5/17-5/19 Cheering, Venting, & Verlander Wrecked Your Week - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/17-5/19 Cheering, Venting, & Verlander Wrecked Your Week

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5/17-5/19 Cheering, Venting, & Verlander Wrecked Your Week

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 17, 2013 8:55 am

.: Shtuff & Shtuff :.
Rotowire -- Verlander lasted just 2.2 innings at Texas on Thursday, allowing eight runs and six hits with three strikeouts.

Verlander looked fine early, but surrendered seven runs in the third inning, including five with two outs. He also walked two batters with the bases loaded, so he obviously didn't have his best stuff. The powerful righty was throwing hard Thursday, unofficially topping out at 99 mph, but the results weren't there. After tossing back-to-back clunkers, Verlander will look to bounce back next week at Cleveland.

Forty years ago today, one of the most gruesome and unfortunate injuries of the 1970s occurred. It ruined a promising career just as it was beginning— though the kid had a long future in baseball ahead of him anyway.

It was May 17, 1973, when Angels player Bobby Valentine broke his leg.

Valentine had been a huge prospect. As an 18-year-old in the Pioneer League, he was named league MVP. The club thought enough of him to bring him up for a few games in 1969, when he was still a teen.

At age 20, Valentine starred for the Dodgers’ Spokane club in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League. Valentine hit .340 with 29 stolen bases, 39 doubles, 16 triples, and 14 homers.

Figuring he was done with the minors, he became a major leaguer for almost all of 1971-72. The results weren’t quite what the Dodgers hoped for, though. Valentine had versatility in the field, playing all over the infield and outfield, but at the plate he was lackluster. He had virtually no power, and had a mediocre batting average.

.: Around the Cafe :.
If you live in the Bay Area of California, wherever the hell that is, and you're a true Cafeholic, then why the hell haven't you said anything about an unbelievable opportunity to go to Yahoo! HQ and meet the Genie himself, and weigh in on the future of Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball?! READ THIS YOU DULLARD!! If this thing was within a 5 hour drive for me I'd be there in the bat of an eye. If you have a realistic opportunity and don't capitalize, never complain about Yahoo! again... ever.

The Week 7 Podcast investigates Roy Halladay's Hall of Fame potential candidacy, which is a hot button issue for our resident hot button guy, mweir. It's a great opportunity for you to rattle his cage, poke fun at Canada, and somehow tie it into the plight of the Blue Jays this season as well. Everybody wins.

Bottom of the 9th -- A lot has gone wrong with the Dodgers in 2013. After making the Yankees look like penny pinchers in the offseason, the Dodgers had high expectations heading into the regular season. But injuries and ineffectiveness have conspired to give the Dodgers a 15-22 record and last place in the NL West. Some of the necessary fixes will be hard: the team has to find a way to add some talent to a lineup that hasn’t scored very many runs, ranking near the bottom of the league in runs scored per game despite quality performances from Carl Crawford, A.J. Ellis, Mark Ellis and even Juan Uribe. Some will be easy: a healthy Zack Greinke should boost a decimated starting rotation, and Ted Lilly could also serve as a reinforcement soon. But what to do about Brandon League, a highly-paid closer who has made scoreless outings a rarity?

.: Who's Hot? :.
Here are the Top 10 Hitters over the last 15 days in my H2H Points League
1. Jason Kiphis
2. Adrian Beltre
3. Mike Trout
4. Mitch Moreland
5. Shin-Soo Choo
6. Paul Goldschmidt
7. Evan Longoria
8. Jean Segura
9. Eric Chavez
10. Miguel Cabrera

.: Today's Games :.
TB: Hellickson (1-2, 5.25 ERA)
BAL: Hammel (5-1, 4.93 ERA)

NYM: Harvey (4-0, 1.44 ERA)
CHC: Jackson (1-5, 6.02 ERA)

SEA: Maurer (2-5, 5.97 ERA)
CLE: Jimenez (3-2, 5.55 ERA)

CIN: Cingrani (2-0, 2.89 ERA)
PHI: Lee (4-2, 2.86 ERA)

TOR: Buehrle (1-2, 6.19 ERA)
NYY: Kuroda (5-2, 2.31 ERA)

HOU: Lyles (1-1, 8.36 ERA)
PIT: Gomez (2-0, 2.28 ERA)

DET: Porcello (1-2, 6.68 ERA)
TEX: Tepesch (3-3, 4.03 ERA)

ARI: Cahill (2-4, 2.70 ERA)
MIA: Slowey (1-3, 2.55 ERA)

BOS: Buchholz (6-0, 1.69 ERA)
MIN: Worley (1-4, 7.15 ERA)

LAD: Ryu (4-2, 3.40 ERA)
ATL: Maholm (4-4, 3.94 ERA)

CHW: Sale (4-2, 2.88 ERA)
LAA: Wilson (3-2, 3.88 ERA)

MIL: Peralta (3-3, 5.40 ERA)
STL: Garcia (4-2, 2.88 ERA)

KC: Shields (2-3, 2.48 ERA)
OAK: Parker (2-5, 6.86 ERA)

SF: Bumgarner (4-1, 2.18 ERA)
COL: De La Rosa (4-3, 2.98 ERA)

WSH: Gonzalez (3-2, 4.20 ERA)
SD: Smith (0-0, 54.00 ERA)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 349)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5/17-5/19 Cheering, Venting, & Verlander Wrecked Your We

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 17, 2013 9:35 am

I'll be running Cliff Lee vsCIN and Matthew Edward Harvey @CHC today, and leaving Tone Time on my bench @PHI today. Cingrani's had back-to-back less than stellar outings, had his start pushed back, and is facing my other SP who I anticipate a greater chance at earning a W from. So expect a CGSO from Tone Time.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 349)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri May 17, 2013 10:15 am

Kuroda vs Tor, Buchholz @ Min...I too am leaving Tone Loc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OP5EnaaYjQ) on the bench tonight...2 so so starts in a row, his start pushed back due to shoulder soreness, and facing Cliff Lee? Keep it.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby rjforlife » Fri May 17, 2013 10:23 am

I've got Sale @ the Angels tonight, coming off the one-hitter, I'm not expecting much.

With M-Cab/Segura/Goldy/Cargo/Choo, I now own the top five hitters in the Yahoo game in my 10 team H2H league. Doesn't really mean much, but it's pretty nice to look at.

Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby ayebatter » Fri May 17, 2013 10:56 am

rjforlife wrote:I've got Sale @ the Angels tonight

As someone who owned him on all of my teams last year and non of them this year.... here's hoping that he gets Trombo'd tonight. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1324)

Postby Ender » Fri May 17, 2013 11:55 am

You can blame me for Verlander as well. Annibal Sanchez is like my only pitcher who is pitching better than his career norms so expect him to blow up next~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:36 pm

My week will probably be decided on friday depending on how Sale/Harvey do. I think I have the stronger starters remaining in each of my matchups but anyone can throw a lemon.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri May 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Assuming the decision hasn't essentially been made, today will be a big day for Tony Cingrani. Leake was good, not great, his last time out, but if Cingrani craps the bed, I think Leake will certainly be safe from demotion. On the other hand, even if Cingrani goes 7, Ks 10 and allows 2 or fewer ERs, he might still be demoted.

Would really suck because I used a good % of my WW budget to get Tony in a league where we're strapped for roster spots with a high innings limit.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby bayside » Fri May 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Anyone see how the runs were scored off Harvey?
Yahoos play-byplay says the 2nd run scored an error by Tejada but box score shows both runs are earned.

Also, how bout that ninja win from Cain last night? Looked horrible while serving up BP, but managed to get into the 7th, eke out the W, and had a fantastic game compared to that donk Verlander.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BJSFAN123 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Plug in Heyward in UTIL against the lefty or keep Berkman against Porcello in there for now? Thinking Berkman is the better start since Heyward is just coming back and has to play a lefty, but I'm also anxious to get him back in my lineup.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers