Puig Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puig Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Puig Watch

Postby Element » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:18 am

There might be something to this 'throw him inside' stuff. It's strange, but he stands in the front of the batter's box. He's looking to go away virtually every time and hoping to react on anything inside.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Puig Watch

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:32 am

Element wrote:There might be something to this 'throw him inside' stuff. It's strange, but he stands in the front of the batter's box. He's looking to go away virtually every time and hoping to react on anything inside.

That was tony gwynn's philosophy on hitting. Seemed to work for him.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 405)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:38 am

Puig has potential to continue to be really good. I doubt he remains this good, in fact I would highly highly doubt he remains this good this season. I think it's more likely he comes crashing back down to normal.
he has some numbers that in no way are sustainable.
.450 BABIP.
30.4 FB% with 57.1 HR/FB.
despite his numbers he only has 3.4 BB%.

what happens once Kemp and Crawford are both healthy?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 514)

Postby BChinly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:40 am

SpecialFNK wrote:Puig has potential to continue to be really good. I doubt he remains this good, in fact I would highly highly doubt he remains this good this season. I think it's more likely he comes crashing back down to normal.
.450 BABIP.

It should be noted that even if you include his Spring Training stats, he has yet to draw a walk that was not intentional...
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 218)

Postby kab21 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:25 am

SpecialFNK wrote:Puig has potential to continue to be really good. I doubt he remains this good, in fact I would highly highly doubt he remains this good this season. I think it's more likely he comes crashing back down to normal.
.450 BABIP.

I think everyone is shocked that he won't maintain a 1.447 OPS and hit a HR every other game. Shocked.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby garf112 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:21 pm

kab21 wrote:
.450 BABIP.

I think everyone is shocked that he won't maintain a 1.447 OPS and hit a HR every other game. Shocked.

Exactly. "I doubt he remains this good." Way to hedge your bets with doubt, too...

Of course he isn't going to remain this good. But he could be the type of guy that wins you a fantasy league with first or second round type production the rest of the way. Unless I got one of those ridiculous Votto for Puig deals that folks are talking about, I am not selling high, yet.
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 99)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:52 pm

I doubt Puig is going to have 1st or 2nd round value the rest of the season. I doubt he even has 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round value.
it wouldn't surprise me when he cools back off to normal and Crawford and Kemp return, that Puig could find himself back in the minors.
I guess it all comes down to Ethier. he isn't having very good numbers right now, but I think he could just as easily get back to his normal level, that he has shown through his career to do.
now IF Puig is still hitting like this, then he will play. but I think he is going to cool off quite a bit from this stretch.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:07 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I doubt Puig is going to have 1st or 2nd round value the rest of the season. I doubt he even has 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round value.
it wouldn't surprise me when he cools back off to normal and Crawford and Kemp return, that Puig could find himself back in the minors.
I guess it all comes down to Ethier. he isn't having very good numbers right now, but I think he could just as easily get back to his normal level, that he has shown through his career to do.
now IF Puig is still hitting like this, then he will play. but I think he is going to cool off quite a bit from this stretch.

This is an incredibly bearish take. I think we'd be getting ahead of ourselves if we expect 1st/2nd round production over the remainder of the season, but somewhere between 3rd and 6th sounds about right, which is still fantastic for a free agent pickup. Minors? That's pretty much already out of the picture. Just my opinion, but I'm nowhere close to alone.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 234)

Postby garf112 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:15 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I doubt Puig is going to have 1st or 2nd round value the rest of the season. I doubt he even has 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round value.

He was on pace for 30-50 in AA. Now, he isn't going to do that. I'm going to go with .280, 15 HRs, 10 SBs in 80 games for the rest of the season. He might end up with fewer home runs and more stolen bases, though. That is pretty good value. Maybe not first or second round value, but for where you got him (either late rounds or waivers), I think you'll do OK.

BTW, you keep saying "hitting like this." You realize he is on pace for 90 HRs and 200 RBIs? Of course he isn't going to keep hitting like this...
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 99)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:24 pm

if Puig is staying with the Dodgers, would they do that to have him play every day, or would they keep him around for 2 to 3 games a week?
if Puig is going to be starting every day, then which one of Kemp/Crawford/Ethier is he replacing? clearly right now Ethier isn't hitting, but I look at what he has done before this season and I think he can get back to that level.
do the Dodgers just bench Ethier and play Puig? can they trade Ethier? this is his contract details from rotoworld.
2012: $10.95 million, 2013: $13.5 million, 2014: $15.5 million, 2015: $18 million, 2016: $18 million, 2017: $17.5 million, 2018: $17.5 million vesting option ($2.5 million buyout), 2019: Free agent

Puig has a bright future. but if he isn't going to be playing every day, wouldn't they be better to give him regular playing time back in the minors?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers