5/21 Cheering, Venting, & Julio Teheran? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/21 Cheering, Venting, & Julio Teheran?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5/21 Cheering, Venting, & Julio Teheran?

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 21, 2013 10:30 am

.: News :.
Julio Teheran had a lot of hype heading into the 2013 season after a monster Spring Training where he struck out 35 batters, walking only 9, in just 26.0 innings, to the tune of a 1.04 ERA and 0.62 WHIP. Then April happened. It was bad. Real bad. 5.08 ERA bad. 1.66 WHIP bad. To the Waiver Wire with thee bad. But then May happened. And May's been a lot better than April. May has been 2.53 ERA good. May has been 0.94 WHIP good. May has been 3-for-3 Quality Starts good. It's been 1 BB in 21.1 IP good. The strikeouts disappeared from Spring Training, but he's stopped giving up so many damn HR (5 in April's 28.1 IP to just 2 in May's 21.1). So, what's Teheran's deal? Well for starters, 2 of his 3 May starts have come @ San Francisco, and vs Minnesota, so you're immediately talking about teams that don't hit especially well, and parks that favor pitchers to some degree. Julio was good @ Arizona, though, too, which is very encouraging. Really going back to April 23, where he threw 7 strong innings at Coors Field, Teheran's been a viable fantasy starter. And I think he will be going forward. Maybe not the huge breakout candidate people projected this Spring, the way Matt Harvey has done, but worth rostering in most leagues. For starters, he's not walking anybody. His BB/9 is creeping towards the 1.5 mark, which I like to see in my fantasy SP. He also gets the Mets his next turn, which in all likelihood will be beneficial to his ratios. Chances are he'll see them again... and the Marlins... and the Phillies. Plenty. How many good hitters do those three teams have combined? 4? 5? Did I overshoot? Anyway, maybe I'm trying to talk myself back into Julio Teheran, but I'm rolling with him for now, trotting his keister out there at Citi Field this weekend, and hoping that he can continue pitching the way he has since late April.

Also, Matt Garza will make his first start of the season today, in Pittsburgh. Worth paying attention to for those who have stashed him all season and are looking to hopefully reap some benefit.

Alex Cobb also starting. Guy is probably my favorite non-established-Ace pitcher to watch right now other than Matt Harvey. I am trying everything in my power (aside from trading the aforementioned Harvey) to trade for him in my keeper league.

Ramon Ortiz toes the rubber for Toronto again today. LOL.

Jose Fernandez looks to continue his dominance against the Phillies today. So far this season he's posted 13 shutout innings vs the Phils.

.: Today's Games :.

NYY: Hughes (2-3, 5.88 ERA)
BAL: Gonzalez (2-2, 4.58 ERA)

CHC: Garza (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
PIT: Rodriguez (4-2, 3.25 ERA)

DET: Scherzer (5-0, 3.98 ERA)
CLE: Kluber (3-2, 5.40 ERA)

MIN: Pelfrey (3-4, 6.57 ERA)
ATL: Hudson (4-3, 5.12 ERA)

TB: Cobb (4-2, 2.89 ERA)
TOR: Ortiz (1-1, 2.35 ERA)

CIN: Leake (3-2, 3.72 ERA)
NYM: Niese (3-4, 5.40 ERA)

OAK: Straily (1-2, 7.27 ERA)
TEX: Darvish (7-1, 2.97 ERA)

PHI: Cloyd (0-0, 2.84 ERA)
MIA: Fernandez (2-2, 3.48 ERA)

BOS: Doubront (3-1, 6.03 ERA)
CHW: Quintana (2-1, 3.97 ERA)

LAD: Greinke (2-0, 1.62 ERA)
MIL: Burgos (1-2, 6.58 ERA)

KC: Davis (3-3, 5.98 ERA)
HOU: Norris (4-4, 4.32 ERA)

ARI: Kennedy (2-3, 4.88 ERA)
COL: Chacin (3-3, 4.07 ERA)

SEA: Harang (1-4, 7.30 ERA)
LAA: Williams (2-1, 3.05 ERA)

STL: Wainwright (5-3, 2.51 ERA)
SD: Volquez (3-4, 5.55 ERA)

WSH: Strasburg (2-5, 2.83 ERA)
SF: Cain (3-2, 5.43 ERA)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5/21 Cheering, Venting, & Julio Teheran?

Postby J35J » Tue May 21, 2013 11:08 am

Even with Teheran pitching better he's still not striking anyone out....essentially still making him WW fodder.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 21, 2013 11:35 am

J35J wrote:Even with Teheran pitching better he's still not striking anyone out....essentially still making him WW fodder.

In Roto I agree, I would have a real rough time trotting out a guy with a 5 K/9. In H2H, though, I'd be a lot more willing to do so, if he can put up solid ratios. Now, of course if he's allowing that many balls in play, it could spell disaster. He struck out a lot of guys in the minors as well as this Spring, so I find it strange that his K/9 is that low. I know for sure I'm rolling him out there vs the Mets this weekend. After that I think he draws the Nationals, where I may sit him; but after that it's either PIT or LAD, where I could see trotting him. This is all, of course, if he continues to not suck.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 am

In a move of desperation I started Jerome Williams in my weekly roto league just for the 2 starts because I just need to catch up ground in W/K so kind of forced to gamble on the ERA/WHIP on cruddy 2 start guys.

I fully expect a day of PAIN.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 21, 2013 11:49 am

Ender wrote:In a move of desperation I started Jerome Williams in my weekly roto league just for the 2 starts because I just need to catch up ground in W/K so kind of forced to gamble on the ERA/WHIP on cruddy 2 start guys.

I fully expect a day of PAIN.

I picked him up to start as well. :-o
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:05 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
J35J wrote:Even with Teheran pitching better he's still not striking anyone out....essentially still making him WW fodder.

In Roto I agree, I would have a real rough time trotting out a guy with a 5 K/9. In H2H, though, I'd be a lot more willing to do so, if he can put up solid ratios. Now, of course if he's allowing that many balls in play, it could spell disaster. He struck out a lot of guys in the minors as well as this Spring, so I find it strange that his K/9 is that low. I know for sure I'm rolling him out there vs the Mets this weekend. After that I think he draws the Nationals, where I may sit him; but after that it's either PIT or LAD, where I could see trotting him. This is all, of course, if he continues to not suck.

He struck out a lot of guys in A ball but he has struck out 7.6 K/9 and 6.6 K/9 in AAA the last two seasons. He seems like an interesting option in H2H leagues where there is a fair amount of streaming but that's about it.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby ramble2 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm with you bigh0rt; I'm irrationally exuberant about Teheran. I'm happy to keep running him out there to see what happens.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue May 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Julio Teheran is so 2011.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby bayside » Tue May 21, 2013 7:36 pm

edit - wrong thread
Last edited by bayside on Tue May 21, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Tue May 21, 2013 7:41 pm

I don't want to be a jerk, but why are you posting that question in the cheering/venting thread? Just curious, I would say throw in into the Buy Low/Sell High and you'll get plenty of looks.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers