5/20 Cheering, Venting, & Rotowire Blurbs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/20 Cheering, Venting, & Rotowire Blurbs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who would you rather own for the next 2 weeks?

Poll ended at Tue May 21, 2013 9:27 am

Jake Odorizzi - SP - TB
32%
Jurickson Profar - 2B - TEX
68%

Total votes : 22

5/20 Cheering, Venting, & Rotowire Blurbs

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 am

.: Rotowire :.

Cabrera went 4-for-4 with four runs scored, five RBI, and three home runs in Sunday's loss to Texas.

Cabrera showcased his talents on a national stage Sunday, and now boasts a .387 avg on the campaign, along with an MLB-best 47 RBI. It's hard to ask for much more from the reigning Triple Crown winner, so for now we can just watch one of the best pure hitters in the history of the game do what he does best on a nightly basis. The numbers are gaudy but are now expected with Cabrera. There are no signs that he's cooling off anytime soon, something both fantasy owners and the Tigers are fine with.
Profar will start at second base Monday against Oakland, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

Profar is getting his first MLB action of the season following a rib injury that forced Ian Kinsler onto the DL on Sunday. Profar will share second base duties with Leury Garcia and could also see a spot start at shortstop in place of Elvis Andrus.
Murphy is expected to hit in the second spot in the order for the duration of Ian Kinsler's absence, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

Murphy got off to a slow start at the plate to begin the season but has started to show signs of life over the weekend. He'll get a nice short-term boost in value hitting second.
Moore allowed just one run over seven innings Sunday against the Orioles to improve to 8-0 on the season.

Moore has been great all year, and Sunday might have been his best performance, given the opponent and that he allowed just one walk in the game.
Cashner earned the win Sunday against the Nationals, pitching 6.2 inning, giving up three earned runs on seven hits. He struck out six and walked one.

With his ERA sitting at 3.02, Cashner continues to impress, and be a decent source of strikeouts. He's also turned in three quality starts in a row, something he'll look to continue in his next scheduled start against the Diamondbacks on Saturday, in Arizona.
Odorizzi will take over David Price's (triceps) place in the rotation, as long as the ace is sidelined, the Tampa Tribune reports.

Price is only slated to miss two or three starts, which should allow Odorizzi ample opportunity to show his worth. In his eight nods at Triple-A Durham this season, Odorizzi is 4-0 with a 3.83 ERA, 1.109 WHIP, and 47:15 K:BB ratio across 44.2 innings.
Nolasco bounced back in a huge way, striking out 11 batters in eight innings to earn his third win of the season.

The Marlins' righty tossed 74 of 110 total pitches for strikes as he dispatched the Diamondbacks and ended his team's seven-game losing streak. Nolasco scattered five hits and one walk and was given the chance to complete the shutout before allowing a double to begin the ninth that would later account for Arizona's only run. Nolasco will carry a 3.96 ERA into his next start against the White Sox.
Masterson quieted Seattle on Sunday, striking out 11 in seven scoreless innings, during Cleveland's easy victory.

Masterson allowed just six baserunners on three singles, two walks, and one hit-by-pitch, while punching out multiple Mariners in three separate innings Sunday. He is really breaking out this season, with seven wins, all of them quality starts, to his name. His upcoming nod arrives Friday in his former home at Boston, where he has a 3.90 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and 7.25 K/9IP in 99.1 career innings.
Zimmerman went 2-for-4 with a solo home run and two runs scored in Friday's win over the Padres.

A 14-for-32 hot streak over the last nine games has his batting average up to .283, and while the home run is just his second of the season Zimmerman does have 19 RBI. His owners may not be quite satisfied with his production so far, but once more balls start leaving the yard his numbers should be right in line with his preseason projections.

.: Today's Games :.
SEA: Iwakuma (5-1, 1.84 ERA)
CLE: Kazmir (2-2, 5.33 ERA)

MIN: Correia (4-3, 3.35 ERA)
ATL: Teheran (2-1, 4.57 ERA)

TB: Odorizzi (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
TOR: Dickey (3-5, 4.83 ERA)

CIN: Cueto (1-0, 2.60 ERA)
NYM: Marcum (0-4, 6.75 ERA)

NYY: Sabathia (4-3, 3.19 ERA)
BAL: Garcia (0-2, 5.51 ERA)

PHI: Hamels (1-6, 4.61 ERA)
MIA: Sanabia (2-6, 5.00 ERA)

OAK: Colon (3-2, 4.56 ERA)
TEX: Lindblom (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

LAD: Kershaw (4-2, 1.40 ERA)
MIL: Gallardo (3-3, 4.50 ERA)

BOS: Lester (6-0, 2.72 ERA)
CHW: Axelrod (1-3, 4.27 ERA)

ARI: Corbin (6-0, 1.52 ERA)
COL: Garland (3-4, 4.89 ERA)

KC: Guthrie (5-1, 2.82 ERA)
HOU: Keuchel (0-1, 4.82 ERA)

STL: Miller (5-2, 1.40 ERA)
SD: Marquis (5-2, 3.49 ERA)

WSH: Duke (0-0, 8.40 ERA)
SF: Vogelsong (1-4, 8.06 ERA)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5/20 Cheering, Venting, & Rotowire Blurbs

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 20, 2013 9:37 am

In a H2H Points League where I get 10 starts for the week, I'm facing the 7 - 0 buzz saw team of the league this week, looking to give them their first blemish, and here's what I've got on the docket for this week, and my current plans...

Julio Teheran vsMIN, @NYM (Start/Start)
Cliff Lee @MIA (Start)
Matt Harvey vsCIN (Start)
Anibal Sanchez vsMIN (Start)
Francisco Liriano vsCHC (Start)
Marco Estrada vsPIT (Start)
Andrew Cashner @ARI (Start)
Jose Fernandez vsPHI (Start)
Matt Moore vsNYY (Start)

So, I happen to have 10 starts exactly lined up... Liriano is obviously the most questionable, but it's the Cubs. Cashner worries me given the venue, but he's really pitched excellent since moving to the rotation. Thinking about grabbing Bronson Arroyo vsCHC instead of one of them or Ricky Nolasco @CHW, or Hector Santiago vsMIA.

Those 3 all carry similar risk to Liriano, though, and without the real K potential. Ideally, though, I'm looking for QS/W combos, with Ks being next... Thoughts??
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Mon May 20, 2013 9:39 am

I don't believe Odorizzi will be a very good fantasy option...a decent spot starter maybe, but that's about it.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 am

J35J wrote:I don't believe Odorizzi will be a very good fantasy option...a decent spot starter maybe, but that's about it.

Ever?

I think that this 2 weeks he's the unfortunate loser of luck of the draw, slated to face @TOR, NYY, and then probably @CLE, missing the Marlins by 1 start. I don't think I'd have the stones to trot him out in any of those, but I do think he's a good pitcher and will be interested in him next season possibly. Not a dominant guy, but a good back end of the fantasy rotation guy who has solid Ks, and a high-3 ERA. Last year was the only time he had problems with Walks, and it's come back down this season, albeit not to where it once was. I guess he sort of reminds me, from a fantasy standpoint, or Marco Estrada? A lot of people don't care for him, but he's a guy I like having on my team, especially for his price.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon May 20, 2013 10:40 am

Tyler Lyons to start Wed. for the Cards.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... ce889.html
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 378)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 20, 2013 10:47 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Tyler Lyons to start Wed. for the Cards.

Decent spot start @SD?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Mon May 20, 2013 11:04 am

bigh0rt wrote:
J35J wrote:I don't believe Odorizzi will be a very good fantasy option...a decent spot starter maybe, but that's about it.
Ever?

It depends on how good of a "pitcher" he becomes. If you looked at his stuff in a vaccumm it's not much different than just about every other 3,4 or 5 starter, he doesn't really have a plus pitch and he doesn't have plus command....it's just going to come down to him figuring out how to "pitch" at a plus level. Elevate when he needs too, take 5mph off his fastball/curve/slider when he needs too, hits his spots consistantly, don't miss down the middle thigh high, pitch effectively out of the strech with men on, etc, etc, etc
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon May 20, 2013 11:57 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Tyler Lyons to start Wed. for the Cards.

Decent spot start @SD?

You know as much about him as I do if that tells you anything. Sounds like he will make this start and go back down if Westbrook is good to go.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 378)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon May 20, 2013 12:55 pm

My pitching had been running away with ERA and WHIP to start the season, but in the last ~5 days they are getting absolutely pounded.

Bumgarner, Felix, Anibal, and now Iwakuma in consecutive days, not to mention Jim Johnson's 5 run implosion on Saturday. :-t

Oh and Cingrani getting sent down. Bad, bad week for my roto team.

On another note, it looks like Andrew Bailey will be activated in time for today's game and should resume closer duties immediately.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks Kazmir.

To the WW you go now.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager