Playing with numbers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Playing with numbers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Playing with numbers

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 30, 2013 10:30 am

Maybe you shouldn't start a thread every time you get a 90 second thought in your head and then get mad when somebody actually puts effort into discussing it. If all you wanted was jokes about Matt Kemp or Matt Harvey then maybe it'd be better suited in the General Talk forum.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Thu May 30, 2013 10:35 am

Skin Blues wrote:Maybe you shouldn't start a thread every time you get a 90 second thought in your head and then get mad when somebody actually puts effort into discussing it. If all you wanted was jokes about Matt Kemp or Matt Harvey then maybe it'd be better suited in the General Talk forum.

Hhhmmm...not really my style, but you might be the biggest dingleberry on this whole site.

Mod edit
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby apz » Thu May 30, 2013 10:39 am

Skin Blues wrote:Maybe you shouldn't start a thread every time you get a 90 second thought in your head and then get mad when somebody actually puts effort into discussing it. If all you wanted was jokes about Matt Kemp or Matt Harvey then maybe it'd be better suited in the General Talk forum.
It's post like yours that make people like me not want to post. :-t
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 30, 2013 10:42 am

Granted, I never put much thought into it, but my gut reaction to this was "that's a lot more guys than I imagined there would be" -- it seems pretty common. It's interesting how much higher Strasburg's was than the field's last season, and that it appears we can expect quite a bit of regression as the sample grows in this season's batch. I do wonder if it's a ratio that holds somewhat consistent over a several year span for players or what, though.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 30, 2013 10:46 am

My point is that it's very simple to test how valuable this stat is, how predictive it is. But he doesn't even want to discuss it. The second it was scrutinized he sticks his fingers in his ears and claims that he didn't want to talk about it in the first place. And this is the kind of activity we should coddle and encourage? People unwilling to discuss things that they want to start a thread about?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)

Postby J35J » Thu May 30, 2013 11:17 am

Skin Blues wrote:My point is that it's very simple to test how valuable this stat is, how predictive it is. But he doesn't even want to discuss it. The second it was scrutinized he sticks his fingers in his ears and claims that he didn't want to talk about it in the first place. And this is the kind of activity we should coddle and encourage? People unwilling to discuss things that they want to start a thread about?

Nah, you got it wrong. You wanted to dismiss it instead of discuss it, and if that wasn't your intention then you really need to rethink how you come across because from where I'm sitting that's always how you come across. You could have done it many different ways and came to the same conclusion but it's always the same with you...you want to dismiss people and thoughs immediately if you don't agree or like what's said...I can almost see you looking down your nose at people as you make your reply's. It's almost a guarantee anytime you post which makes people immediately go on the defensive with you.

This is a community...or it tries to be, where most of the people around here like each other and like casual conversation from time to time and hard core conversation from time to time but generally it's all done with good intentions and like for each other for the most part....never with you though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby ayebatter » Thu May 30, 2013 11:18 am

Skin Blues wrote:My point is that it's very simple to test how valuable this stat is, how predictive it is.

Don't think he ever claimed it was valuable...

J35J wrote:Was just looking at some stuff, and not sure if you can find this stat anywhere but found it interesting. How many guys have more K's than Hits and Walks combined...

Skin Blues wrote:I think this is not very useful.

Never claimed it was useful...

J35J wrote: found it interesting.

J35J wrote:
Well, it wasn't really supposed to be anything magical.

Skin Blues wrote:My apologies.

Probably should have left it at that and gone on to something that interested you.

but no.....

Skin Blues wrote:My point is that it's very simple to test how valuable this stat is, how predictive it is.

You continue to belabor a point that was never intended by the original post.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1604)

Postby ayebatter » Thu May 30, 2013 11:20 am

Now that I've had my say ya'll can take this up thru PMs if you see the need. :^
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1604)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu May 30, 2013 4:04 pm

lol - dude did somebody step on your kitten today?
I read this post and get douchechills galore
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers