Two trades... Need immediate input! WHIR... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Two trades... Need immediate input! WHIR...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Two trades... Need immediate input! WHIR...

Postby NikeTxGuy » Wed May 08, 2013 12:07 am

I am possibly being involved in two trades (but definitely one for sure!)

This guy in my league wants Mike Trout from me and initially offered me the following:

HIS Starling Marte + Yovani Gallardo + Hiroki Kuroda for Mike Trout.

I then rejected that deal and counter-offered with this:

MY Trout + Andrus + L.Cain (KC) + Gregg for HIS Marte + Heyward + S.Castro + Gallardo.

I told him without touching his top two guys this is what it would take to get him (Trout) from me.

Trade #2... My 2B (Raburn) is looking pretty thin... Bourn is scheduled to come back to the Indians on Thursday, pending any setbacks.

An owner in my league earlier in the season proposed to me the following:

HIS Altuve + Gio Gonzalez for Giancarlo Stanton.

Should I do that? I am leaning towards no but maybe if trade 1 goes through, I would consider doing trade 2. Otherwise, I won't do either. Is this smart?
C-Wieters/McCann 1B-Freeman 2B-Kipnis 3B-Trumbo SS-Segura OF-C.Gonzalez OF-Trout OF-Dunn UT-Bourn UT-Andrus
BN:McLouth-Wieters-Arenado

(SP) Kershaw-Moore-Corbin-Buchholz-T.Wood-Fernandez-Teheran
(RP) Rivera-J.Johnson-Gregg-Robertson
NikeTxGuy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Two trades... Need immediate input! WHIR...

Postby aerrico » Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 am

Without the league details such as number of teams, categories, keeper/redraft, etc, this question is almost impossible to answer. In a vacuum, I don't think I do any of these deals. Trout is too good to be trading without getting a first rounder back (or at least multiple second rounders just for him), so I wouldn't go for either of those deals. As far as Stanton goes, I would not be trading him away for a second baseman with no power and a good, but not great pitcher.

If this league is a keeper league, it is even a worse idea to go for these deals. If the league is particularly deep in terms of teams and starting positions, then it becomes a bit closer because pitching is a bit harder to find on the waiver wire and getting back a bunch of serviceable players for Trout becomes a bit more intriguing. But again, without league specifics, it's an impossible question to answer.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=460201
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby sn267537 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:42 am

Your CPU Ted offer in trade 1 makes sense based on information u have provided. However, it is tough to give away trout even if this is a keeper, but if u can keep a good amount ur gaining valuable keepers in return potentially

Trade two. Wow, that's a great deal IMO based on Stanton's health, team, and just I wouldn't give up Altuve and gio for him so I'd take that deal
sn267537
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby NikeTxGuy » Wed May 08, 2013 2:57 am

Do you see what Starling Marte has been doing aerrico? I know that he is unproven (as this is his rookie season) and he's 3 years older than Trout but eh... I'm kinda sold on him.

Don't get me wrong... I don't want to trade M.Trout, that is why I am offering a king's ransom for him to the other owner that wants him. If he rejects my counter-offer, then hey, no sweat! I keep Trout, as I wanted to do in the first place, but if he accepts then, well... I get an upgrade from Elvis Andrus to Starlin Castro, an upgrade from Lorenzo Cain to Jason Heyward and a semi-downgrade from Mike Trout to Starling Marte (who has major upside potential, if he keeps it up!) PLUS another added pitcher from Gregg to Gallardo. Not really sold on Y.Gallardo, as I have owned him in the past, but he's a good pitcher with some upside on a good hitting Brewers team.

And, YES... This is a keeper league, but Heyward is young, Castro is young, Marte is young. All under the age of 26. Sure... They aren't 22 like Trout is but if I am to trade Trout which I may end up doing, I am selling him at his HIGHEST value right now! :)
C-Wieters/McCann 1B-Freeman 2B-Kipnis 3B-Trumbo SS-Segura OF-C.Gonzalez OF-Trout OF-Dunn UT-Bourn UT-Andrus

NikeTxGuy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby aerrico » Wed May 08, 2013 3:40 am

I have seen what Starling Marte has been doing this year, I just don't at all expect him to keep this pace up. I do believe he will end up being toward the back end of the top 30 outfielders or so, but don't see him finishing in the top 10. That being said, I would have a very hard time justifying trading away Trout without getting a true stud back in the deal. In my opinion, none of the players you are getting back qualify in that regard. I do understand that you are upgrading from Cain to Heyward and from Andrus to Castro, but to call downgrading from Trout to Marte a SLIGHT downgrade is a drastic overreaction to one month of play from Marte. I have Marte on a few teams this year and liked him a ton coming into the season, but to compare him to Mike Trout at this point is going way overboard.

Another thing to consider is the way in which your league evaluates keepers. Do you use auction prices and inflation? Draft round? How many keepers? All of these are factors that could sway my opinion one way or another, but as I said in my first response, you just haven't provided enough detail to give a real answer to the question. In a vacuum, I'll still take Trout. But if all of these factors are favorable for taking the other players, then I would possibly do that. It's just hard to say without all the details.

In regards to the Stanton trade, if you trade him for Altuve and Gio Gonzalez in a keeper league you're nuts in my opinion. Stanton is an absolutely elite power hitter who is not going to be playing for this AAA Marlin team that much longer. Also, you're getting very little back for him in my opinion. Gio Gonzalez is not winning 20+ games this year again and Altuve is a nice MI with good average, runs scored, and stolen base numbers. It will be extremely hard to justify losing Stanton's offense for a guy like that. I think if you were to make both of these deals, in 2-3 years you're looking at a much worse team than you could have had.
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby NikeTxGuy » Wed May 08, 2013 4:04 am

aerrico wrote:I have seen what Starling Marte has been doing this year, I just don't at all expect him to keep this pace up. I do believe he will end up being toward the back end of the top 30 outfielders or so, but don't see him finishing in the top 10. That being said, I would have a very hard time justifying trading away Trout without getting a true stud back in the deal. In my opinion, none of the players you are getting back qualify in that regard. I do understand that you are upgrading from Cain to Heyward and from Andrus to Castro, but to call downgrading from Trout to Marte a SLIGHT downgrade is a drastic overreaction to one month of play from Marte. I have Marte on a few teams this year and liked him a ton coming into the season, but to compare him to Mike Trout at this point is going way overboard.

Another thing to consider is the way in which your league evaluates keepers. Do you use auction prices and inflation? Draft round? How many keepers? All of these are factors that could sway my opinion one way or another, but as I said in my first response, you just haven't provided enough detail to give a real answer to the question. In a vacuum, I'll still take Trout. But if all of these factors are favorable for taking the other players, then I would possibly do that. It's just hard to say without all the details.

In regards to the Stanton trade, if you trade him for Altuve and Gio Gonzalez in a keeper league you're nuts in my opinion. Stanton is an absolutely elite power hitter who is not going to be playing for this AAA Marlin team that much longer. Also, you're getting very little back for him in my opinion. Gio Gonzalez is not winning 20+ games this year again and Altuve is a nice MI with good average, runs scored, and stolen base numbers. It will be extremely hard to justify losing Stanton's offense for a guy like that. I think if you were to make both of these deals, in 2-3 years you're looking at a much worse team than you could have had.

We do not use auction prices and inflation... It is just usually we decide on which players we want to go into the next season with... Coming into this season, we had voted on 6 keepers... It may be the same, it may be more next year. Does that help you? ;-D

NikeTxGuy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SFGxNinerGang » Wed May 08, 2013 4:29 am

IMO if you're going to give first round talent in a trade, you should also get back first round talent. Heyward like BJ Upton is overrated. Castro is a upgrade over Andrus but I've never been a fan of Castro. Marte is probably the best piece of the deal. He has tremendous upside, and he's been showing lots of promise so far. I'm a Marte owner as well but I do see him regressing a bit. Overall I still would keep what you have.

Gio + Altuve entices me a bit especially with Stanton on the shelf, and all the question marks surrounding a lackluster Marlins squad.
SFGxNinerGang
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions