Difficult situation with the league commish - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Difficult situation with the league commish

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Difficult situation with the league commish

Postby Wolfpackman » Tue May 28, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm a co-commissioner (There are two of us) on a CBS league. We both handle the day to day but final say on all league matters goes to a third person, the main commish for the site. Yesterday, another league member who is playing the commish this week contacted me to tell me his lineup had changed after the first game started and they were supposed to be locked. In looking into the allegation, I found that both the main commissioner and the other co-commish have used their powers to change their lineups after the lock multiple times this season (11 days for the other co-commish and 7 days for the main). I brought this up and tried to discuss it with them but I've been told it's being "overblown" and threats to take away my commish status have been leveled against me (again....also happened after our terrible draft experience this year when I was told I was complaining too much and he was this close to de-commishing me). I've already told them I will be informing the rest of the league about this issue. Should I just go ahead and post the email exchange from this morning for the rest of the league? I'm on the verge of dropping out mid-season due to these league frustrations.
Wolfpackman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Difficult situation with the league commish

Postby mac-unit » Tue May 28, 2013 2:42 pm

I'd email the league minus those two guys.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kevinkallberg » Tue May 28, 2013 2:55 pm

That's not right, I would also e-mail the league minus the two involved in cheating. It's ridiculous that people use the advantage of being a commish.

I run multiple leagues myself and I have found that by having a co-commish brings more trouble than what it's worth as my vision for the league may differ from a co-commish's vision.

Maybe go out on your own and run your own league, try and bring the existing owners of that league over too?

Good luck
kevinkallberg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Wolfpackman » Tue May 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks very much for the advice. I hadn't actually thought about emailing the others in the league, though it concerns me that doing so will just increase the tension between me and the main commish.

Absolutely agreed that there are too many cooks in the kitchen here. Originally, I had the idea for this particular league but gave commissioner duties over to my good friend as I absolutely hate the headache of collecting money. Obviously, it has led to a whole host of new problems.
Wolfpackman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MadDog36 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:14 pm

You need to have proof of the changes (assuming weekly league) screen shot - use imgur or photo uploading software to be able to paste it to the bb or hyperlink it so they can view it. Make sure you have proof otherwise its hearsay.

Make your thoughts public...maybe do an inquiry (with the proof) to CBS and have them strip them of power and IDK try someone else...if that can be done..or just try to make a new leageu for next year and just finish out the season.

Maybe you could threaten to leave if another example of power abuse shows its ugly head (and you need to watch like a hawk).
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1937)

Postby mkultra » Wed May 29, 2013 2:19 pm

Having three commissioners in a single league is, IMO, a problem- what's the point?

Setting that aside, this is pretty clearly cheating and totally unacceptable. It is in no way "overblown". If you can prove it happened (I believe CBS should show this in the transaction history), I think the appropriate penalty is for those two to take a zero on each day they set their lineup illegally.

To be honest, that they responded to your protests with threats to remove your commish power would be reason enough for me to leave the league. It's not worth playing with petty tyrants.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby kevinkallberg » Wed May 29, 2013 4:20 pm

" I absolutely hate the headache of collecting money." I don't think he'd want to quit the league since it's a money league. Another way to approach it is if there are numerous managers in the league that are upset just as much as you are, and the 2 guys that cheating the league to win money are commish's, then maybe everyone should get their money back. You'd still be able to finish out the season, just not for money.

I know if I was apart of the league, I'd be PISSED if I paid into it and the commish's were cheating. It's lame.
kevinkallberg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Goatrider » Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 pm

I do not think this is overblown at all. In fact I think the discussion does not goes far enough. The league in which I commish, a former commissioner was caught changing his salaries to stay under cap. He was immediately dismissed from the league and banned for life. And this is a live league, face-to-face. Cheating commissioners destroy leagues and why do you want cheaters in your league anyways. I'd start recruiting replacements.

And we have a three commissioner system: 2 do the dirty work, the 3rd backups and acts as deciding vote when the first two disagree/outta town. Works like a charm and has for years. I'd report them, kick them out, you take over commish, appoint two new ones under the above structure, and then recruit new owners. It saved our league.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby ryan2714 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Thats a BS move by your other commissioners. Email the league minus the other commissioners. I'm a commish and I'd never even thinking about pulling something like that esp. in a money league. Very disrespectful.
ryan2714
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Commissioner's Corner