Gerrit Cole - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gerrit Cole

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gerrit Cole

Postby saemick » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Just read on NBC Sports "Hardball Talk" that Gerrit Cole “very likely” to make MLB debut Tuesday:

Pirates stud prospect Gerrit Cole, who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft out of UCLA, is “very likely” to make his big-league debut Tuesday versus the Giants, according to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.

Cole came into the season ranked as a top-10 prospect by both Baseball America and MLB.com, and the 22-year-old right-hander has started 12 games at Triple-A with a 2.91 ERA and 47/28 K/BB ratio in 68 innings.

Averaging just 6.2 strikeouts per nine innings while walking 3.7 batters per nine innings doesn’t exactly scream for a promotion to the majors and Cole has yet to record more than five strikeouts in a start this season. On the other hand he’s held opponents to a measly .190 batting average and has tossed seven shutout innings in back-to-back starts. And the Pirates need a starter to fill in for the injured Wandy Rodriguez.

Not sure if it's for the rest of the year or just to fill in for Wandy; either way worth picking up IMO
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Gerrit Cole

Postby J35J » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:43 pm

He's been pretty, blah, this year so I'll be curious if he flips the switch when he comes up or he'll continue to be blah...
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wingman3110 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:52 pm

J35J wrote:He's been pretty, blah, this year so I'll be curious if he flips the switch when he comes up or he'll continue to be blah...

Yeah where's the strikeouts this year??
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Maybe he's been working on some secondary offerings in AAA, which has led to the increased BB, etc.? Any reports on any of that?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Official. Starting Tuesday against the Ginats.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Who's got the juevos to start him? SF ranks 16th in Runs Scored and 17th in Team OPS this season. vs RHP 15th in Runs Scored and 16th in Team OPS.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Tennessee Jed » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:26 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Who's got the juevos to start him? SF ranks 16th in Runs Scored and 17th in Team OPS this season. vs RHP 15th in Runs Scored and 16th in Team OPS.

I've had the balls to start Bauer and Gausman this year, how much worse could Cole be?
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 am

I was pretty impressed with Cole. I was skeptical given his minor league numbers and the fact I can't remember the last time a Pirate's pitching prospect made it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote: and the fact I can't remember the last time a Pirate's pitching prospect made it.

Kris Benson ;-7
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I was pretty impressed with Cole. I was skeptical given his minor league numbers and the fact I can't remember the last time a Pirate's pitching prospect made it.

Do you think he can be useful this year, pogo?

I was watching the replay of his start last night before I fell asleep and only saw the first two innings. I was impressed with the fastball and he was throwing a lot of strikes. From what I have read about the start, some people have said that he looks hittable and the lack of Ks this year in the minors scares me.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers