Texas Rangers will look to "find time" for Profar.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Texas Rangers will look to "find time" for Profar..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Metropolitans » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:37 am

when Ian Kinsler returns... so this has to be PHENOMENAL NEWS for Jurickson Profar owners, NO?!?!?! Kid should get SS eligibility for sure as a result of this, right??? Im so amped to own this kid in 3/4 leagues and in a Keeper League!!! ;-D
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wingman3110 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:43 am

Uh exactly where will they play him? He may get two starts a week tops if they decide to either rest or DH Kinsler/Andrus once or twice a week.

Have they fully committed to Kinsler at 1B already? I've heard nothing as of late...
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 123)

Re: Texas Rangers will look to "find time" for Profar..

Postby bayside » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Metropolitans wrote:this has to be PHENOMENAL NEWS for Jurickson Profar owners, NO?!?!?! Kid should get SS eligibility for sure as a result of this, right??? Im so amped to own this kid

uh I wouldnt get too excited yet.
what exactly makes you think he is SURE to get SS elg?
Itd be great if he played everyday but seems very unlikely. "finding time" for him could be 2 or 3 games a week for all we know.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:17 pm

Guys like this are over-rated for fantasy purposes. A big part of his real-life value is his glove. For 2012 he's basically Zack Cozart or Brandon Crawford, except without the guaranteed playing time and without SS eligibility yet. Maybe Howie Kendrick is a better comp, but again, without the playing time. Meh.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby Metropolitans » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:58 am

bayside wrote:
Metropolitans wrote:this has to be PHENOMENAL NEWS for Jurickson Profar owners, NO?!?!?! Kid should get SS eligibility for sure as a result of this, right??? Im so amped to own this kid

uh I wouldnt get too excited yet.
what exactly makes you think he is SURE to get SS elg?
Itd be great if he played everyday but seems very unlikely. "finding time" for him could be 2 or 3 games a week for all we know.

in Yahoos game, he only needs 5 starts or 10 appearances to gain SS and if he has an entire half season to do so, I believe its a certainty... thatll give me a 2b/SS eligible guy with solid speed/pop in a great home ballpark...

Skin Blues... I'm honestly WAY MORE excited to own Profar in my Keepers League, he could be a top 50 player next season with 2B + SS eligibility, that's GREAT value!!
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:34 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Guys like this are over-rated for fantasy purposes. A big part of his real-life value is his glove. For 2012 he's basically Zack Cozart or Brandon Crawford, except without the guaranteed playing time and without SS eligibility yet. Maybe Howie Kendrick is a better comp, but again, without the playing time. Meh.

As a Profar owner, I tend to agree with this assessment for 2013 purposes. I'm really not seeing how the playing time will be there once Kinsler comes back. It's not like he's been putting up Yasiel Puig numbers. His upside is more like Starlin Castro's rookie season which was good, but mostly because of batting average. Even that is hard to see happening considering how well anyone/everyone he might displace has been hitting this year. With his pedigree, he'll be a justifiable top 60ish pick for next season, depending on how he finishes 2013, but as of this moment, I'd almost rather have Rutledge who might not have the raw talent, but should be assured of regular playing time. If Profar is occupying a spot in your starting lineup right now, keep your eyes peeled for his replacement, because the train is about to come to a stop.

In my leagues, the best MIs available last week were guys like Steven Drew/Jose Iglesias and then it dropped off to guys like Aviles/Yunel Escobar/Descalso. That's why I was so quick to pounce on Rutledge, and so should you be, if you're counting on Profar right now.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Rangers manager Ron Washington said Jurickson Profar plan is to make him a functional left fielder. Seven to 10 days is a guess on timeline.

To date, Profar has played 2B, SS and 3B; not a single game in the outfield. Washington and the Rangers are trying to do anything they can to keep this young man in the majors and playing the outfield seems like their last hope. Assuming all goes well, Profar's fantasy value should keep climbing.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 95)

Postby phoenix » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:39 am

Anybody have thoughts on how much time Profar will get at SS? I'd like to keep him stashed on my bench for his potential flexibility at 2B/SS/OF but I'm not sure if/when he'll gain SS eligibility.

On the same note, do you guys think Profar with SS eligibility is a better option than Jimmy Rollins?
phoenix
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:32 pm

phoenix wrote:Anybody have thoughts on how much time Profar will get at SS? I'd like to keep him stashed on my bench for his potential flexibility at 2B/SS/OF but I'm not sure if/when he'll gain SS eligibility.

On the same note, do you guys think Profar with SS eligibility is a better option than Jimmy Rollins?

If you're in a league that allows eligibility after 5 starts, I'd say Profar will get there pretty darn soon, and even if you're in a 10 starts league, he should have it by the all star break. He's also chipped in at 3B once or twice so he does have the potential to be pretty flexible.

All that said, his inconsistent playing time is pretty frustrating and he isn't exactly setting the world on fire right now as it is. I've got 3 middle infield slots 2B/SS/MI, and I'm using Carpenter, Rutledge and Andrelton Simmons over Profar at the moment. I still love Profar's upside, but right now, it's hard to say he'll be any better than J-Roll.

He was the number 1 prospect in all of baseball coming into this season for a reason though. I'm certainly not thinking of dropping him.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Donnie740 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:23 am

Started at SS tonight, so I believe that makes 4 starts there. In Yahoo! that means just one more and he's SS/2B eligible for this year and next. Two games started at 3B.

Even with just 2B eligibility, Profar's a definite keeper for me - - getting SS and/or 3B too would just increase value. I love multiple eligibility.
12 Team 5x5 Keep 12
C Santana
1B Ortiz
2B Pedroia
3B Wright
SS HRam
OF McCutch
OF J Upton
OF E Young
DH Beltre
DL Bruce Trumbo[/b

SP [b]Gray