5/8 Cheering, venting, and Harvey ownage - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/8 Cheering, venting, and Harvey ownage

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5/8 Cheering, venting, and Harvey ownage

Postby m16a » Wed May 08, 2013 11:31 am

The MLB:

-Matt Harvey continues his brilliant streak, throwing almost seven perfect innings against the White Sox. He ended up throwing 9 shutout innings and allowing a single hit. The Mets walked off with a run in the 10th.

-JA Happ took a nasty shot to the head off the bat of Desmond Jennings in the second inning. He was down for over 10 minutes and had to be carted off the field to the hospital. He's currently in hospital care, and the last report from the Blue Jays said he is "doing well".

-The usually difficult to hit Craig Kimbrel blew his third save of the season, giving up back to back HRs to Devin Mascaro and Shin Soo Choo. It was Choo's second HR of the day and 7th on the season. Choo has been quite the surprise for the Reds thus far, and exactly what he was brought in to be.

-Raise your hand if you had predicted that a month into the season, Roy Halladay would be getting shelled and on the DL, Cole Hamels would be struggling, and Kyle Kendrick would be the best pitcher in the Phillies rotation? Kendrick is sporting a 4-1 record, with a 2.45 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP. He's bound to come back to earth eventually, but take advantage of his hot streak while you can.

-Did anyone notice that yesterday was the first time that Yoenis Cespedes failed to score a run since he returned from the DL? He's got 10 runs in 9 games since his return, to go along with 3 homers and 11 RBIs. Neither did I. I like that. Good for my team.

-Allen Craig appears to finally becoming Allen Craig. He's got 2 homers and 6 RBIs in his last 4 games. Anyone who drafted him has to be encouraged by that, and the hope is that he'll finally start heating up power wise.

-MLB.com's fastcast has always been a favorite of mine. It's a quite recap of the entire day's action and games. Highlights, game winners etc. I like it for keeping on top of everything. It's found here.

The Cafe:
-Matt Harvey continues to be a hot topic around the Cafe. The most recent conversation has centered around whether he is indeed legitimate given the lack of offensive punch he has faced. Thread is here and going strong at 12 pages.

-Tim Lincecum continues to be a hot topic around the Cafe, as he continues getting hit hard. He gave up 5 runs in 7 innings against a weaker Phillies lineup. I avoided him like the plague in drafts. Is it getting to be that time of year that you think about buying low on him? He's a talented pitcher, but he sure isn't pitching like one.

-Speaking of buying low (and selling high perhaps?), the buy low and sell high thread at the Cafe is in full swing once again. We've got a bit over a month of games under our belts to evaluate guys, so hop on over there and give your input and get some good advice. 2013 Buy Low/ Sell High Thread.

Today's games:

-Atlanta at Cincinnati
(Minor: 3-2, 3.26 ERA v Leake: 2-1, 4.15 ERA)
(12:35 pm)

-Seattle at Pittsburgh
(Hernandez: 4-2, 1.60 ERA v Burnett: 3-2, 2.57 ERA)
(12:35 pm)

-St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(Westbrook: 2-1, 1.07 ERA v Villanueva: 1-2, 2.85 ERA)
(2:20 pm)

-Miami at San Diego
(Nolasco: 2-3, 4.14 ERA v Marquis:3-2, 4.25 ERA)
(3:40 pm)

-Philadelphia at San Francisco
(Pettibone: 2-0, 3.24 ERA v Zito: 3-1, 3.06 ERA)
(3:45 pm)

-Detroit at Washington
(Sanchez: 3-2, 1.82 ERA v Zimmermann: 5-1, 1.64 ERA)
(7:05 pm)

-Oakland at Cleveland
(Mendoza: 0-1, 7.00 ERA v Tillman: 2-1, 3.63 ERA)

-Kansas City at Baltimore
(Griffin: 3-2, 3.79 ERA v Masterson: 4-2, 3.64 ERA)

-Minnesota at Boston
(Peavy: 3-1, 3.38 ERA v Hefner: 0-3, 4.34 ERA)
(7:10 pm)

-Chi White Sox at NY Mets
(Hernandez: 1-0, 3.92 ERA v Webster: 0-0, 3.00 ERA)

-Toronto at Tampa Bay
(Romero: 0-1, 6.75 ERA v Moore: 5-0, 1.95 ERA)

-LA Angels at Houston
(Blanton: 0-5, 5.97 ERA v Norris: 3-3, 3.89 ERA)
(8:10 pm)

-Texas at Milwaukee
(Holland: 2-2, 2.74 ERA v Lohse: 1-3, 3.16 ERA)
(8:10 pm)

-NY Yankees at Colorado
(Phelps: 1-1, 5.56 ERA v Nicasio: 3-0, 4.91 ERA)
(8:40 pm)

-Arizona at LA Dodgers
(Miley: 2-1, 3.06 ERA v Kershaw: 3-2, 1.66 ERA)
(10:10 pm)

Good luck out there today guys. If you have any suggestions to add to the write up, feel free to let me know.
Last edited by m16a on Wed May 08, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 5/8 Cheering, venting, and Harvey ownage

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 08, 2013 11:34 am

Throwing Anibal Sanchez out there today @WSH, hoping he isn't negatively affected by being pushed back a day; as well as Matt Moore against the Blue Jays. Hoping he makes a positive contribution to the Blue Jays Fail Thread by night's end.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:38 am

Pssh, you can talk about Harvey once he throws a 1-hitter against a half-decent team.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed May 08, 2013 11:50 am

Spot Starting Webster against the Twins. :-o
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby J35J » Wed May 08, 2013 11:55 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:Spot Starting Webster against the Twins. :-o

As am I...he's got really solid stuff. Just like most young pitchers with good stuff his biggest concern is control...the stuff is there though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Izenhart » Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 pm

I went to pick Webster up in two leagues yesterday and missed him by a few hours in each league. Now I'm forced to start Villanueva vs STL today and I'll be crossing my fingers on each hand.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Thoughts on starting or benching Griffin @ CLE tonight?
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 08, 2013 12:52 pm

Bench. Cleveland is still en fuego. and may likely bounce back from last night's low offensive output.

Leake's pitching to Atlanta's B squad, it may be tough for my boy Minor to get a W today. I'm also running, hold your breath, Jordan Zimmerman out there against the mighty DETROIT TIGERS!!!! 8-o

Go J-Zimm!
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby Ender » Wed May 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Izenhart wrote:I went to pick Webster up in two leagues yesterday and missed him by a few hours in each league. Now I'm forced to start Villanueva vs STL today and I'll be crossing my fingers on each hand.

I didn't realize he faced STL in my weekly league where I would have likely dropped him for someone else had i noticed. Praying he doesn't get completely lit up.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Wed May 08, 2013 1:19 pm

Ender wrote:
Izenhart wrote:I went to pick Webster up in two leagues yesterday and missed him by a few hours in each league. Now I'm forced to start Villanueva vs STL today and I'll be crossing my fingers on each hand.

I didn't realize he faced STL in my weekly league where I would have likely dropped him for someone else had i noticed. Praying he doesn't get completely lit up.

If half of my starting rotation wasn't on the DL, I'd bench Villy against STL, but I need all the starts I can get right now so I'm running him out there.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers