5/10-5/12 Cheering, Venting, & My Almost 30 Soapbox - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/10-5/12 Cheering, Venting, & My Almost 30 Soapbox

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5/10-5/12 Cheering, Venting, & My Almost 30 Soapbox

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 10, 2013 9:04 am

Here's a fringe benefit to making these things. I get to announce my birthday. I'm 29 today. Almost half-way to ayebatter's age. Been hanging here since I was just a month into my 21st year. Better part of a decade. I remember when I first started posting here thinking that everyone here was so old, and now I think everyone is so young (ayebatter not withstanding -- did I use that right? Should it be withstanding? Is it off the wagon or on the wagon?) I've watched the Cafe change a lot over the last eight years (and in many ways, not change nearly enough), but big thanks to everyone who chooses to spend their time here sharing their love and knowledge of this stupid little game, which is essentially Dungeons and Dragons sports geeks (or if you're StlSluggers, actual Dungeons and Dragons). Huge thanks to this great community -- you guys are awesome. Keep contributing. Keep posting. Keep thinking. This is one of the few corners of the internet where an intelligent conversation can be had without it resorting to silliness or nonsense (mweir posts not withstanding -- just kidding, also I'm still not sure if I'm using that phrase correctly). A ton of awesome members have come and gone in my eight years here -- be the ones who are still here. The Pogos, the wrvereses, the RJs (that's daullaz, folks), the GiantsFans, Tavishes, etc. (there's lots more, don't be offended if I didn't list you, it's 9:00 am and I'm in Study Hall). These guys have seen all that this place has to offer, and all that it's come up short on, and they're still here rockin and rollin. But I digress. All I'm asking for as a gift this year is a Win this week in my main league against the other 4 - 1 team in the league -- after Vargas' defecation last night, odds look slim; but they've looked slim on Friday of each of the past two weeks, and my team's poured it on over the weekend to pull out victories. So we shall see. Anyway, that's all I got. Thanks for reading.

tl;dr

.: I Love Matthew Edward Harvey :.
Matthew Edward Harvey is better than your best pitcher.

.: In My Team News :.
Executed a trade of my Alexi Ogando & Evan Gattis for Matt Wieters (or is it Weiters?) & Marco Estrada. Nothing exhilarating, but I'm happy with my haul.

I've got 4 starts remaining this week... I'm rolling Alexi Ogando @HOU, Tony Cingrano vsMIL, Cliff Lee @ARI, and Matt Harvey vsPIT. Sitting Jose Fernandez @LAD for fear of pitch count. Seems he's on a severe 85 pitch count, limiting his chances of earning QS (important in a points league), and W (also important in a points league).

Did I really pick up Scott Kazmir yesterday? Is it weird that I threw up immediately after?

.: Today's Games :.
CLE: Kluber (2-1, 3.06 ERA)
DET: Scherzer (4-0, 3.43 ERA)

CHC: Samardzija (1-4, 3.09 ERA)
WSH: Detwiler (1-3, 2.50 ERA)

TOR: Ortiz (0-0, 5.40 ERA)
BOS: Lester (4-0, 3.30 ERA)

MIL: Gallardo (3-1, 4.50 ERA)
CIN: Cingrani (2-0, 2.63 ERA)

SD: Volquez (3-3, 5.50 ERA)
TB: Cobb (4-2, 2.79 ERA)

PIT: Rodriguez (2-2, 4.02 ERA)
NYM: Marcum (0-2, 7.20 ERA)

CHW: Axelrod (0-2, 3.60 ERA)
LAA: N/A

COL: Garland (3-2, 4.75 ERA)
STL: Miller (4-2, 1.96 ERA)

NYY: Hughes (1-2, 3.60 ERA)
KC: Davis (2-2, 4.75 ERA)

PHI: Cloyd (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
ARI: Kennedy (1-3, 5.19 ERA)

BAL: Hammel (5-1, 4.10 ERA)
MIN: Pelfrey (3-3, 6.35 ERA)

MIA: Fernandez (1-2, 3.48 ERA)
LAD: Magill (0-0, 7.88 ERA)

TEX: Ogando (3-2, 3.08 ERA)
HOU: Keuchel (0-1, 4.96 ERA)

ATL: Hudson (4-1, 3.83 ERA)
SF: Cain (1-2, 5.57 ERA)

OAK: Straily (1-0, 5.94 ERA)
SEA: Iwakuma (3-1, 1.61 ERA)

In closing, I leave you with this...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5/10-5/12 Cheering, Venting, & My Almost 30 Soapbox

Postby J35J » Fri May 10, 2013 9:09 am

Nice post, I agree with most of it....though I am pissed you didn't mention me!

Got Cingrani, Marcum :-o and Hammel :-o going today.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby rjforlife » Fri May 10, 2013 9:10 am

I'm 29 as well.... And why call out the name RJ but point out that it's not me, how rude! !+)

A nice Iwakuma start may be just what I need to seal another 9-1 week after starting with 4 straight 4-5 or 5-5 weeks.

My first Cingrani start without owning him, it could be rough.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 10, 2013 9:19 am

J3, you are obviously lumped into that group I mentioned -- place would not be the same without you. RJ, you've been at the forefront of so many fun themes here at the Cafe, including the few I'm still trying to get steamrolling (I will get foul tips included on FanGraphs come hell or high water, dammit); same to you. ;-D ;-D

Also, what time is it?

TOOOOOOOONE TIIIIIIIIIIIME.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby wingman3110 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:21 am

Burch Smith. Getting the start tomorrow for San Diego. Anyone know much about this guy? From what I see he has good strikeout and walk numbers. Don't know anything about his stuff though.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby kab21 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:46 am

I might be able to see another Twins game this weekend since the O's are Taiwan's favorite team because they have one player from Taiwan.

I'm also hoping that the Dodgers continue flailing away and Jose can cruise through that lineup a few times.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby rjforlife » Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 am

I swear to you guys that during Kershaw's last start, Vin Scully mentioned how many foul balls Kershaw was getting at least a half dozen times. He is my idol now.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri May 10, 2013 10:42 am

Time check.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri May 10, 2013 10:46 am

Good post bighOrt! ;-D

Have to admit, a good chunk of my fantasy baseball desire and prowess directly stems from the regulars on the baseball cafe. The knowledge, good advice, meaningful discussions and general camaraderie have spurned me to contribute as often as I do. :-)

The basketball side used to be similar to how you guys have stayed together/contributed, but on a much smaller scale. Sadly, now, it's pretty much of a ghost town - nothing in the way of meaningful or fun discussions. :,-(

Don't believe that will ever happen on this side though. ;-)

Anyways, big day on the mound. Definite go's - Scherzer, Hughes, Miller, Cingrani and Lester, but sitting Jose Fernandez in a QS roto league. :-°
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:12 am

I was mentioned! <3
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers