Harper, Machado, Puig, etc have really made people so IMPATIENT with young prospects, WOW! look at guys like D Brown & C Gomez finally breaking out, not that I think he'll take as long as them but im just saying some players need time to develop... just bc hes got 150 MLB ABs and hasn't "lit the world on fire" does not indicate anything! remember in 2011 Trout came up and logged 123 ABs where he batted a putrid .220, and then 2012 happened... this small of a sample size doesn't tell us anything at all. and lets not forget some highly regarded prospects come up and "lite the world on fire" for a half season, only to sh*t the bed their next full season... so lets just give him a but more time to determine that hes only a 15-15 guy... with that said I did claim he could be a Ben Zobrist type of player with upside, that's not bad at all. guys like Zobrist and Prado are taken inside the top 7 rounds, that's pretty darn good... Profars going to have 2b, 3b, SS, OF flexibility, that's pretty damn good for a guy who was listed as "UTIL" when the season started and he was expected to "only" get 2B in the event that Kinsler was dealt/moved.... In Keepers, that's HUGE bc it now gives owners so much flexibility. I just wish he was getting more PT, especially over the guys theyre trotting out in Left Field. He needs these ABs and im shocked they aren't giving him them
Last edited by Metropolitans on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby OBPlover » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:50 pm

There are trade rumors circling that the Rangers may be willing to trade Profar for Jose Bautista to have a shot at a World series run.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby Metropolitans » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:44 am

this is absurd that he's in the majors and getting no ABs. he's at a critical junction in his development and really needs ABs to adjust to ML pitching. I have no clue what Ron Washington is doing here, how does he support benching someone with this talent, especially considering guys like E. Beltre and Murphy are starting ahead of him... I'm honestly baffled?? :-?
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:52 am

You assume Ron Washington is a good decision maker.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Metropolitans » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:48 am

Skin Blues wrote:You assume Ron Washington is a good decision maker.

but is this even a 'tough decision' ? the guy comes into the season as the #1 prospect, ownership should force his hand with this, it shouldn't even be a decision. it should either be AAA or regular ABs in the ML, plain and simple... at this stage of his development, he desperately needs the reps
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AHF » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:27 pm

If Nelson Cruz gets suspended and Profar doesn't play every day, Washington needs to get his head examined.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby HighHeater » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:32 pm

I don't get the bashing this kids been getting... he hasn't been handled all that well by his organization but people are dropping Howie Kendrick comps on him off this start to his career where I see more Dustin Pedroia in him than anything, unless Kendrick had a 20hr season in him that im missing and actually had base stealing ability?
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:26 pm

I don't think it's bashing him to suggest he might "just" be an all-star middle infielder. Expectations get out of whack when people see the #1 prospect ranking and then also see what Trout/Harper/Machado have done at such a young age. That's not normal. He's also ranked so high for his defense, his bat is not nearly on par with Trout/Harper.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers