5/9 Cheering, Venting & Paul Goldschmidt, ruiner of dreams - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/9 Cheering, Venting & Paul Goldschmidt, ruiner of dreams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Worst Team in the NL West?

Dodgers
7%
LA Dodgers
7%
Los Dodgers
No votes
The Dodgers of LA
29%
That crappy ass team just north of Hollywood.
57%

Total votes : 14

5/9 Cheering, Venting & Paul Goldschmidt, ruiner of dreams

Postby wrveres » Thu May 09, 2013 7:19 am

It’s come to this for the Dodgers: They can’t even win when ace Clayton Kershaw starts and allows only one earned run. The injured kept falling and losses kept mounting Wednesday, the Dodgers dropping their seventh consecutive game, a 3-2 decision against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
The Dodgers were unable to overcome a pair of home runs from Paul Goldschmidt, who has been personally terrorizing the Dodgers. In his 24 at-bats against the Dodgers this season, he’s hitting .458 with four home runs and 11 runs batted in. LA Times

The Dodgers are 5-16 against the National League West and have lost seven straight games against divisional foes. After victimizing Chris Capuano, Brandon League, and Kershaw in the series, Goldschmidt took aim at Kenley Jansen in the eighth inning, and put another one over the wall for a 3-2 Arizona lead. True Blue

The Dodgers are last in the National League West. With a $230 million payroll and high expectations, this is not where the club expected to be 33 games into the season "Every day at this point is deflating," manager Don Mattingly said. "When it keeps kind of creeping on you day in and day out and you get Kershaw up there and you feel like it's a day [to win], and he keeps them to two runs and we're not able to put enough on the board." MLB.com

Anniversaries; Chris Jaffe
  • 1937 Reds 21, Phillies 10. Reds get 24 hits in all, including six by catcher Ernie Lombardi. Teammate Alex Kampouris hits three homers, including a grand slam, and ends the day with eight RBIs
  • 1946 In 12th inning of 2-2 tie, Johnny Hopp of the Braves steals home. The Braves beat the Cubs 5-2.
  • 1960 Tony Gwynn, greatest player in Padres history, is born.
  • 1961 Carl Yastrzemski hits his first career home run.
  • 1961 Orioles slugger Jim Gentile has one of the greatest games in history, belting two grand slams in one contest.
  • 1962 Brooks Robinson becomes the sixth person to hit grand slams in back-to-back games. As it happens, he was also on base for both of teammates Jim Gentile’s slams exactly one year before this one
  • 1963 Frank Robinson has one of his best games, going 5-for-5 with three runs, seven RBIs, a double, and two homers. He’ll have a better game a few years later, when he joins Gentile in the rare two-slams-in-one-game club
  • 1973 Johnny Bench homers three times in a game. It’s the second time in his career he’s done it, and as it happens, both times came against the same opposing pitcher: Steve Carlton.
  • 1979 During an umpire’s strike, substitute umpire Dave Pallone ejects the entire St. Louis Cardinals bench after a player throws helmets and bats onto the field to protest a call.
  • 1984 Harold Baines homers in the bottom of the 25th to end the longest game in AL history: CWS 8, MIL 7 (25).
  • 1984 Prince Fielder, slugging first baseman, is born.
  • 1986 The Phillies release Dave Stewart, whose best years are still to come.
  • 1987 Eddie Murray homers from both sides of the plate for the second straight day, something unprecedented in baseball history.
  • 1990 Minor leaguer Bernard Gilkey gets three hits in an inning.
  • 1995 Indians score eight runs before making their first out in a game
  • 1999 Florida State University slugger Marshall McDougall homers in six consecutive trips to the plate in 26-2 win over Maryland. He also homered to start the game. He had 16 RBIs on the day.
  • 2010 Dallas Braden throws a perfect game in a 4-0 A’s win over the Rays.
Bullpen Report
Ryan Madson is apparently on track for a return next week. Yes, I’m totally serious. It would be nice to see Madson put his elbow discomfort behind him as the 32-year-old was a lights out reliever with a sub-3.00 xFIP in 2010 and 2011 before Tommy John surgery ended his 2012 before it started. It’s almost a foregone conclusion that Madson will be handled with kid gloves for a few weeks as he continues to rebuild strength in his arm. Correspondingly, I would certainly have him well below guys like Bell, Gregg, or Junichi Tazawa on the “must grab if available” list, but if you have deep rosters and a spot to burn, Ernesto Frieri‘s 18.6% BB% (5.17 xFIP) could allow some doors to swing open for Madson in a month or two.
Closing Time
Chris Perez tried to blow a save on Wednesday, but the umps were having none of it. Adam Rosales' two-out blast to left-center in the ninth was ruled a double on the field, yet replays clearly showed the ball striking a metal railing above the wall, then bouncing back into the field of play.See it for yourself right here. Somehow, even after video review, the umps didn't give Rosales the homer. Of course Angel Hernandez was involved.
Halladay To Undergo Shoulder Surgery
Phillies right-hander Roy Halladay will undergo surgery on his right shoulder to remove a bone spur and repair a partially torn rotator cuff and fraying labrum, he announced today. Halladay, who spoke to reporters today remains optimistic that he will pitch again in 2013, as doctors will look to make the procedure as non-invasive as possible
The New and Improved Corbin
Increased velocity has helped Patrick Corbin outperform his projected status as a back-end starter. As long as Corbin can retain his velocity surge for the entire season, he could continue to show increased effectiveness with his pitches. He’ll also need to show that his sinker has improved enough to limit home runs at a better rate than last season. Corbin has helped himself by pounding the zone, which is the ideal strategy for a pitcher with his skill set. He won’t post a sub 3.00 ERA this year, but he’s already taken a major step forward.
The Proof Is In The Peripherals
Thine Eyes Deceive You: Starling Marte. The young Pirates star was leading the league in hits entering Tuesday's play but was also near the top of the charts in another, more telling category --- Marte's .398 BABIP is a sign that some regression is on its way. For all Marte's gifts, he was never a big on-base guy even in the minors so once his grounders stop finding holes and his fly balls stop leaving the yard at a 20.8% rate, Marte is due for some hard times. The good thing is, though, Marte's prospect pedigree and his good stolen base numbers should make him a very solid piece of trade bait; just don't go overboard and try to move Marte for an established superstar outfielder.
Burch Smith, RHP, Padres (Double-A San Antonio)
Smith has been perhaps the most impressive pitcher in the Texas League this month, posting a 1.38 ERA with 31 strikeouts and just four walks over 26 innings. The 23-year-old has flashed plus command of a dominant fastball that sits between 93-96 mph and reaches up to 98. Although Smith doesn’t create much downhill plane and doesn’t have a ton of fastball life, he has a highly deceptive delivery and hides the ball extremely well. The deception enables his big velocity to play up a tick and induce a number of late swings.
When I saw Smith in action early last week, he also showed a potential average changeup and fringy curveball. The Texan may profile as a late-inning reliever due to the dominant fastball and lack of a plus secondary pitch. But some scouts believe he can stick in a starting role, and his ability to hold plus velocity and command his arsenal with deception could give him a chance

News that interests me, and possibly you, but mostly me.
  • Paul Goldschmidt homered off Clayton Kershaw and Kenley Jansen to drive in all three Diamondbacks runs in a win over the Dodgers on Wednesday
  • Heath Bell pitched around a leadoff double to pick up a save in a 3-2 game against the Dodgers
  • Josh Hamilton went 1-for-3 with his third home run of the season in the Angels' loss to the Astros
  • Jerk Joe Blanton moves to 0-6 as Angels fall to Astros
  • Jordan Zimmermann allowed one run over seven innings, and the Nationals beat the Tigers 3-1
  • Rafael Soriano worked a perfect ninth inning to earn his 11th save of the season Wednesday
  • Red Sox optioned RHP Allen Webster to Triple-A Pawtucket ... LOL :-D
  • Oswaldo Arcia went 4-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored as the Twins beat the Red Sox 15-8 on Wednesday
  • Matt Moore allowed two runs over five innings, earning the win as the Rays beat the Blue Jays on Wednesday.
  • Ricky Romero pitched one-third of an inning Wednesday, allowing three runs and taking the loss
  • Jake Peavy allowed one run over 6 2/3 innings in the White Sox' 6-3 win over the Mets on Wednesday.
  • J.J. Hardy homers for third time in four games
  • J.A. Happ has some skull fractures behind his left ear that doctors think will heal on their own. He also hurt his right knee when he fell to the ground after being hit in the head by a line drive
  • Curtis Granderson will begin a minor league rehab assignment Thursday
  • Albert Pujols is the designated hitter Wednesday, because his surgically repaired right knee has been bothering him lately
  • Burch Smith will start for Padres Saturday
Todays Games
Athletics (18-17) @ Indians (17-14), 12:05pm
OAK: Bartolo Colon (40, RHP, 3-1, 3.62)
CLE: Scott Kazmir (29, LHP, 1-1, 6.28)

Royals (17-13) @ Orioles (21-13), 7:05pm
KCR: Jeremy Guthrie (34, RHP, 4-0, 2.40)
BAL: Freddy Garcia (36, RHP, 0-0, 2.70)

Twins (15-15) @ RedSox (21-13), 7:10pm
MIN: Kevin Correia (32, RHP, 3-2, 2.83)
BOS: John Lackey (34, RHP, 1-2, 3.52)

Blue Jays (13-22) @ Rays (15-18), 7:10pm
TOR: R.A. Dickey (38, RHP, 2-5, 5.36)
TBR: David Price (27, LHP, 1-3, 6.25)

Angels (11-22) @ Astros (10-24), 8:10pm
LAA: Jason Vargas (30, LHP, 1-3, 3.72)
HOU: Lucas Harrell (28, RHP, 3-3, 5.03)

Yankees (19-13) @ Rockies (19-14), 3:10pm
NYY: CC Sabathia (32, LHP, 4-3, 3.31)
COL: Jeff Francis (32, LHP, 1-2, 7.27)

Tigers (19-12) @ Nationals (18-15), 4:05pm
DET: Doug Fister (29, RHP, 4-0, 2.48)
WSN: Dan Haren (32, RHP, 3-3, 5.01)

Pirates (18-15) @ Mets (13-17), 7:10pm
PIT: Jeff Locke (25, LHP, 3-1, 3.21)
NYM: Dillon Gee (27, RHP, 2-4, 6.16)

Phillies (16-19) @ D'backs (19-15), 9:40pm
PHI: Cole Hamels (29, LHP, 1-4, 4.34)
ARI: Patrick Corbin (23, LHP, 4-0, 1.80)

Braves (20-13) @ Giants (20-14), 10:15pm
ATL: Julio Teheran (22, RHP, 1-0, 5.08)
SFG: Ryan Vogelsong (35, RHP, 1-2, 7.20)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5/9 Cheering, Venting & Paul Goldschmidt, ruiner of drea

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 09, 2013 7:24 am

I hope Jason Vargas has whatever he was drinking before his last start bottled up, so he can suck some of it down @HOU today... My opponent's pitching has been monstrous this week, to the point where I'm 2 starts ahead of him and up just 17 points... :-o
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Izenhart » Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 am

This date in history blurbs are my favorite. Great job with the links wrv.

In a future this date in history blurb I will read about how two Cy Young winners from the year before faced off in the regular season for only the third time in MLB history. Hopefully I will then read how Dickey dominated David.

Rolling out Fister x3, Lackey x2 and Dickey x1 today, one team sharing all three. Wake me when the carnage ends.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby wingman3110 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:34 am

Jay Bruce owners you can thank me yesterday for his HR. Of course I decided to bench him since He has been terrible and going against Minor yesterday. I even said to myself, "he's going to go yard twice". Well I was half right and took one for the team yesterday, so hopefully this starts a hot streak for him.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Re: Re: 5/9 Cheering, Venting & Paul Goldschmidt, ruiner of

Postby garf112 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 am

Izenhart wrote:This date in history blurbs are my favorite. Great job with the links wrv.

In a future this date in history blurb I will read about how two Cy Young winners from the year before faced off in the regular season for only the third time in MLB history. Hopefully I will then read how Dickey dominated David.

Rolling out Fister x3, Lackey x2 and Dickey x1 today, one team sharing all three. Wake me when the carnage ends.

I am benching Mr. Dickey until he shows me he is back and has a bit of a better matchup for a win. He will most likely throw a complete game shutout with 10+ Ks.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Ehlana » Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 am

The better question is who's more disappointing the Dodgers of LA or the Angels of LA?
(\ _ /)
(='.'=)
(")_(")*
Ehlana
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)

Postby kab21 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:35 am

Ehlana wrote:The better question is who's more disappointing the Dodgers of LA or the Angels of LA?

Win-win?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Ender » Thu May 09, 2013 12:49 pm

I started Dickey today but I'm not happy about it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rjforlife » Thu May 09, 2013 1:03 pm

I'm running Corbin out there against Philly and all it's lefties. And I'm against Sabathia this afternoon with my Cargo/Rutledge so looking for a lot of runs if they play.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu May 09, 2013 1:05 pm

rjforlife wrote:I'm running Corbin out there against Philly and all it's lefties. And I'm against Sabathia this afternoon with my Cargo/Rutledge so looking for a lot of runs if they play.

Yeah. I'm starting Corbin as well. After the disaster with Webster yesterday, I need him to have another good outing.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers