Should I buy this team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should I buy this team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should I buy this team?

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat May 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Possible, but that would also be assuming he had the #12 pick or possibly #11. So am I to assume he went upton/beltre at the turn?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Should I buy this team?

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat May 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Upton and beltre's adp was #19 and #20.. I suppose it's possible they were taken #12 and #13, but seems pretty bold.
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Re: Should I buy this team?

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:53 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Possible, but that would also be assuming he had the #12 pick or possibly #11. So am I to assume he went upton/beltre at the turn?

Yeah, which isn't too crazy since with pick #12 unless you go pitcher you are looking at probably Stanton/Upton/Hamilton/Bautista/Beltre unless maybe Cargo or Tulo falls to you.

I was really glad I didn't end up with that pick this year since I don't like taking a pitcher that early.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Should I buy this team?

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat May 11, 2013 10:02 pm

Yeah, now that I think about it.. I'm in a league with a few cafe guys and I was super pissed when I got #11. I hated all the hitters there so I ended up going kershaw and then reached for Harper at #14. Needless to say, I'm happy with how it worked out, but if I wanted to be safe there, I suppose beltre would have been a logical pick.
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby OBPlover » Sat May 11, 2013 10:59 pm

It was an auction draft actually. He definitely made some auction mistakes.

He bought and dumped Roy halladay for 15 (he's casual) and Chris Carpenter for like $3 (just before he went down)

So that's almost 20 $ wasted right there.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 125)

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon May 13, 2013 2:43 pm

$25 isn't bad, but I would only pay it if a) people get paid in the top 3 or b) you call yourself a nice guy and like to help friends out. The former will take some real work to get to that 3rd place at the very least, and you could be forced to pair up hot hands (Buck, Reynolds) with more known players to get players you really need. The latter just means you eat $25 and ride it out whatever happens. If you are neither a or b, then save your $25.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby OBPlover » Mon May 13, 2013 7:52 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:$25 isn't bad, but I would only pay it if a) people get paid in the top 3 or b) you call yourself a nice guy and like to help friends out. The former will take some real work to get to that 3rd place at the very least, and you could be forced to pair up hot hands (Buck, Reynolds) with more known players to get players you really need. The latter just means you eat $25 and ride it out whatever happens. If you are neither a or b, then save your $25.

Both are true actually. Top 3 pay and there's also playoff money where top 8 participate and anything can happen.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 125)

Postby ramble2 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:25 pm

OBPlover wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:$25 isn't bad, but I would only pay it if a) people get paid in the top 3 or b) you call yourself a nice guy and like to help friends out. The former will take some real work to get to that 3rd place at the very least, and you could be forced to pair up hot hands (Buck, Reynolds) with more known players to get players you really need. The latter just means you eat $25 and ride it out whatever happens. If you are neither a or b, then save your $25.

Both are true actually. Top 3 pay and there's also playoff money where top 8 participate and anything can happen.

That's a lot more tempting if you only need to get into the top 8 to get playoff money and you're helping out a buddy. I wouldn't look at it as an investment so much as (a) helping out a friend; and (b) giving yourself a bit of a fantasy baseball challenge.

Would you have to pay your friend the remaining $25 even if your playoff winnings were less than $25? That doesn't seem fair. Maybe negotiate the back end of that deal a little bit so you don't end up deeper in the hole if you manage to get that team to the playoffs, e.g., you pay him back the second $25 only if you end up winning more than that in the final payouts.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby AHF » Tue May 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Pay if you want into the league and this is your way in. Don't pay if you are looking for a financial reward. There are going to be some much better teams in that 12 team league.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Ehlana » Tue May 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Paying your friend half the entry fee and then winnings up to the entire entry fee seems like a bad deal. Your friend isn't going to be able to manage it, so he's going to lose 50 dolllars. Seems getting half that back would be sufficient. I'd say pay him the 25 dollars and you keep all the winnings, or manage the team and split the winnings 50/50 (but if you can't manage it into cash he foots the full 50 dollar entry fee).
(\ _ /)
(='.'=)
(")_(")*
Ehlana
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers