Sure, I'll be the first to write it... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sure, I'll be the first to write it...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sure, I'll be the first to write it...

Postby Ender » Sun May 19, 2013 12:57 am

That is probably fair, but it does bother me that Votto who is a better hitter than Cabrera, gets dissed at this point and is out of the top 12 when people still for some reason think Cabrera is in the top 5 which he has never been in his entire career even last year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rjforlife » Sun May 19, 2013 1:19 am

Ender wrote:That is probably fair, but it does bother me that Votto who is a better hitter than Cabrera, gets dissed at this point and is out of the top 12 when people still for some reason think Cabrera is in the top 5 which he has never been in his entire career even last year.

Top 5 for what? In 2012 he was 2nd in MLB in runs, 1st in MLB in HR, 1st in MLB in AVG, 4th in the MLB in average. Not that it's a great system but he was number three in Yahoo. He was also number three in the ESPN game.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby jfg » Sun May 19, 2013 2:28 am

Yeah, I don't get that statement at all Ender. If anything, Votto is a poor man's Miggy without the 3rd base eligibility. In what kind of system does Cabrera fall out of the top 5? I still agree with you that Braun is #1, but to rank Cabrera anything less than 2... I'm not with you there.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby bayside » Sun May 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Ender wrote:That is probably fair, but it does bother me that Votto who is a better hitter than Cabrera, gets dissed at this point and is out of the top 12 when people still for some reason think Cabrera is in the top 5 which he has never been in his entire career even last year.

You have to explain this becasue becasue both points seem way off.

1. Votto is not a better hitter than Cabrera. Votto might have better plate discipline, but almost to a fault (especially for fantasy purposes). thats a big part of the reason why Cabrera is so much more productive.

2. How is Cabrera not in the top 5? Thats ridiculous. The only thing he doesnt do is steal (and Votto hardly does either), but I'd say playing 3B more than makes up for that. Not to mention the fact that hes pretty much the best in every other category.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sun May 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Ender wrote:people still for some reason think Cabrera is in the top 5 which he has never been in his entire career even last year.
you're on your own with that one ... lol
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby kab21 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:50 pm

The only reason that Cabrera doesn't do well in the overall rankings is that he is elite in 4 categories and terrible in one. The one that he is terrible in is the most overrated category and the easiest to take care of in the mid rds. It's kind of the same reason that you don't draft Bourn in the top 50 even though he is awesome in these player raters.

Your Votto comparison must put a lot of weight in SB's because Votto's upside in R/HR/RBI's is what Cabrera does every year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Ender » Sun May 19, 2013 10:16 pm

kab21 wrote:
The only reason that Cabrera doesn't do well in the overall rankings is that he is elite in 4 categories and terrible in one. The one that he is terrible in is the most overrated category and the easiest to take care of in the mid rds. It's kind of the same reason that you don't draft Bourn in the top 50 even though he is awesome in these player raters.

Your Votto comparison must put a lot of weight in SB's because Votto's upside in R/HR/RBI's is what Cabrera does every year.

Yeah I kind of mixed statements. Votto is a better real baseball hitter than Cabrera is by a slight margin, roughly 10 wOBA or so. Cabrera usually is closer to #10 in my end of season rankings than #1, last year he finished #6. The lack of SB is a real killer in fantasy baseball and a couple pitchers end up in top 5 in total value as well. There still is no reason to be giving up on Votto when he is having an absolutely elite season just because the HR haven't come yet. It will heat up in Cinci and the balls will start to fly.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sun May 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Yeah, that's the thing with Votto is he really is a better real life player than a fantasy player. I don't know..I owned him last season and while he was amazing for AVG, he didn't put up elite HR or RBI during that time. I figured it was a fluke since he had great HR/RBI numbers the previous 3 seasons, but so far he is doing the same thing this season.

20 homers/76 rbi in his last 154 games played.

Obviously these numbers can drastically change with just a couple weeks of a power surge, but it's strange that he isn't getting more RBIs in a stacked hitting team..it's almost like he is too patient of a hitter fantasy wise.

Real life, he's probably the best hitter in the game.

As for M-Cab's lack of SBs, it depends if you are playing H2H or Roto. A guy that will steal you 10-15 bags adds a lot of value in Roto, but is almost useless in H2H.
Last edited by BJSFAN123 on Sun May 19, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Sure, I'll be the first to write it...

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun May 19, 2013 10:37 pm

Ender wrote:
kab21 wrote:

Yeah I kind of mixed statements. Votto is a better real baseball hitter than Cabrera is by a slight margin, roughly 10 wOBA or so. Cabrera usually is closer to #10 in my end of season rankings than #1, last year he finished #6. The lack of SB is a real killer in fantasy baseball and a couple pitchers end up in top 5 in total value as well. There still is no reason to be giving up on Votto when he is having an absolutely elite season just because the HR haven't come yet. It will heat up in Cinci and the balls will start to fly.

You need to fix your system.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby bayside » Sun May 19, 2013 11:47 pm

Ender wrote:Votto is a better real baseball hitter than Cabrera is by a slight margin, roughly 10 wOBA or so. .

No, he isnt. Thats just flat out wrong.
wOBA since 2011 to date:
MCab .429
Votto .420
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... &sort=17,d

wRC+ since 2011 to date:
MCab 173
Votto 166

and it especially doesnt hold true this year.
wOBA 2013
MCab .443 (and that going to take a huge jump with his 4-4, 3HR night tonight)
Votto .430

Might want to check your facts before being so adamant about a topic that nobody agrees with you on.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers