Puig Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puig Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Puig Watch

Postby jorgesca » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:07 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I don't know if this has been asked/said. what type of hitter will be in the near future over a full season? does he project for say 20 HR? 30 HR?
I look at fangraphs.com and see right now on the season he has 25.2 FB%. that seems awfully low for hitting HR.
what type of player comparison is there to Puig?

I just did a google search "Yasiel Puig" comparison. the 2nd link worries me. comparable to, Jeff Francoeur? ouch. they mention because of his poor plate discipline.
http://nesn.com/2013/07/yasiel-puigs-po ... puigmania/

I read one comparing him to Vlad Guerrero in fangraphs and I think another one to Adam Jones.
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheTrith » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:30 pm

Jones and Vladi are best case scenario type comparisons.
There are way way more good power, big time hacker, no walk players that didnt have anywhere near the type of career those 2 guys have had. (cue up Francouer)

Although not many have been as athletically gifted as Puig, so he does have that going for him.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 286)

Postby Metropolitans » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:34 am

bigh0rt wrote:As a guy with 170 career PA, it wouldn't shock me to see him go a month without an XBH, or see him put the next 3 pitches he sees into the bleachers. There is no base line for expectation for Puig. It's 170 PA. I think his torrid start has unfortunately led some to unbearably high, unrealistic, and ultimately what will be very disappointing expectations. As others have said; if he continues to walk 4.1% of the time and strike out 24.1% of the time, that doesn't instill a ton of confidence in long-term success. As even others have said beyond that, through 170 PA, it's almost entirely right now about how the league pitching is adjusting to what they have seen of him, and how he will adjust to those adjustments. Every team has a 'book' on him now, and he will be pitched differently, and his success will depend on if he can successfully adjust his approach to be successful to how he is being pitched to now versus how he was pitched to when he first came up.

^THIS^ ....obviously the bolded text
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:51 am

Sandoval is the same kinda guy. Swings full-out at everything but manages to make a lot of contact. Puig doesn't really have the contact thing down yet, but considering his approach I think a 23% k-rate ain't so bad for a 22 year old that has barely graduated from A-ball. Of course, he still has to adjust to pitchers exploiting his weaknesses, but it's a good indication that he can swing that hard and still make a decent amount of contact.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Metropolitans » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:54 pm

over the last 30 days, Puig is 9th in the MLB is BBs... I LOVE that he's adjusting... what will the haters say now??? :-D
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras