Puig Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puig Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Puig Watch

Postby jefferey13 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:25 pm

He's worrying me. When was the last time he put some good wood on a pitch? The best I've seen in like 2 weeks is a hard ground ball through the 5-6 hole.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ayebatter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:33 pm

jefferey13 wrote:He's worrying me. When was the last time he put some good wood on a pitch? The best I've seen in like 2 weeks is a hard ground ball through the 5-6 hole.

Dude's just a youngster MLB pitchers are going to find holes now he needs to adjust.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1387)

Postby Metropolitans » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:36 pm

ayebatter wrote:
jefferey13 wrote:He's worrying me. When was the last time he put some good wood on a pitch? The best I've seen in like 2 weeks is a hard ground ball through the 5-6 hole.

Dude's just a youngster MLB pitchers are going to find holes now he needs to adjust.

yeah seriously, did you really expect him to hit .400 or close to it with such a despicable K/BB ratio?? an Avg adjustment was inevitable... lets just hope he adjusts to the pitching's adjustments properly.
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Y`s Guy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:27 pm

I already have him inactive for next week. :-/
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby jefferey13 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:26 am

Metropolitans wrote:
ayebatter wrote:

yeah seriously, did you really expect him to hit .400 or close to it with such a despicable K/BB ratio?? an Avg adjustment was inevitable... lets just hope he adjusts to the pitching's adjustments properly.

No, I just expect him to average out. He either has games where he has a BABIP of 1000% or he strikes out 4 times. I mean look at this past series. 0-9 with 5 k's. I don't think he got the ball out of the infield. I'm not asking for .400, I'm talking about completely different things. He hasn't has an extra base hit in 2 weeks. If he was making long outs or getting unlucky some of the time I would understand. I don't think he's got unlucky once this season. And FWIW I am a HUGE puig fan.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:04 am

jefferey13 wrote:
Metropolitans wrote:
ayebatter wrote:

No, I just expect him to average out. He either has games where he has a BABIP of 1000% or he strikes out 4 times. I mean look at this past series. 0-9 with 5 k's. I don't think he got the ball out of the infield. I'm not asking for .400, I'm talking about completely different things. He hasn't has an extra base hit in 2 weeks. If he was making long outs or getting unlucky some of the time I would understand. I don't think he's got unlucky once this season. And FWIW I am a HUGE puig fan.

As a guy with 170 career PA, it wouldn't shock me to see him go a month without an XBH, or see him put the next 3 pitches he sees into the bleachers. There is no base line for expectation for Puig. It's 170 PA. I think his torrid start has unfortunately led some to unbearably high, unrealistic, and ultimately what will be very disappointing expectations. As others have said; if he continues to walk 4.1% of the time and strike out 24.1% of the time, that doesn't instill a ton of confidence in long-term success. As even others have said beyond that, through 170 PA, it's almost entirely right now about how the league pitching is adjusting to what they have seen of him, and how he will adjust to those adjustments. Every team has a 'book' on him now, and he will be pitched differently, and his success will depend on if he can successfully adjust his approach to be successful to how he is being pitched to now versus how he was pitched to when he first came up.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby KELLYLEAK » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:18 pm

As some of you know I'm a huge Puig believer, but you can't expect him to keep a .400 avg all year- so he will cool off. I think his hip is still bugging him and is contributing to the slow down.

That being said, i think he's the real deal and once he gets better will start raking again.
KELLYLEAK Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:41 am

He is accumulating the points again! Apparently his first out last night was scorched and caught by a leaping first baseman.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Element » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:He is accumulating the points again! Apparently his first out last night was scorched and caught by a leaping first baseman.

He scorched everything that he made contact with last night. He's kind of good.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:00 pm

I don't know if this has been asked/said. what type of hitter will be in the near future over a full season? does he project for say 20 HR? 30 HR?
I look at fangraphs.com and see right now on the season he has 25.2 FB%. that seems awfully low for hitting HR.
what type of player comparison is there to Puig?

I just did a google search "Yasiel Puig" comparison. the 2nd link worries me. comparable to, Jeff Francoeur? ouch. they mention because of his poor plate discipline.
http://nesn.com/2013/07/yasiel-puigs-po ... puigmania/
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers