Sure, I'll be the first to write it... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sure, I'll be the first to write it...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri May 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Congratulations to all who drafted, or kept, Paul "Solid Gold"schmidt !!

4 for 5 tonight (3 hits last night) with 2 jacks, 4 driven in and 4 runs scored.

BA up to a mere .338
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Re: Sure, I'll be the first to write it...

Postby Ender » Sat May 18, 2013 1:02 am

Y`s Guy wrote:Congratulations to all who drafted, or kept, Paul "Solid Gold"schmidt !!

4 for 5 tonight (3 hits last night) with 2 jacks, 4 driven in and 4 runs scored.

BA up to a mere .338

I kept him in the one league I owned him but I wasn't sold on him compared to where he was being drafted which was top 3 rounds in most solid leagues. I was more than a little worried about his ability to hit RHP still but he seems to be clobbering them now so he seems legit.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby cordscords » Sat May 18, 2013 1:30 am

He's closer to the guy who hit .286 last year, meaning he's still a beast with power and speed. If I had to draft today I'd put a 2nd round grade on him.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby HighHeater » Sat May 18, 2013 11:54 am

cordscords wrote:He's closer to the guy who hit .286 last year, meaning he's still a beast with power and speed. If I had to draft today I'd put a 2nd round grade on him.

He's made real progress with plate discipline since the second half of last year, I think he's close to a .286-.290 guy but with that kind of power and the steals to boot... there's not much else you could want in a 1b. He's my #1 guy going forward in all leagues... and yes I'd take him over votto.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat May 18, 2013 3:24 pm

HighHeater wrote:
cordscords wrote:He's closer to the guy who hit .286 last year, meaning he's still a beast with power and speed. If I had to draft today I'd put a 2nd round grade on him.

He's made real progress with plate discipline since the second half of last year, I think he's close to a .286-.290 guy but with that kind of power and the steals to boot... there's not much else you could want in a 1b. He's my #1 guy going forward in all leagues... and yes I'd take him over votto.

Prince?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby kab21 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:16 pm

I also wasn't completely sold on him this year but he has made nice strides at the plate (not chasing pitches) and is on a power binge currently. He won't maintain the .380 BAPIP or the .300+ isoP (26% HR/FB%) but he's going to be getting picked at the 1st/2nd turn easily next year.

I think the SB's will taper off to 5-8/yr during the next couple of seasons. He's a 1Bman, he's 245+ lbs and he's an important middle of the order bat. That's not the kind of guy that steals bases long term. I don't think you will care about the drop in SB's though.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby HighHeater » Sat May 18, 2013 8:03 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
HighHeater wrote:

Prince?

id take Votto over prince, so yes over him as well... Goldschmidt's breakout spans all the way back to the second half of last year... that's plenty sample size to convince me his adjustments to major league pitching is legit and the added steals he will get puts him over guys like Votto and Prince. He may not have a .300 average like Votto but he will be close and he has a lot more power and speed than Votto, he may not have the 40 hr potential of Prince however the added steals i think offsets that.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jfg » Sat May 18, 2013 8:45 pm

I'd put him right below Prince, right above Votto as of right now, but he's definitely trending to pass Fielder up in the next month or two.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Ender » Sat May 18, 2013 11:35 pm

jfg wrote:I'd put him right below Prince, right above Votto as of right now, but he's definitely trending to pass Fielder up in the next month or two.

No reason to put him ahead of Votto imo, I can't even begin to understand why anyone is down on Votto considering the elite season he has had. Yeah he only has 6 HR now but that isn't an awful pace and it will likely improve. The question is more put him ahead of Craig or not imo.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jfg » Sun May 19, 2013 12:40 am

I'm not down on Votto, just because he's below Fielder and Goldschmidt doesn't make him outside of the elite. In the upcoming top 50, I have Fielder #9, Goldschmidt #11, Votto #12.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers