Ryan Braun - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Braun

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ryan Braun

Postby wingman3110 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:45 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:What makes you think it's a virtue of luck? It's possible he's lost a step, and that's why he's getting caught more.

Ryan Braun on luck and SB's

First and foremost a lot of stolen bases is about luck. I betcha I’ve had 8 to 10 bases stolen when guys have either fouled the ball off or put it in play. That’s something you can’t control as a base runner.

Told ya!
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball77 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 pm

It was very interesting reading through this thread with the recent developments in the Biogenesis case in mind.
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Ryan Braun - What would you trade?

Postby converge241 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:27 am

He's (of course) being shopped in many leagues now. What would you risk on him for the possible reward he avoids any suspension this year while keeping in mind there's a possibility that you could get screwed.

Brauns a guy who technically for a 3rd window of time now has a cloud over him (draft time 2012, late draft time 2013, and now) and those first two times those who invested sometimes at a slight discount were rewarded handsomely.

ex: I got offered Braun for either Stanton or Fowler in one league and that question is more for pickups and trades but for all owners what would you be willing to send from your teams 1 for 1 or hypothetically
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby jfg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:20 pm

I'd trade for him, and I'm not giving him up. Everything about the case seems like it's going to be awhile before the players actually receive their suspensions and awhile longer before appeals goes through. It's risky to assume that, but the nice thing about Braun is that you know that the cloud doesn't affect his play at all. Those steals are still worrisome though so I don't think I'd be trading another 1st rounder for him. With Stanton coming back soon, I'm not sure if I'd pull the trigger on that. Fowler's a no brainer. That's worth every risk that surrounds Braun right now.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby tyson56 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:33 pm

I hate selling low, and this is where Braun's value is lowest. However, I'm competing, so having a potentially suspended player is not really acceptable on my team. Should I trade him for Kershaw in a keeper? I've got a sick offense even without Braun, but it feels dirty giving up one of the best fantasy studs in the game for the past few years.

This sucks whatever happens, and it is a bit of a dark cloud over Braun yet again. But watch him not get suspended and put up another 40-30 season, it's exactly what happened last time they tried to punish him.
tyson56
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jfg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Not exactly, because I highly doubt he beats the appeals process this time. But, there will be one so it's anybody's guess how long that will take. I would guess August would be the earliest a decision would be made, but I'd bet that a final decision wouldn't be made until the offseason. Considering that there aren't failed tests, there's going to be a lot for lawyers to argue.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:44 am

wingman3110 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:What makes you think it's a virtue of luck? It's possible he's lost a step, and that's why he's getting caught more.

Ryan Braun on luck and SB's

First and foremost a lot of stolen bases is about luck. I betcha I’ve had 8 to 10 bases stolen when guys have either fouled the ball off or put it in play. That’s something you can’t control as a base runner.

Told ya!

Braun believing in himself doesn't make me wrong. Of course he's going to be confident in his abilities. I'm sure there have also been times when he would have been thrown out, but guys either fouled the ball off or put it in play. It goes both ways.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wingman3110 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:35 am

He stole a base!!!!
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby hot4tx » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:18 pm

He's (of course) being shopped in many leagues now. What would you risk on him for the possible reward he avoids any suspension this year while keeping in mind there's a possibility that you could get screwed.

I just traded Domonic Brown and Yaisel Puig for him. It is a keeper league, but this was basically a trade hoping to win this year at the expense of the next couple years. My hope is that between MLB trying to be methodical and Braun's lawyers appealing and looking for loopholes any suspension wouldn't start until after the fantasy season is over. Braun's not really keepable (would cost $57 to keep next year) and Puig and Brown will both be kept basically half-price next year, but there's only two years left and then league disbands to make changes and start anew so I pulled the trigger.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby copter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:18 pm

What type of starting pitcher can one expect to get for Braun right now? I know I'd be selling low, but I have enough depth on my team to withstand the loss of him, especially if I can get a good SP as a result.

Would one of Kershaw, Verlander, Felix be an unreasonable return to ask for at this point?
copter
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers