Puig Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puig Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Puig Watch

Postby wrveres » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:26 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
kevinbaseballer wrote:Puig is like meeting your dream girl and hoping she is everything she seems to be but it's only been a few dates and you're afraid of getting ahead of yourself. she's already putting out. shes a freak in the sack.


fypfy.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 642)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby BChinly » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:36 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
BChinly wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:at least the rest of this season even when everyone is healthy Puig should get semi to regular playing time? and then next season the Dodgers almost have to some way find a way to make him an absolute everyday player, and he could potentially be a star?

I don't own Puig right now, but in a keeper league I could target him and overpay since I'm already 50 points out this season with my stupid team of underachievers and injured players.


I traded Ellsbury for Puig at the beginning of the year in my 20 team 25 player dynasty league where you keep 22 players. Everyone gave me crap for it and said it was a terrible trade saying that he won't be up until 2015... I think it was a solid trade and the guy who traded Puig for Ellsbury kind of regrets it now. Especially because I was kind of in your position. Besides Ellsbury my best players were young (AJax, Brett Lawrie, Mike Minor, Butler, Adam Eaton, Skaggs, Arenado, Rutledge, ect.) Choo is my only real outlier of team age besides Ellsbury at the time.


Image

FYI, in the future, attempt to paint a more accurate picture depicting a league where at least several members browse the cafe. Believe only one person (BOS) made a comment regarding the trade might be lopsided and am pretty sure the guy who traded you Puig is quite happy with Ellsbury. ;-7 ;-7 ;-7

Any takers, if Puig lights up the Yankees this series, we'll start seeing their delirious fans listing him as their next trade target? O:-)


I know a lot of teams in our league that browse the cafe.

You didn't see this post though

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=456381

;-7 ;-7 ;-7
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 457
(Past Year: 116)
Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby wrveres » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 pm

whens this dude due for a piss test?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 642)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:13 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:at least the rest of this season even when everyone is healthy Puig should get semi to regular playing time? and then next season the Dodgers almost have to some way find a way to make him an absolute everyday player, and he could potentially be a star?

I don't own Puig right now, but in a keeper league I could target him and overpay since I'm already 50 points out this season with my stupid team of underachievers and injured players.


potentially? in this day and age he is a star. have you not seen how the media outlets have hyped him? vin scully tweeting about him?

semi playing time? jersey sales are up. dodger's games viewership is up. interest in one of MLB's most historic franchises is back on the rise to where it should be for a roster like that and a market of that size. more interest = more ratings = more buzz = more $$$$$. a formula any owner would like. HE WILL stay in the lineup. he makes them sportscenter relevant.....without their injured high payroll players. they will find a way to let him play everyday. HE IS who the dodger fans and the baseball universe are tuning in to see right now on that team. the others maybe semi-day of rest players, but he will remain in lineup.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1680 ... zing-start

especially if he makes the all-star team. and if he is still hitting .450 in 30 days....BASEBALL WILL want him in there for the ratings as well...IMHO

"Since 1916 (when Retrosheet game-by-game data coverage begins), just two players have collected more total bases in their first 15 games than Puig, and only one has collected more hits"

http://mlb.si.com/2013/06/20/yasiel-pui ... uce-bochy/

***********************************


SAN DIEGO -- When the Dodgers called up Yasiel Puig and installed him in right field, the phenom unveiled one of the strongest arms of any outfielder in the major leagues.

However, with Matt Kemp expected to return to center field next week, the Dodgers tentatively plan to move Andre Ethier back to right field and move Puig to left.

Kemp is scheduled to start a rehab assignment with triple-A Albuquerque on Saturday. The Dodgers hope he can play three or four games there -- the first at designated hitter, the rest in center -- and then rejoin the major league team.

The Dodgers hope Carl Crawford can return a week or two after Kemp does. That would leave the Dodgers with four outfielders for three spots.

The Dodgers could keep Puig in right, Kemp in center, and Crawford in left, with Ethier rotating among all three positions. Ethier has played well in center in Kemp's absence, and he said he would be willing to play some left field if asked.

"Whatever is going to make this team the best," Ethier said.

However, Manager Don Mattingly said, the best time for a veteran to learn a new position is spring training, not the middle of the season. Puig played some left field in spring training, and Mattingly said he has spoken with Puig about playing there when Kemp returns.

"The young guy is more eqiupped to play in different spots," Mattingly said.

Mattingly said he has not made any final decisions and would consult with coach Davey Lopes before then. For now, given a healthy outfield, Mattingly said he envisions Crawford in left and Kemp in center, with Puig rotating between left and right and Ethier rotating between center -- when Kemp gets a day off against a tough right-hander -- and right.

Ethier did not start Friday because of a swollen left knee, the aftermath of a collision with Puig last Sunday in Pittsburgh. Mattingly said he hoped Ethier could start Saturday.

Ethier had played in 68 games through Thursday, tied for the team high with first baseman Adrian Gonzalez.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersno ... 9897.story
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1613
Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Puig Watch

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 pm

I feel like his arm would just be wasted in left. Also, there is no way he doesn't play every day. He is the Puig. MLB will change the rules to allow 4 outfielders if they have to.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3882
(Past Year: 172)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Puig Watch

Postby jefferey13 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:56 pm

Can't someone just learn to play third base? I know Uribe is having his best year on the dodgers right now, but that doesn't say much.
Image
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 778
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby silentjim » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:13 am

BChinly wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
BChinly wrote:
I traded Ellsbury for Puig at the beginning of the year in my 20 team 25 player dynasty league where you keep 22 players. Everyone gave me crap for it and said it was a terrible trade saying that he won't be up until 2015... I think it was a solid trade and the guy who traded Puig for Ellsbury kind of regrets it now. Especially because I was kind of in your position. Besides Ellsbury my best players were young (AJax, Brett Lawrie, Mike Minor, Butler, Adam Eaton, Skaggs, Arenado, Rutledge, ect.) Choo is my only real outlier of team age besides Ellsbury at the time.


Image

FYI, in the future, attempt to paint a more accurate picture depicting a league where at least several members browse the cafe. Believe only one person (BOS) made a comment regarding the trade might be lopsided and am pretty sure the guy who traded you Puig is quite happy with Ellsbury. ;-7 ;-7 ;-7

Any takers, if Puig lights up the Yankees this series, we'll start seeing their delirious fans listing him as their next trade target? O:-)


I know a lot of teams in our league that browse the cafe.

You didn't see this post though

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=456381

;-7 ;-7 ;-7


I think Red's point is I never said I regretted it. :-D And technically speaking I still don't. My powerhouse team really needed a CF who stoles bases, scored runs, and hit for average. As others have mentioned Puig is playing insane, but I'd have to see it from him for close to a year if not more to say, yeah this guy is legit (see Kemp, see Hamilton, see Hanley Ramirez, see Pujols).

I also have concerns about the playing time moving forward. People forget the Dodgers just this off season signed Ethier to a contract extension. Ethier, Kemp, and Crawford are making right around 55M for the next 5 seasons and it seems like teams have been reluctant of late to take on albatross contracts like that since young farm built teams have proven to be just as effective over the last few seasons as huge payroll teams.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
Posts: 1290
(Past Year: 76)
Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Puig Watch

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:41 pm

I feel that I have to point something out here; the fact that their current outfield makes 55M a year means absolutely nothing about playing time. That is a sunk cost. They pay it whether they start or not. Mattingly's only job is to out the team on the field that will win the baseball games.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3882
(Past Year: 172)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Puig Watch

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:27 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:I feel that I have to point something out here; the fact that their current outfield makes 55M a year means absolutely nothing about playing time. That is a sunk cost. They pay it whether they start or not. Mattingly's only job is to out the team on the field that will win the baseball games.

This would be more believable if Mattingly wasn't forced into letting Brandon League be the closer for the first two months of the season. I completely agree Puig should be playing full-time, and I imagine Ethier will either be benched or traded (good luck) or they could get creative and try to get Puig to learn 3B. Between Crawford and Kemp, they might be able to stash one of the OFs on the DL for quite a while though.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3082
(Past Year: 110)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 22:52 hours
(and 96 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact