Jay Bruce for Kris Medlen, grab up Arenado for depth? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Jay Bruce for Kris Medlen, grab up Arenado for depth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jay Bruce for Kris Medlen, grab up Arenado for depth?

Postby MadDog36 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:57 am

I am being offered Jay Bruce for Kris Medlen. Love me some Med Dog...he's pitched better than his peripherals indicate.

(is bench)
C1-Gattis (J. Jaso)
C2-Mauer
1b-P. Fielder (Freeman)
2b-R. Cano (E. Cabrera)
MI-E. Andrus (E. Cabrera)
3b-E. Longoria
CI-M. Machado (F. Freeman)
SS-T. Tulowitzki (E. Cabrera)
OF-S. Marte, C. Gomez, B. Harper, D. Brown, BJ Upton, S. Smith (R. Davis, A. Hicks)
DL-M. Bourn

Daily 3xSP 3xRP 3xP (usually start all my closers and all my good MRP at RP/P and rotate my starters at my SP slots though if I have more than three going I usually sit one of my MRP.

SP - Clayton kershaw, Madison Bumgartner, Kris Medlen, Matt Harvey, J. Chacin, A. Pettitte, P. Hughes, S. Miller, L. Lynn
RP - Papelbon, Romo, Reed, D. O'Day, J. Tazawa, R. Cook

My OF could use one more quality option, the rest of my team has been built through many trades and smart drafting..

Also should I consider grabbing Nolan Arenado in FA to backup 3b for me?) He's on waivers don't think I'm going to get him I'm down about 7th or 8th in order (can't remember off hand)

We have 12 total bench (on my team I use 5 offense and 6 bats...but have a free spot..wondering about Arenado....?) I probably get rid of Hicks once Bourn gets off the DL..Hicks would be a free keeper if I choose to hang onto him.
Last edited by MadDog36 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1931)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jay Bruce for Kris Medlen, grab up Arenado for depth?

Postby Dradis » Tue May 07, 2013 12:05 pm

I would snatch up Arenado fast, I tried to get him in my league and he was gone lol
Dradis
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pcm4 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:10 pm

In a vacuum I would make this trade.

Looking at your roster assuming you are starting all of the OF listed that are not in parenthesis then I would make this trade. Particulary since you would still have a nice top 3 of Kershaw, Bumgarner and Harvey. Bruce is a notoriously streaky hitter so if you can grab him after he's already had one of his big slumps for the season I think you have to pull the trigger. The peripherals are ugly, but he's had bad months like this the past few seasons and still produced. If you can even get a halfway decent starter in FA to replace Medlen then it only makes the case stronger.

*EDIT I guess I should have asked if this is a keeper and whether or not you can/would keep Bruce or Medlen.
pcm4
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby zyzzbrah34 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:59 pm

You have depth at pitching. I would do it.
zyzzbrah34
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 62)

Postby sn267537 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Kershaw, Bumgarner, Harvey are great followed by pettitte and miller is excellent depth

Bruce will be a solid #2 behind Harper and compliment the corps of marte and Gomez nicely. It's too bad bj upton hasn't started out better for u. But it's a nice deal for Bruce.
sn267537
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby kaiser » Tue May 07, 2013 2:25 pm

After looking at your SP, I'd make this deal. You have more than enough arms left to keep you strong at that position. Bruce will be frustrating to own, but hen he hits, he hits big.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)

Postby angels7777 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:30 pm

I'd take Bruce over Medlen

viewtopic.php?t=460188
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
OF- J. Uptn, Trout, Polanco
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
SP- Hamels, Teheran, Liriano, Garza, Kluber, Fister, A. Sanchez, Gio, Latos, Cobb, Arieta
RP- Melancon, Smith, Hawkins
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby MadDog36 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:37 am

Well a sad update to this:
I was unable to claim Arenado to back me up at 3b..since I have a backup everywhere else..
My Medlen for Bruce trade was vetoed....though the LM said that he would put it through had it not been tied....it received a tied vote and due to league rule he was forced to veto it. I think that is garbage honestly. how is that not a fair trade. I mean Medlen and Bruce are about 6 spots apart on ADP ? I mean he's not been a lock down ace but he's been a solid mid rotation starter and I think Bruce has what one homer to date. Its BS

Still have a free spot available 3B backup:
Gyorko 2b/3b/mi/ci
Middlebrooks 1b/3b/ci
Yuniesky Betancourt 2b/3b/1b/ci

Which of these three would you add (I like my team very much even without the deal for Bruce...though I'd feel better if I had at least a semi-competent backup just in case Longo ever gets hurt, as he has the propensity to do.

Was thinking Gyorko and his 25 homer potential. He's also heating up....pretty obvious choice?

I've tried other trades to acquire another bat for the OF but this was the only one I could get that I liked. Also, I do have Bourn coming off the DL next week so its not that big a deal. What i wanted to do was use the free spot on a backup 3b...get Bruce, get Bourn back and then grab another MRP since what's his face Tazawa is closing for the next week or two.

But since the league shot my trade down I'm not sure who I can jettison for a 3rd holds/MRP man. There isn't much available but to compete in this league you have to carry at least 3 good MRP.
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby plamb23 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:50 am

Yes I believe Gyorko is your depth choice

And that was a horrible veto IMO
plamb23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 275)

Postby MadDog36 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 am

C1-Gattis (J. Jaso)
C2-Mauer
1b-P. Fielder (Freeman)
2b-R. Cano (E. Cabrera)
MI-E. Andrus (E. Cabrera)
3b-E. Longoria
CI-M. Machado (F. Freeman)
SS-T. Tulowitzki (E. Cabrera)
OF-S. Marte, C. Gomez, B. Harper, D. Brown, BJ Upton, S. Smith (R. Davis, A. Hicks)
DL-M. Bourn

Daily 3xSP 3xRP 3xP
SP - Clayton kershaw, Madison Bumgartner, Kris Medlen, Matt Harvey, J. Chacin, A. Pettitte, P. Hughes, S. Miller, L. Lynn
RP - Papelbon, Romo, Reed, D. O'Day, J. Tazawa, R. Cook

ok here's a guy's roster that has 4 good OF:
C-W. Rosario, R. Martin
1b-B. Moss
2b-I. Kinsler
3b-J. Donaldson
SS-S. Castro
MI-A. Escobar
CI-M. Cabrera
OF-J. Upton, Dexter Fowler, Carlos Beltran, Vernon Wells, Colby Rasmus, Y. Cespedes
DL-J. Heyward, G. Stanton. P. Bourjos
BN: M. Prado (2b/3b/SS/OF)
BN: O. Infante (2b/SS/3b)
BN: D. Gordon (SS)
He has only one closer (Betancourt) and 5 MRP and 3 good arms (Felix, Minor, Latos_ and the rest are back end starters like Marcum, EJax, Burnett (are his last 3)

This guy hoards OF. What could I offer him off my team to acquire one of his OF. Lucky guy got Rasmus off an impatient owner and traded for Stanton preseason. he gave up I think Rizzo and Matt Cain to get Stanton so it was fair...he's just suffered so many DL to his OF....but he can afford to trade.. He could use a 1b, a SP and a closer. I have all I can spare. I was thinking:

Freeman, Tazawa, and ?
for his OF (?) and B. Moss (to have a b/u for 1b). Don't want to insult him, he's a bit on the temperamental side.

I'm currently tied for first place and this guy is nipping on our heels so it could be a big deal you see.
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions