How many DL slots? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How many DL slots?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How many DL slots?

Postby angels7777 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:05 pm

How many DL slots does your league have? We currently have 2. A league member wants 4. What are pros/cons of each?
5x5 H2H, NK 10 tms

C-
1- Fielder
2- Carpenter
3- Wright
SS- Desmond
OF- J. Upton, Trout, Heyward
UTL- Werth
BN- E. Cab
SP- Hamls, Gio, Latos, Tehran, D. Salzar, Lirano, Grza, Kluber, Lincum, Lacky
RP- Cishek, Veras, Soria, Brothers, Hawkins
DL- Crain
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 500)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How many DL slots?

Postby zelts3 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:36 pm

I am a commissioner in a 14 team mixed 5x5 root league. We roster 23 guys with a NA and 2 DL spots. Fact of the matter is, if the injury bug hits your team, you should be forced to make some tougher decisions. You shouldn't be able to roster more people for free.

I think you have it good with 2. I would be against moving to 4. Many teams don't use 2, some teams get hit harder. It is a fun variable in the league. More DL spots, means you can get more guys for free, and if they turn out, you got them for nothing. That isn't too fair.
zelts3
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mkultra » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:47 pm

If you've got bench spots, I would not recommend any more than 2 DL spots. Like zelts3 says above, you should be encouraging your managers to make tough choices, not hoard players.

On the other hand, the Cafe leagues have unlimited DL spots, but no bench, which makes for an interesting dynamic (I don't think you can acquire guys directly to your DL).
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby jefferey13 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:54 am

I'm in a 10 team and we have 25 spots + 3 DL spots. I think the amount of spots is relative to the league size. Since we are a smaller 10 team league I don't want to keep the teams small and have everyone doing mass drops/aqs week to week because the WW is full of solid talent and no one ever tries to look for up and comers.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 154)

Postby Quackman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:21 pm

All my leagues are changing to 2 or 1. Main reason is it keeps the player pool flowing and makes it more fun. It makes an owner choose (after the dl is filled) between dropping a good player or taking up a bench spot. Ussually it will come down to how good the player is and how much a team chooses to endure. Makes it more fun overall and feels more like a baseball team.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 149)

Postby ryan2714 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:42 am

We have a 10 team 28 player roster with 3 DL spots. I think our DL format works well I've never had any complaints from any members and I personally like it as well. Anything more than 3 I think is counter productive.

Pros:
Its a long season, players get hurt. In most teams cases your going to have someone miss a significant amount of time.
Gives flexibility when teams has i.e. Tulo or in my case Crawford who's always hurt and going on DL, having 3 DL spots doesn't create a log jam if a normal player has to spend a little time on there as well.

Cons:
If a team doesn't have injury prone players or has no one on the DL having 3 spots to DL someone can promote teams to pick up players just to stash on the DL, in my case I did it with VMart last year hoping for a end of the year comeback.

I think 2 or 3 is the magic number.
ryan2714
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Return to Commissioner's Corner