100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should I buy this team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Should I buy this team?

Postby OBPlover » Tue May 14, 2013 4:54 pm

ramble2 wrote:
OBPlover wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:$25 isn't bad, but I would only pay it if a) people get paid in the top 3 or b) you call yourself a nice guy and like to help friends out. The former will take some real work to get to that 3rd place at the very least, and you could be forced to pair up hot hands (Buck, Reynolds) with more known players to get players you really need. The latter just means you eat $25 and ride it out whatever happens. If you are neither a or b, then save your $25.

Both are true actually. Top 3 pay and there's also playoff money where top 8 participate and anything can happen.

That's a lot more tempting if you only need to get into the top 8 to get playoff money and you're helping out a buddy. I wouldn't look at it as an investment so much as (a) helping out a friend; and (b) giving yourself a bit of a fantasy baseball challenge.

Would you have to pay your friend the remaining $25 even if your playoff winnings were less than $25? That doesn't seem fair. Maybe negotiate the back end of that deal a little bit so you don't end up deeper in the hole if you manage to get that team to the playoffs, e.g., you pay him back the second $25 only if you end up winning more than that in the final payouts.

I apologize, I don't think I was clear. Top 8 make the playoffs but then a round robin begins and only the top 3 teams in the playoffs get a prize. The third place prize Is 75 bucks IIRC, so there's enough there to repay the 25.00 and still keep 50 as a profit.

If I bought this team, it would be for the challenge. Sometimes, it's fun to inherit teams and challenge your trading abilities. There are some leagues I know of that are autodraft only. :-)
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers