Price? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Price?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Price?

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 16, 2013 6:37 am

if Price does indeed miss a start (likely) who is expected to get the call?
I would think Jake Odorizzi over Chris Archer.
Odorizzi pitched last night, so he would be on the same rotation day. plus I read that Archer recently had an injury himself.
although in Odorizzi's game last night he did give up 6 ER and 3 HR.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Thu May 16, 2013 9:11 am

OBPlover wrote:
Ender wrote:
mobzz wrote:The 5 ER actually went the other way and were added to his line. When he left hurt tonight I actuaclly was kind of happy because he cant kill my ratios from the DL. (Only hoping for a couple month trip tho)

No they weren't, they were subtracted. Price is my fault, sorry guys. Every single stud pitcher I drafted this year has been awful and every hitter in the league who is hitting under .200 with no power is on one of my teams. This season has been a complete loss for me from a fantasy standpoint.

Sorry to hear that Endy, which pitchers are you referring to? Because if it's Cain or Dickey I think they'll turn around for you.

Price, Hamels, Dickey, heck even Verlander is a little off since the K are down and he isn't winning as much. I also got guys like Gallardo and I drafted Hammel late in leagues etc. My pitching is being carried by Dempster and Burnett in most leagues which is just sad. I own BJ Upton, Moustakas, Weeks, Davis, had Hicks for a while, Quentin, Alvarez, Freese, Willingham etc. I just happened to draft all the cold start guys this season. Hopefully it evens out over time but it is extra annoying starting out slow because you struggle to trade guys when they have stunk all year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 16, 2013 9:20 am

So maybe those guys weren't so crazy for taking Darvish over Hamels.

I made an offer for Price a couple days ago which was scoffed at, because "he's a top 4 pitcher". It was Moore+ for Price. Kinda happy that it was turned down.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Ender » Thu May 16, 2013 9:26 am

Skin Blues wrote:So maybe those guys weren't so crazy for taking Darvish over Hamels.

I made an offer for Price a couple days ago which was scoffed at, because "he's a top 4 pitcher". It was Moore+ for Price. Kinda happy that it was turned down.

The results don't have anything to do with what the correct move is. If someone picked Mike Trout with the 8th pick last year it was still an awful pick.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 16, 2013 10:25 am

And you're assuming that your process was better than that of the experts who drafted Darvish ahead of Hamels.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu May 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Skin Blues wrote:And you're assuming that your process was better than that of the experts who drafted Darvish ahead of Hamels.
what makes them anymore of an expert than say myself or Ender? Because they call themselves experts? Because their social group decided they were experts? I notice that this social group that you frequent has decided that Ender is an expert, so why the attack?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby wrveres » Thu May 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Rotoprofessor: Hamels 6, Darvish 19
Fake Teams: Hamels 6, Darvish 14. (this is a compilation ranking and none of them had Darvish over Hamels)
Rotographs: Hamels 5, Darvish 11. (this is also a compilation ranking and none of them had Darvish over Hamels)
Cafe: Hamels 6, Darvish 20.
this is a forum that you frequent, and seem to have an opinion on everything, yet i dont see you calling out anybody for picking Hamels over Darvish here.

Searching your posts, the only thing you had to say about Hamels this spring just so happened to be in the Yu Darvish thread you are now questioning.
He could very easily be better than Hamels but I wouldn't pay for the upside when we already know what Hamels can do. We know Darvish can strike out MLB hitters at a very high rate (2nd in the majors in K% by a wide margin), and we know that he had elite+ control in Japan, but he hasn't put it all together yet so I'd be hesitant. The upside is very tempting. Playing half his games in Arlington certainly makes me even more skeptical, though. at least he'll get a bunch of games against the Astros, heh.

so it sounds to me like you are just giving a little revisionist history.

The point is, taking Darvish where they did was silly. (and apparently i need a hobby to take a break from my hobby :-) )
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 16, 2013 4:44 pm

For the most part I use Steamer's projections and they had him better than Hamels, but that's neither here nor there. Hamels was a safe play and Darvish was the upside play. Not revisionist history at all, I'm not saying I was right and he was wrong, and hell I dont' have either of these guys on any teams. I'm saying he makes statements as if they're facts and is quite often stubborn and just wrong. He's shown a lot more humility as the season goes along which I'm sure is a function of how well his teams are doing. Although we still get some ridiculous hyperbole spewed around, like the Samardzija business, Panda's upside is at-best Will Middlebrooks, and Yovani Gallardo is the best pitcher in baseball (OK, that's some of my own hyperbole, he's only the best in months other than April/May, and against bad teams, and in warm weather, and when Jupiter is aligned with the earth and sun).
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu May 16, 2013 5:04 pm

im looking at the steamer projections right now.

name	ERA	K	WHIP	W
Darvish 3.38 194.9 1.2 14.5
Hamels 3.4 205 1.15 15.6

looks like they favored Hamels.

but you are still missing the point. Everybody had Darvish going about 10 pitchers after Hamels. Taking him where they did was silly, i.e. not expertish.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bayside » Thu May 16, 2013 5:26 pm

wrveres wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:And you're assuming that your process was better than that of the experts who drafted Darvish ahead of Hamels.
what makes them anymore of an expert than say myself or Ender? Because they call themselves experts? Because their social group decided they were experts? I notice that this social group that you frequent has decided that Ender is an expert, so why the attack?

Well have do you judge them then, if not by their results? :-?

Cant really keep saying their process is flawed when its pretty obvious they WERE right, at least in this instance.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers