Clay Buchholz: What side of the fence are you on? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clay Buchholz: What side of the fence are you on?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Clay Buchholz: What side of the fence are you on?

Postby Ender » Sun May 12, 2013 8:21 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
Ender wrote:Yeah he was very obviously cheating, I don't know how anyone can really defend him. It is just a question of how much it helped and how much was him.

Not saying he wasn't cheating but where is the proof? I can say Stephen Strasburg is very obviously cheating.... Doesn't make it true with no proof.

Did you watch the video of him pitching and how he completely changed his routine the next start? He didn't have the shiny substance on his arm, he no longer touched his arm every AB, his pitches weren't moving anywhere near as much. I mean he was being really really obvious here. If you don't believe he was cheating I won't be able to offer you proof because you need caught red handed and suspended type of proof and we aren't getting that now.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OBPlover » Mon May 13, 2013 12:17 am

Ender wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
Ender wrote:Yeah he was very obviously cheating, I don't know how anyone can really defend him. It is just a question of how much it helped and how much was him.

Not saying he wasn't cheating but where is the proof? I can say Stephen Strasburg is very obviously cheating.... Doesn't make it true with no proof.

Did you watch the video of him pitching and how he completely changed his routine the next start? He didn't have the shiny substance on his arm, he no longer touched his arm every AB, his pitches weren't moving anywhere near as much. I mean he was being really really obvious here. If you don't believe he was cheating I won't be able to offer you proof because you need caught red handed and suspended type of proof and we aren't getting that now.

Chomp..Chomp... Your theory has more holes than this Swiss cheese sandwich I'm eating as a midnight snack.

First, he didn't pitch all that bad in the last 2 games. He didn't give up any HRs to the Jays, though despite their problems, lead the AL in Home Runs. It's his immaculate HR rate that's supporting his ERA, there was no evidence shown of that changing.

Second, it's not like Bucky never had periods of dominance. Look at his 2012. He gets clobbered the first month, absolutely clobbered. Like a 10.00 ERA in 4 starts. Than by June and July, he dominates, finally by the end of the year, he starts to falter again. If your "he cheats with sunscreen" theory is right, how do you account for his volatile performance last year? Does he forget to pack his sunscreen on the easiest months of the year to get away with it?

Third, even if he cheats, that article suggests there seems to be one of those unwritten rules of baseball that "sunscreen" is an ok scuffle to the ball and that a ton of other pitchers use it. So even if he gets caught, he probably gets away with it indefinitely.

Fourth, no one important "called him out", for that game in Toronto. The Umpires said nothing. The Jays hitters' (biggest complainers in baseball otherwise) said nothing, Gibbons said nothing. A few members of the media speculated on it. Do you think Bucholtz lost sleep over that and changed his routine? I doubt it.

So basically your theory is that a) he's cheating in a way different than other pitchers, b) he's going to get caught c) Without the sunscreen he's a terrible pitcher.

That's a complex conspiracy theory vs the 99% chance that his past 2 games pitched being mediocre is that No pitcher, even a cheat, can possibly carry a 1.00 ERA all season. Some regression was coming no matter what. Is Anibal Sanchez really that good? He could have a career year but he still won't finish with an ERA below 2.00.

Bucholtz might drop off a cliff but there's nothing in his support stats that strongly infers it's coming soon.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 240)

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon May 13, 2013 11:48 am

Clay Buchholz has always had tremendous movement on his pitches... That's why he was consider a top flight prospect coming out of the minors. Now that he is gaining some command he is pitching extremely well with a raised K% people suspect cheating. I dont think it's anything out of the norm for a pitcher with great stuff to...ya know....pitch well. I dont think he was cheating no matter what he does the rest of the year. I think he is just a pitcher taking the next step in his game who started off the season really hot. IF he cools off a bit, it is something that should be expected... Kind of like Matt Harvey is expected to slow down but not fall flat on his face. I dont think a late breakout from Buchholz should be anything shocking though... He has always had great stuff. Confidence and first pitch strikes can go a long way for a pitcher.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 345)

Postby thedude » Wed May 15, 2013 1:13 am

Ender wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:

Maybe you should read this article using PITCHf/x to examine the movement on Buchholz pitches.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/ ... itball-mlb

The movement of every single pitch thrown is recorded by MLB and released to the public. Yet there is no evidence in PITCHf/x of spitballs.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby OBPlover » Fri May 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Another solid start for Bucholz tonight. :-)
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 240)

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri May 17, 2013 11:21 pm

OBPlover wrote:Another solid start for Bucholz tonight. :-)

I wonder how he was doctoring the baseball THIS time.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 am

Ender, hush. ;-)
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 159)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Still going strong.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Postby soxfan364 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Let's hope the "neck tightness" doesn't linger... 9-0 now, ERA still 1.71 ;-D
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:42 pm

soxfan364 wrote:Let's hope the "neck tightness" doesn't linger... 9-0 now, ERA still 1.71 ;-D

He is pitching great with an FIP of 2.48 and an xFIP of 3.23. He is doing awesome, but he wont be able to sustain his current HR/9 of 0.21.

Here's hoping he doesn't have to do a DL stint due to the neck tightness.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers