POLL: Young Pitchers: Who Will Have the Best Career? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

POLL: Young Pitchers: Who Will Have the Best Career?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Young Pitchers: Who Will Have the Best Career?

Strasburg
38%
Harvey
17%
Miller
11%
Bumgarner
26%
Sale
4%
Fernadez
2%
Moore
2%

Total votes : 53

Postby GHirsch516 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:00 am

Which of these pitchers will have the best MLB career?
GHirsch516
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: POLL: Young Pitchers: Who Will Have the Best Career?

Postby J35J » Fri May 17, 2013 10:02 am

I could pick a few of those guys and wouldn't bat an eye. I picked Bumgarner because of pitching in the NL and in a good pitchers park and he's not a max effort guy and may stand the best chance of staying healthy and also has a couple years now of proven production at such a young age.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 17, 2013 11:13 am

You mean other than Matt Harvey right? Otherwise it should just be unanimous...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby jfg » Fri May 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Bumgarner for me as well. I don't think he'll ever be as dominant as Strasburg can be, but he'll be consistently good.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Element » Fri May 17, 2013 1:39 pm

I don't like Strasburg & Sale long term due to their mechanics/build, but I would gladly take any of the other guys here. I feel most comfortable with Bumgarner, Miller & Harvey and picked Harvey because he looks so unhittable. Bumgarner is probably a close 2nd because of his experience. I could see him being a really good (just not elite) starter for a long time and accumulating some really good numbers before he hangs 'em up.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby m16a » Fri May 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Element wrote:I don't like Strasburg & Sale long term due to their mechanics/build, but I would gladly take any of the other guys here. I feel most comfortable with Bumgarner, Miller & Harvey and picked Harvey because he looks so unhittable. Bumgarner is probably a close 2nd because of his experience. I could see him being a really good (just not elite) starter for a long time and accumulating some really good numbers before he hangs 'em up.

I think that'll end up being MadBum's greatest asset. He seems to be a very consistent pitcher, and it doesn't look like he's a highly strenuous pitcher either. He's never gonna be among the best of the best, but he's going to be good to very good for quite sometime. I think Harvey was the highest ceiling of the group. Strasburg just scares me. I don't think he'll stay healthy long enough to become a GREAT pitcher.
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri May 17, 2013 2:42 pm

I find it interesting that while strasburg has "struggled" this year, here he sits on may 17 with a 2.83 era and a 1.12 whip. Huh.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 403)

Postby bayside » Fri May 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Strasburg - has the best stuff of this group (maybe toss up with Harvey) but his long term durability is an issue for me. also doesnt not seem to have the mental fortitude of Bum, often showing visible frustration on the mound.

Sale - cannot see him having a long career.

Miller - has dominated in brief MLB career but really only a 2 pitch guy, and how many of those have sustained success? will need to develop a better 3rd pitch to have a shot.

Fernandez - Incredible to be doing whats hes doing at 20, but hes been in pro ball for such a short amount of time that nobody really knows how good he could be. enormous potential for sure.

Harvey - 4 good to great pitches, elite velocity, and showing remarkably improved control compared to his previous career. also classic power pitchers build that screams durability. my 2nd choice and would be my first if not for Bums much longer track record of excellence

Bumgarner - my choice because he has been very good for several years now, and like others have mentioned there are no red flags for injury. at least 3 of the other guys have a higher ceiling, but he is most likely to have a long and successful career, as hes shown he does not need elite velo to be very effective. also (homer alert) i have seen around 80% of his MLB starts so its easy for me to see just how talented he is, and how composed he is on the mound. nothing phases him
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 190)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri May 17, 2013 3:12 pm

Gotta be Bumgarner right now, no serious injury concerns, build and mechanics are not a concern. Others are small, have had injury problems, or have mechanics that can't necessarily be trusted for sustainability. Harvey looks fine, but the track record is still too short to project over Bumgarner right now.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 233)

Postby HighHeater » Fri May 17, 2013 5:04 pm

I chose Bumgarner for all the obvious statements previously... guys as good as Kershaw or close to it imo... however out of all those listed Matt Moore i believe has the best "stuff" out of them all and if he even limits his BB by about 1 then u have a legitimate ace with crazy stuff from the left side... he's showing improvement slightly this year and he's only going to get better. I think he is being left off the strasburg/harvey convo unfairly imo...
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers