My first official post... I need some good advice... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My first official post... I need some good advice...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My first official post... I need some good advice...

Postby Junkyard Junkie » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:42 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here... well sort of. You see, I registered here at the Cafe before the 2003 season when I found this place doing a google search for fantasy baseball sites. At first I just lurked around a little bit and read the various threads whenever there was a topic that I needed information on. By the time I felt like I had anything to contribute I had forgotten my username and was too lazy to figure it out so I just posted as a guest. I did this a few times and for one reason or another I eventually stopped visiting the Cafe altogether. It wasn't until recently that I came back for the 2004 season and I must say that this place has really gotten HUGE! Anyway, I decided to dig up my old username and hopefully start posting on a regular basis. This brings me to my first official post...

If there is one thing that really irritates me in fantasy baseball it is managers who feel the need to veto every single trade without even taking a second to look if just maybe it makes sense for the teams involved. I'm afraid one of the leagues I'm in this year is full of these types of managers. This is my 6th season of fantasy baseball and never have I been in a league so trigger-happy with the veto button. So far there have been seven trades accepted in this league and only three have actually passed (perhaps half of the owners didn't check the site those three days ;-) ).

The latest deal to fall victim to the league vote involved me and another owner who was looking to move Pedro Martinez from his team for some hitting. Since I needed to improve my starting pitching I made him an offer of Todd Helton for his Pedro and Frank Thomas. He accepted my offer and I figured all was well good until I just checked my email. Turns out the trade was vetoed not even 10 hours after it had been accepted. What really has me upset besides the veto itself is the fact that nobody had the balls to post anything on the message board explaining why they voted the way they did.

Anyway, I decided to come here and ask you guys what you think before I post a message on the league board blasting the other owners for their actions. Do I have a legitimate gripe here or am I overreacting by being upset about this. I figure I should get an unbiased opinion on this situation before I speak up about my frustration. Am I missing something here that the majority of the other owners in my league are apparently seeing? Please let me know what you guys think. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Junkyard Junkie
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:48 pm

That's a good trade, nothng wrong whatsoever. I suggest you drop this league since it appears to be no fun anyways and find one where trades are only vetoed by the commish because of probable collusion.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:48 pm

First off, Welcome to the Cafe'! ;-D

As to the trade, I wouldn't have vetoed it and don't believe it should have been vetoed. It's a fair deal. I agree with posting a thread on the league's message board and asking why it was vetoed. If you get any responses then at least you will know what they are thinking and can show them the error or their ways. Lol. :-D

Look forward to seeing you around. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Green Monstah » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:49 pm

how many votes does it take in your league to veto a trade? I usually set it at 6 votes needed to overturn a trade in a 10 man league (so 6 out of the 8 teams not involved in the trade have to veto it.)

I defenitly don't see this as an unfair trade...too put it in perspective, here are the draft results for the 3 players in espn:

Helton: 5.5

Pedro: 14
Big Hurt: 99

Its like trading a 1st round pick for a 2nd and a 10th. I think the people in your league have to get their hands away from the veto button :-t
Green Monstah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:52 pm

vetoes should only be used when it seems like people are acting together to form a super team. they shouldnt be used simply because someone doesnt like a trade or doesnt think it is completely even. it isnt up to the league to protect other owners from making trades in which someone seems to be giving up too much. i have seen what looked like lopsided trades in the beginning of the season be completely even or reversed by the end of the season.

i would post a message stating the reason why it is a reasonable trade (similar player value and fills needs for each team) and ask people why they vetoed it. follow it up with a discussion to arrive at a consensus as to what exactly constitutes a vetoable trade.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Junkyard Junkie » Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:51 am

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies and support. I went ahead and did as you guys suggested and posted a message on the league board. I explained why I believe the trade was fair and also explained that the one and only purpose of the veto system is to prevent collusion and should only be used when two or more teams are suspected of conspiring together. Unfortunately, I only got a response out of one other member of the league and it was not the type of comment I was hoping for. Here is what he had to say...
im not going to allow an unfair trade that will make one team so much better, i am a smart fantasy player and understand that i have to look at how one trade will help the one team and if that team will become better then mine, then i wont accept it. I dont care if you needed starting pitching, maybe you shoudl have drafted it

I'm so upset right now that I have no idea how I should even respond to these idiotic comments. I'm considering just dumping this league altogether but that wouldn't be fair to the other managers even if they are jerkoffs. I know that for me personally there is nothing I hate more than inactive managers. I just don't know what other choices I really have. Next to the draft, trading is my favorite aspect of fantasy baseball and if I can't trade then I don't even see the point in playing.

Anyway, I would love to hear more advice from you guys regarding my situation. If anyone else has had a similar issue I would like to hear what you did to handle it. All of your replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Junkyard Junkie
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Mighty Monks » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:49 am

dump the league, that is BS, he blatently said he will not allow any trades that make other teams better than his. This definately not worth your attention, dump your team and be gone to another league where people pay attention
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fishingmn » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:59 am

Well the veto and the response are both bull-oney (insert your own word for "oney")

You didn't say anything about the league you are in and any others you participate in. Do you know anyone in it? Is it a Yahoo public league? Do you have other leagues you are playing in that would take up the slack if you blow this one off? How happy are you with your team and how confident are you that you can compete if they shoot down all of your trades? Will you have fun in the league if you can't trade - in other words are the owners likely to remain active - do they chat a lot to keep it interesting?

Those are the kinds of questions you should ask yourself to see if it's worth continuing to play.
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers