100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puig Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Puig Watch

Postby TheTrith » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:58 pm

mayor quimby wrote:
TheTrith wrote:
"For me, the All-Star Game should go back to being an exhibition so it can be something where we could have some of the best players and If something magical is going on like Yasiel Puig, you put him in it," Mattingly said. "But the problem is they say this game matters, and it changes who gets home-field advantage in the World Series -- and to me, I don't like that."

This is Mattingly thinking about it completely backwards, just like he does everything else.

Logic says that since the game is supposedly being played for the win above all else, then the best players RIGHT NOW should be included. If the guy can help the team win, he should be on the team.
But Mattingly says a player like Puig, who is in the middle of one of the best 30 day stretches MLB has seen so far this season, should only be included in an exhibition, where the result doesn't matter one bit.

How does that make any sense? If the result doesn't matter THEN you can bring in all the vets that have nothing more to offer than their reputation.

I don't think he should even qualify for the allstar game personally. If there is not some minimum qualifier stating a player must appear in at lest X% of his teams games in order to be considered for the roster, there should be.
Great month, but a guy who plays in 35 games is not an Allstar.

The BBWAA does not give a XXXX about all star selections. They know it's a popularity contest.

Im not sure what the BBWAA has to do with any of that. I thought only the fans, players, and coaches were the ones who made Allstar selections.
Does the BBWAA have some Allstar Game influence I am not aware of?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 288)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hondo4mvp » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:08 am

If Puig doesn't make the All Star team,I'm watching womens field hockey that day.

Or maybe some some Rodney Dangerfield movies for even more laughs.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Bwanna » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Comparisons to Vlad were mentioned earlier in this thread; here's a detailed comparison, and some good highlights of a young Vlad:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1692 ... r-guerrero
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby TheTrith » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:31 pm

2013 through Friday, July 5th:
Hanley Ramirez - 30 games, 7 HR, 20 RBI, 4 SB, .455 OBP, .498 wOBA, 1.9 WAR
Yasiel Puig -------- 30 games, 8 HR, 19 RBI, 4 SB, .449 OBP, .489 wOBA, 1.9 WAR

For all the guys clamoring for Puig to get into the all star game... why aren't you also lobbying for his teammate Hanley?
They've put up identical lines, but I havent heard a single person say that Ramirez deserves to go.
Last edited by TheTrith on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:59 pm

wingman3110 wrote:He's human. Injured tonight. Sounds like its just day to day

FYI....the outfield wall went on the 7-Day DL for a concussion and not Puig.

;-D

ETA: The Giants and Bumgarner's approach tonight seems to be aimed at targeting Puig at his known weak spot.

2KOs so far. It will be interesting to see if he makes an adjustment or takes home a golden sombrero.

Last edited by Krunk City King$ on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jefferey13 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:24 pm

TheTrith wrote:2013 through Friday, July 5th:

For all the guys clamoring for Puig to get into the all star game... why aren't you also lobbying for his teammate Hanley?
They've put up identical lines, but I havent heard a single person say that Ramirez deserves to go.

It's because Puig is doing that in his first month ever playing baseball. It is more exciting and that is what people want to watch. If the all-star game was just about stats there would be no need to vote.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:56 pm

jefferey13 wrote:
TheTrith wrote:2013 through Friday, July 5th:

It's because Puig is doing that in his first month ever playing baseball. It is more exciting and that is what people want to watch. If the all-star game was just about stats there would be no need to vote.

some people just don't get it.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/7/1/44 ... hit-record
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheTrith » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Yes people are understandly way more excited about Puig.
And that line of reasoning would hold water IF it was just an exhibition.
But the game "matters" now, so I'm not sure I buy that argument.
I just feel like players should get at least some recognition for both the 2nd half of the previous season, and for playing a majority of their team's games.

edit - thats in response to:
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jefferey13 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:49 pm

TheTrith wrote:Yes people are understandly way more excited about Puig.
And that line of reasoning would hold water IF it was just an exhibition.
But the game "matters" now, so I'm not sure I buy that argument.
I just feel like players should get at least some recognition for both the 2nd half of the previous season, and for playing a majority of their team's games.

edit - thats in response to:

Sure I agree with that. But it was asked why people are excited for Puig and not Hanley, not how the voting should be determined. There aren't detailed instructions on how fans should vote, people just pick their favorites and that will never change. The only thing you could change is if it is exhibition or not, but that won't change how people vote or get excited about who they vote for.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby apz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 pm

If it's an exhibition I want to see Puig play because he's one of the hottest player in MLB and he's entertaining to watch. If it's a meaningful game I want Puig to play because he's one of the hottest players in MLB.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers