Kazmir the real deal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kazmir the real deal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kazmir the real deal?

Postby bayside » Tue May 21, 2013 4:33 am

What did people really expect from? This is who he is.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Tue May 21, 2013 9:17 am

bayside wrote:What did people really expect from? This is who he is.

This.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 am

bayside wrote:What did people really expect from? This is who he is.

for some reason, this is exactly what I expected. yet, I still picked him up and started him twice. I think I just do this to torture myself.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Ender » Tue May 21, 2013 11:23 am

He is sitting at a 4.02 xFIP and 9.5 K/9, people are expecting rougly 2008 Kazmir without the lucky ERA and that appears to be what he is giving other than a few extra HR which is usually just random noise. As long as you are picking your spots well that is valuable.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Ender wrote:He is sitting at a 4.02 xFIP and 9.5 K/9, people are expecting rougly 2008 Kazmir without the lucky ERA and that appears to be what he is giving other than a few extra HR which is usually just random noise. As long as you are picking your spots well that is valuable.

As long as you expect him to maintain that...I really don't.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Tue May 21, 2013 12:31 pm

I do expect him to since his velocity is back. I expect sort of a normal Brandon Morrow style season. Lots of ups and downs and the end result probably not worth owning but for spot starts against bad offenses he can give some value. To me there are 4 types of pitchers.

Every day guys - Obviously not in this part. Guys like Hamels and Gallardo are on this list even though I'd sit either of them @Col and Gallardo vs STL as an example.
Keep on roster but spot start - I'm not quite putting him in this group yet but I could have if he had a couple more good starts. Lincecum fits into this for me, Cashner would if I had him etc.
Pick up, spot start and drop - This is the majority of guys and where I would put Kazmir right now.
Not worth spot starting - This is where I guess you would put Kazmir. For me this is usually low K guys on bad teams so you can't expect to get K and the W isn't likely even against a bad team. This is also for just awful pitchers but I still think Kazmir has the upside to be useful in some situations so he doesn't fit this bill for me.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Tue May 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Ender wrote:I do expect him to since his velocity is back. I expect sort of a normal Brandon Morrow style season. Lots of ups and downs and the end result probably not worth owning but for spot starts against bad offenses he can give some value. To me there are 4 types of pitchers.

Every day guys - Obviously not in this part. Guys like Hamels and Gallardo are on this list even though I'd sit either of them @Col and Gallardo vs STL as an example.
Keep on roster but spot start - I'm not quite putting him in this group yet but I could have if he had a couple more good starts. Lincecum fits into this for me, Cashner would if I had him etc.
Pick up, spot start and drop - This is the majority of guys and where I would put Kazmir right now.
Not worth spot starting - This is where I guess you would put Kazmir. For me this is usually low K guys on bad teams so you can't expect to get K and the W isn't likely even against a bad team. This is also for just awful pitchers but I still think Kazmir has the upside to be useful in some situations so he doesn't fit this bill for me.

No, I'd put him in the 3rd category...pick up for the nice matchups but wouldn't hesitate to drop right back to the ww. Just seems more people have him in the 2nd category though....at least that's the vibe I'm getting.

By the way, I pretty much go by that same sort of categories for pitchers.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers