Who should I get back for Santana? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who should I get back for Santana?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who should I get back for Santana?

Postby ramble2 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:06 pm

One of my league mates is interested in Santana. I'm first in the league by a good margin, but it's still early going and my team's hot start will cool off. I'd like to shore up my OF with some speed, or get a nice SP (especially one with a good K/9). I've been told he won't trade me saves.

I don't think I need to make a trade, despite the frustration of having to sit one of Encarnacion, Goldschmidt, Santana or Rosario. Also, though my SP have underperformed a little as a group, I still really like my staff and think it's only likely to improve as Stasburg and Scherzer start seeing their numbers catch up to their peripherals.

So with all that said, who should I be asking for from his team in exchange for Santana? 12 team 5x5 keeper. Keeper cost in parentheses, e.g., Santana will cost a 14th round draft pick to keep next year (a great deal).

My team:
C Santana (14)
1B Encarnacion (11)
2B Phillips
3B M. Cabrera (1)
SS Segura
OF CarGo (1)
OF Alex Gordon
OF Domonic Brown
UT Goldschmidt (15)
Bench: Rosario (15), Pierre
DL: Eaton
SP: Strasburg (13), Scherzer, Garcia, Minor, Teheran, J. Fernandez
RP: Perkins, Wilhelmsen, Henderson, D. Robertson, Tazawa, Burton

His team:
C: Sal Perez/Gattis
1B: Votto
2B: M. Carpenter
3B: Zimmerman
SS: Al. Escobar
OF: Carlos Gomez
OF: Harber
OF: Bautista
UT: Bruce
Bench: McLouth, Crisp, Arenado, Arcia
SP: Buchholz, Moore, Price, Corbin, Cingrani, Cueto, Tilman, Beachy

Would Gomez be too much to ask for in a straight up trade? I know I'd be buying high, but so would he. It'd be a good fit; my other batters will make up for Gomez's BA (assuming it regresses when his BABIP drops below .400), and his SB will be a great help.

Anyone see anything else that looks like a good trade? Or should I just hold tight, wait for Eaton to come back and cross my fingers?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who should I get back for Santana?

Postby pcm4 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:40 pm

I think Gomez is a great fit for your team and would be a nice upgrade over Brown. That being said I feel like I need to know a bit more to help you out. How many guys can you keep because if there is a scenario where you can keep guys at good prices without Santana then the cost of losing him at his bargain price isn't so bad. Would you be able to keep Gomez and at what cost?
pcm4
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby ramble2 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 pm

pcm4 wrote:I think Gomez is a great fit for your team and would be a nice upgrade over Brown. That being said I feel like I need to know a bit more to help you out. How many guys can you keep because if there is a scenario where you can keep guys at good prices without Santana then the cost of losing him at his bargain price isn't so bad. Would you be able to keep Gomez and at what cost?

We can keep five players. The cost of keeping players is a draft pick based on where they were kept/drafted the previous year (inflation of two rounds each season). We also get to keep two developmental players for free, defined as any player with two or less years of MLB experience.

I'm not too worried about losing Santana as one of my potential keepers, but it does make him more valuable for trade bait. Here's a possible keeper scenario for me going into next season: Cabrera, CarGo, Encarnacion, Strasburg, and Segura, with Goldschmidt & Rosario as my developmental keepers. That would cost me a 1st, 2nd, 11th, 13th and 20th round pick. Not sure if I'd keep Santana even if I don't trade him, though, honestly, there is some real value in getting good players back into the FA pool if you can't keep them.

Gomez would cost a 3rd round pick, so I wouldn't keep him. This would be a trade about winning this season, and not building for the long term.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pcm4 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:58 pm

I'd go for it then. Like you said I don't trust the BA, but the power and speed are real.
pcm4
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby ramble2 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:51 pm

No go. Owner won't make the trade for Gomez. He's come back with Corbin plus either McLouth (whom I don't trust at all) or Crisp. I'd rather settle my logjam by trading Santana (or, more likely, Encarnacion) for a single player of roughly equivalent value, as opposed to nickels for a dime. Thanks for the help though!
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions