Gerrit Cole - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gerrit Cole

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gerrit Cole

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:21 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I was pretty impressed with Cole. I was skeptical given his minor league numbers and the fact I can't remember the last time a Pirate's pitching prospect made it.

Do you think he can be useful this year, pogo?

I was watching the replay of his start last night before I fell asleep and only saw the first two innings. I was impressed with the fastball and he was throwing a lot of strikes. From what I have read about the start, some people have said that he looks hittable and the lack of Ks this year in the minors scares me.

Yeah, he worth giving a shot. The lack of K's is weird cause his fastball looked good to me. He seemed pretty composed for his first MLB start too. Looks like he will get the Dodgers and Angels his next two starts. Avoiding the Reds series would be nice.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mac-unit » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:50 pm

His fastball is straight and he doesn't use his off speed stuff atall. He made them swing and miss 8 times only. I think he's a sell high in all formats
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby J35J » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:53 pm

mac-unit wrote:His fastball is straight and he doesn't use his off speed stuff atall.

This is the key with all young players. Plenty of young guys anymore have mid/upper 90's fastballs...it's what they have to go with it that really matter. And alot of times guys will actually have a decent curve or slider or something just by looking at the break of it but it's not a consistant pitch that they can throw on a 2-0 count or 3-1 count or something and MLB hitters can just spit on that crap and wait for the mistakes. Too many times, guys fly through the minors because of a top end fastball or even if they have a curveball that they can get all the minor league guys to chase every time but big league guys don't often chase that stuff unless you prove you can throw it consistantly and for strikes and straight 98mph fastballs aren't that difficult for these guys to hit if you don't really have anything else to go with it...just ask Herrera or Gausman...

With that said, I have no idea what Cole has, I didn't get to see him throw and I really don't know what he's capable of with his secondary stuff, but if he indeed has been relying on his fastball, I'd probably sell too before he goes the way of Gausman.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:14 pm

some interesting notes on GC's Ks and his philosophy:
by Scott White | Senior Fantasy Writer

(06/12/13) For the most part, Gerrit Cole's major-league debut Tuesday against the Giants was a successful one. Some will quibble over the lack of strikeouts, especially since he underwhelmed with only 6.2 per nine innings in his 12 starts at Triple-A Indianapolis, but I liked his response to the naysayers:

""When you have a lead, it allows you to be aggressive," Cole said. "If there's no one on base, I'm going to just challenge guys.""

Waiver Wire: Drawing a Blanks
Nando Di Fino
Senior Fantasy Writer

In 2012, across three levels, Cole struck out 136 batters in 132 innings, good for a K/9 of 9.3. In Triple-A this season, however, Cole saw his K/9 drop to 6.2. But this line was almost perfectly telegraphed by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's "Bucco Blog" a few days before Cole's debut, revelaing that the downturn in strikeout rates is something Cole is not only aware of, but actually striving for:

"I don't go for strikeouts," [Cole] said."I know I can get them when I want to. But I know it's really important to challenge guys in the zone and beat them in the zone. When you have a game where you throw 100 pitches in five innings and strike out 10, a lot of people that weren't there write that up as a dominant outing. What is really dominating is Matt Cain throwing a complete game with 100 pitches and giving up just two hits with two strikeouts.

So many other things are more important than strikeouts, like the pace of the game and keeping your fielders ready. ... You can't think about what other people are writing about you -- why haven't I struck out a 100 million people yet? -- you have to get that (stuff) out of your head."

So I wouldn't expect Cole to strike out a ton of batters this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he mixes in a few games with 7-10 strikeouts when the mood strikes him. Still, the ratios should be low enough to make him a valuable pitcher going forward in most formats.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantas ... g-a-blanks
Last edited by Krunk City King$ on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 pm

So Cole is basically saying that he can win against BAPIP, xFIP and the other SABR stats?

I didn't see him pitch based on the strike:ball pitch ratio and his comments it almost sounds like he's not trying to hit the edges of the strikezone. Things aren't going to go well if you pitch in the middle of the plate in the majors. You can get away with that in A/AA ball if you are throwing 95 but the majors are a different story.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:56 pm

How did he look today? Only 1K in 5.2IP. The line doesn't look so hot.

He gets @LAA next and I'm definitely sitting him.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby paisano1 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Did you guys read what Cole said at all? As much as he would love someone to tell him not to pitch in the middle of the strike zone I think he has that under control. He has put his team in position to win the games he has pitched and they have.

Keeping a good pace and knowing where your fielders are can help a pitcher create his own sabrmetrics. This is the type of guy who puts the ball where he knows theres a better chance the batter will foul it off or hit it towards a fielder. Strike outs nice and all but by no means the only recipe to win games.

Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux were phenomenal and did it with pin point control and the ability to out smart the batter. I like this kid.
paisano1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:16 pm

If I wanted a new Fausto Carmona, I'd roster Roberto Hernandez.

Good luck to him if he wants to fight the BABIP gods. He isn't doing it on my roster.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:58 am

paisano1 wrote:Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux were phenomenal and did it with pin point control and the ability to out smart the batter. I like this kid.

Until Cole starts getting called strikes six inches outside like Glavine I think I'm going to look to someone else. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby jorgesca » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:17 pm

That was Trevor Bauer's excuse for not throwing strikes, he said he can throw strikes and keep the BB down if he wanted to. He sounded way smarter and saber known, but it really hasn't worked out too well.
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers