Ryan Braun - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Braun

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ryan Braun

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:36 pm

copter wrote:What type of starting pitcher can one expect to get for Braun right now? I know I'd be selling low, but I have enough depth on my team to withstand the loss of him, especially if I can get a good SP as a result.

Would one of Kershaw, Verlander, Felix be an unreasonable return to ask for at this point?

I wouldn't lead off negotiations with anything other than one of those aces. I bet somebody bites although some might be scared off. They are getting the deal, not you.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:47 pm

copter wrote: Kershaw, Verlander,

id start and stop my search right there.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Keeper leagues can have weird rules and salaries and stuff but straight up in a re-draft roto league, any top 25 hitter is more valuable than any pitcher. Team need could come into play for borderline guys, but Braun still has to be top 10 even with his issues (thumb/lack of steals/biogenesis).
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby thedude » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:38 am

jfg wrote:Not exactly, because I highly doubt he beats the appeals process this time. But, there will be one so it's anybody's guess how long that will take. I would guess August would be the earliest a decision would be made, but I'd bet that a final decision wouldn't be made until the offseason. Considering that there aren't failed tests, there's going to be a lot for lawyers to argue.

There will be a lot of arguing, but it should not take that much time to actually have the hearing. It is probably more a question about how much time Braun is going to be afforded to prepare his case.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby hot4tx » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:39 am

copter wrote:Would one of Kershaw, Verlander, Felix be an unreasonable return to ask for at this point?

Assuming you are talking about redraft league I think so. I'm not the guy that drafts the elite pitchers since I go hitting early, but people paid a high round pick for those guys. Braun hasn't been stealing bases like he used to (which he may make up for that or may not, but either way it adds risk), Braun has an injured thumb right now, and there's a real chance (maybe 50/50?) that at any time he could be suspended for the rest of the season. I think there's significant risk with Braun right now and I think if you go after elite SPs or any top-2 round type of player all you will accomplish is to offend another owner.

Maybe you could offer Braun for a top pitcher with issues (Strasburg, Price, Cain) since they also have risk. Or maybe for a Greinke, Sale, Latos tier of pitcher. But I think if you offer for an elite guy you could alienate a potential trade partner. At the very most shoot the elite pitcher owners an email and see if they are interested in Braun instead of just offering that trade.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby jorgesca » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:20 pm

I had offered Matt Harvey and Marcell Ozuna for Braun, but I cancelled it after the aggravation of the thumb injury.
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

Postby copter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:24 pm

jorgesca wrote:I had offered Matt Harvey and Marcell Ozuna for Braun, but I cancelled it after the aggravation of the thumb injury.

I'd likely be all over accepting that for Braun if not for the fact that I already owned Ozuna and Harvey. None of the owners of Verlander, Kershaw, or Felix have enough interest in Braun to discuss any further.
copter
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Braun was put on the DL.
Brewers placed OF Ryan Braun on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 9, with a right thumb contusion.
Braun has been dealing with the injury for quite some time now, and the team feels it's in his best interest to shut him down completely and let it heal. Assuming he doesn't suffer any setbacks, Braun should still be expected to return before the end of June. Logan Schafer has been filling in while Braun was sidelined, and sees a substantial boost to his fantasy value while receiving everyday at-bats.

if you listen to rotoworld, Logan Schafer should see a substantial boost in value. so what is a substantial boost from nothing? I guess he has potential if you want to take a shot, probably more so for a deep league.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 72)

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:03 am

lol, for somebody that doesn't like rotoworld, you sure read em allot. :-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:07 am

wrveres wrote:lol, for somebody that doesn't like rotoworld, you sure read em allot. :-D

it's one of the first sites I read for news. I think they are really good at providing updated news. but I don't care for their own personal opinions on things. I might not have as much of a problem if their news and opinions were not used by yahoo fantasy baseball. this is the first year yahoo has used just rotoworld. I think last year it was rotowire.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 72)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers