Roto Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto Strategy

Postby jahweedum » Tue May 07, 2013 4:01 pm

Is this about the time to start thinking about some big moves in roto leagues if you are trailing? One of my leagues I'm in 5th at 55:

If your not one of the top 3 teams would this be about the time to try and just change things up to chase categories you are losing?

If I'm getting 7 and 8's in pitching and 3-5's in hitting should I be looking to move say Darvish for depth hitters?

I mostly stream my pitching, the only starters I consistently keep are Darvish, Dickey, Cingrani, Dempster. No one believes in Dempster, would give me what I think Cingrani is worth, nor would give me a lump of coal for Dickey. So that leaves Darvish.

I have Reyes, Granderson, HanRam, W. Myers(2DL/5bench) sitting around to help out down the road, but like I said I roll in the 7-8's in pitching except in ERA which is in the toilet thanks to early Axford, Dickey, Maurer stuff, and I am in the 3-5 range in every hitting category except steals which I'm at 8---but I have no true basestealer that's worth anything.

Would you deal Darvish and just stream more pitching--wait out the hurt players to come back--or deal stud hitting (Encarnacion,Tulo, Pedroia) for depth?
jahweedum
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roto Strategy

Postby nymets300 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Well, it's a long season for sure so no need to panic a month into the season. On the other hand, if you can improve your roster with trades, you should do it. I don't like to deal my studs for depth, especially in a 10 team league where there are probably some good free agents out there that you do not have to trade for. Maybe not much of a help but just try to improve your team every day through both trades and the wire. If you can get good value out of dealing Darvish, then do it, but if not, just stay the course ;-D
nymets300
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wrveres » Tue May 07, 2013 6:22 pm

you are only 16-17 points from the hunt. if you can make up 2-3 points per category, you are right back in the thick of it. the first thing i would do is quit using a 95 year old junk ball pitcher. hes killing ya. get him off your roster. i dont care what he did when he was 94 years old. there's a couple points right there. then id start looking for some stolen bases. they are out there. slot em in your UT. you've got five months to make up a few points. it can be done easily. Heck a guy just moved 11 points in my 15 team league in one day. just keep researching, and you'll make up those points. ive made up 5 points in the final week before. its a marathon, not a sprint.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby hot4tx » Wed May 08, 2013 11:59 am

While I always like to kick the tires on value trades (selling high/buying low), before you start targeting specific stats to give up value in other areas for you first have to make sure you need to do that.

When looking at categories right now I think it's important to estimate if your team can organically improve in those categories (either you have guys that have been hurt that should those categories or you have guys that have enough history of performing well in those particular categories that haven't yet) or if you need to trade away value in order to improve those categories from the outside. That's often not so easy to do since you obviously liked the players you drafted just over a month ago, so everyone has a tendency to keep expectations.

If you honestly expect those categories to improve organically, then at this point I would still only look for trades that add overall value to your team regardless of improvement to specific stat categories. Later in the year I might try to make trades for specific categories. Unless of course you've honestly identified holes in your team. If so I'd try to find some even-value trades to fill those holes. If you can't get even value I'd still hold off at this point and try to continue to add value to your team through trades and waiver pickups. I'd consider sending another round of even-value offers at the end of the month or early June.

If you still can't get even value a couple weeks into June and still have some big holes in your teams at that time I'd consider some negative value trades if they help shore up the holes in my team. But not in early May. Still too early IMO.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Ender » Wed May 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Depends on the category and how far you are behind. We still aren't very deep into the season where you have to panic though if you have trustworthy players.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers