Struggling Cs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Struggling Cs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Struggling Cs

Postby hot4tx » Wed May 08, 2013 12:35 pm

So far this year several of the catchers commonly ranked as starters for single-catcher leagues have struggled. I expect Posey to be fine and expect Mauer to hit his normal .300 with mediocre power, but what do you expect from these other guys for the rest of the year?

Miguel Montero
Victor Martinez
Matt Wieters
Salvador Perez
Jesus Montero

I've looked at a lot of them in depth but wanted to get the general cafe consensus on it. Which (if any) of these guys end the season as viable starters? Do they end up better off than the waiver early performers Gattis and Russel Martin?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Struggling Cs

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 pm

I think Wieters will be fine. He's hit 4 HR and has 18 RBI, so he's on pace for 20 HR and 90 RBI with 60 Runs, all of which are about where I expected him. No steals, and that is also to be expected, so the only think really lagging is the .234 BA. .262 in 2011, .249 in 2012, so .234 really isn't that far behind either. I still expect Wieters to end up where he ended up the last couple of years, with 20+ HR, 80+ RBI, and low R/AVG/SB numbers. He's not near the top tier but he's definitely startable all season.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby J35J » Wed May 08, 2013 1:17 pm

I'm not as concerned with Miguel or Wieters...they have somewhat of a track record and nothing has changed those expectations yet for me this year. Wieters is Wieters and Miguel is sporting a nice .230 BABIP while his BB and K% are both very good so I'd expect him to turn it back around to what was expected, though the slow start will make his final numbers slightly less, we aren't concerned about that though because you've already got the crap he's given you already or you are buying low and the only stats you get are the ones going forward.

As for the other guys, I'd be looking to upgrade if possible as they are either old/hurt(VMart) or still unknowns/unprovens over full seasons(Perez/Jesus). I still like VMart the most out of those 3 though mostly due to that lineup around him.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:17 pm

rjforlife wrote:I think Wieters will be fine. He's hit 4 HR and has 18 RBI, so he's on pace for 20 HR and 90 RBI with 60 Runs, all of which are about where I expected him. No steals, and that is also to be expected, so the only think really lagging is the .234 BA. .262 in 2011, .249 in 2012, so .234 really isn't that far behind either. I still expect Wieters to end up where he ended up the last couple of years, with 20+ HR, 80+ RBI, and low R/AVG/SB numbers. He's not near the top tier but he's definitely startable all season.

Pretty much, he gets drafted as a top tier catcher (57.8 ADP in ESPN) but that's mostly because of his name and all the hype that surrounded him, even though he is 26 now and seems to be clear now that he isn't the .300 hitter most thought he would be.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OBPlover » Thu May 09, 2013 5:31 pm

I don't like Sal Perez and Jesus Montero. They are hackers with little plate discipline. I think Wieters and M. Montero will come around.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby kab21 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:23 pm

I remember when Wieters was an elite prospect and some people thought he would have a better career than Joe Mauer because he would hit more HR's. And they insisted on it.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby West » Thu May 09, 2013 9:57 pm

OBPlover wrote:I don't like Sal Perez and Jesus Montero. They are hackers with little plate discipline. I think Wieters and M. Montero will come around.

Perez is not a hacker at all. Only 67 K's in 541 career plate appearances. He doesn't walk a ton, but that is a great contact rate. He'll easily hit .300 this year.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby OBPlover » Fri May 10, 2013 3:03 am

West wrote:
OBPlover wrote:I don't like Sal Perez and Jesus Montero. They are hackers with little plate discipline. I think Wieters and M. Montero will come around.

Perez is not a hacker at all. Only 67 K's in 541 career plate appearances. He doesn't walk a ton, but that is a great contact rate. He'll easily hit .300 this year.

His K% rate has jumped up dramatically so far this year to 18% and his walk rate has dipped even worse to below 3%. He's not a hacker the way Adam Dunn is a hacker but he's still a hacker. Combine that with limited speed you usually get from a catcher and an average ballpark factor and I find it unlikely he hits .300.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 10, 2013 5:43 am

OBPlover wrote:
West wrote:

His K% rate has jumped up dramatically so far this year to 18% and his walk rate has dipped even worse to below 3%. He's not a hacker the way Adam Dunn is a hacker but he's still a hacker. Combine that with limited speed you usually get from a catcher and an average ballpark factor and I find it unlikely he hits .300.

Dunn is another guy I wouldn't classify as a hacker. You don't draw that many walks that way, regardless of propensity for strikeouts. Mark Reynolds, for me, is a true hacker.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby J35J » Fri May 10, 2013 8:52 am

The funny thing is Salvy is the definition of a hacker...swings at everything...but he's similar to Vlady G in that he can make contact with pretty much any pitch in any location. With that said, I do think he's a little overrated, at least for this year.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers