Michael Wacha. Cardinals pitching prospect - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Michael Wacha. Cardinals pitching prospect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Michael Wacha. Cardinals pitching prospect

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun May 26, 2013 12:52 pm

the Cardinals have had numerous injuries to the starting rotation, the latest to Gast yesterday.
the Cardinals have a pitching prospect in the minors, Michael Wacha. 2012 1st round draft pick. he could be an option for Thursday.

Cardinals reporter @LangoschMLB
Michael Wacha no longer listed as Sunday's pitcher for Triple-A Memphis. Have to wonder if that means he'll start for #STLCards Thursday.

rotoworld write up today.
There's a good chance that means he'll be starting this week for the Cardinals following the injury to John Gast (shoulder). Wacha wowed the Cards during spring training and is off to a great start at Memphis, posting a 2.05 ERA and 0.95 WHIP over his first nine outings. He should be picked up in all fantasy formats.

minor league numbers.
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... position=P

anyone know what type of expectations there would be for Wacha?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Michael Wacha. Cardinals pitching prospect

Postby Skin Blues » Sun May 26, 2013 1:11 pm

FIP was 4.00 and K% was 16.5 in AAA over 9 starts. That's pretty weak. I don't think I'll be going after him in mixed leagues.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby kab21 » Sun May 26, 2013 2:44 pm

I think Wacha has been pushed too fast. he was a college pitcher that demolished everyone in relief last year but he's shown that he wasn't really ready for AAA much less the MLB this year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby Norby » Sun May 26, 2013 4:43 pm

Yeah, cause that 2.05 ERA in the hitter-friendly PCL is weak sauce.

Sorry, i'm buying. Dude is a stud. I'll go ahead and say right now that he'll end up with better numbers than Shelby Miller the rest of the way.
Norby
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BChinly » Sun May 26, 2013 5:24 pm

He's legit. The only reason why the strikeout totals are down is because he is learning to be more of a starting pitcher. He's going for ground ball and weak hit outs to be more efficient.
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 124)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun May 26, 2013 7:09 pm

here is a write up from razzball for Wacha on May 1st.
Believe it or not, this isn’t the first time I’ve covered Wacha in the Scouting the Unknown series. I actually wrote a brief report on him a little less than a year ago while highlighting some notable draft prospects. You can read that post here. Now, it may seem like I’m double-dipping, and I suppose, technically, I am. But since last June, there are very few prospects whose stocks have soared quite like Wacha’s has. Suffice to say, there’s plenty of reason to revisit his outlook, applying what we’ve learned over the past year or so in watching the 21-year-old compete at the professional level.

The Cardinals drafted Wacha 19th overall last June, and at the time, most viewed that selection as a smart, safe pick, but not necessarily one of the high-upside variety. The initial reports suggested a big-framed righty with a solid fastball, a plus changeup, and a breaking ball offering that was fringy at best. Fast-forward 11 months. At 6-6, 210, Wacha still features a big, durable pitcher’s frame — he hasn’t shrunk any, which is good. His arsenal, however, has come a long way. He’s added a couple ticks to the fastball, which now touches 95 with some consistency, and he still spots it with great command. The changeup continues to be a plus weapon. The curve is the most notable improvement — a late-breaking power curve that he throws with confidence and deception. That pitch has gone from a borderline unusable offering, to a serious weapon with plus potential at the big league level.

Wacha’s 2012 numbers were just plain silly: 0.86 ERA, 0.57 WHIP, 17.1 K/9 in 11 appearances across three levels (Rookie, High-A, Double-A). Those 11 outings, however, only tallied up to 21 IP. The Cardinals were keeping his workload light, and Wacha never worked through a batting order more than one time through. That was the only criticism, the only reason to expect regression as he stepped up to Triple-A ball this season. Well, Wacha’s done a fine job of quelling those concerns so far. He’s found a groove in his last three starts, allowing only 2 runs and 11 hits across 20 frames. The K’s are down, but that was to be expected. The command is still working, though, and the stuff is MLB-ready. With Joe Kelly and Trevor Rosenthal entrenched in the Cardinals bullpen, Wacha could be next in line for starts in St. Louis.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rib217 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Wacha vs Gausman 2013?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun May 26, 2013 9:09 pm

Gausman. The K's just aren't there for Wacha. The excuse that he's learning to become a starting pitcher doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, either. Reminds me of people saying not to worry about Bauer's walks in AAA last year because he could lower them when he needed to. It's hard to expect more from a guy in MLB than he's been doing in the minors, and I wouldn't even want an inexperienced starter with a 4.0 FIP and 5.8 K/9 if he'd be doing it in the majors, let alone in AAA, even if it's the PCL. The PCL is difficult because it inflates homeruns, not because it's hard to get Ks. I personally think he'll get torched and sent back to the minors, and the Cardinals will go with one of their many other top prospect pitchers to fill in for the injuries.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun May 26, 2013 9:20 pm

what would be the difference in Wacha pitching in the NL compared to Gausman in the AL?
personally I prefer pitchers from the NL.
K's are nice, but you don't need to have a high number of K's to be effective. Wacha's K's are down, but he is also only giving up 6.0 H/9.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Sun May 26, 2013 9:32 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:what would be the difference in Wacha pitching in the NL compared to Gausman in the AL?
personally I prefer pitchers from the NL.
K's are nice, but you don't need to have a high number of K's to be effective. Wacha's K's are down, but he is also only giving up 6.0 H/9.

He'd need to be amazing in ERA and WHIP in order to get by with a K/9 less than 6. There are very few pitchers in the majors worth rostering in a 12 team mixed league with a K/9 that low.

And in a 9 game sample size, are you going to put more stock into his BABIP, or his K%? I know which one I'd bet on, and it's the one that stabilizes after 70 Batters Faced, not the one that stabilizes after 2000 Balls in Play.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers