Santana/D.Brown/Hammel for Jackson/Cain - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Santana/D.Brown/Hammel for Jackson/Cain

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Santana/D.Brown/Hammel for Jackson/Cain

Postby ramble2 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:23 am

I'm looking for advice on a multi-team deal I'm trying to put together. I'm in a 12-team 5x5 keeper league, and am currently sitting in first place. I think if I can shore up my pitching and get a little more speed I'll be very tough to beat this season.

I'm looking to move my C. Santana (14th round keeper), Domonic Brown (would be a 16th round keeper) and Jason Hammel (innings eater, but nothing special) to acquire Austin Jackson (who'd beautifully shore up my OF) and Matt Cain (who I think is a great buy-low candidate). If I can pull it off, is that a good trade for me? What's the consensus on Cain?

I was trying to work out a trade for Latos + Bourn (for similar players), but that owner hasn't been responsive. I could try again, offering something like Encarnacion for Latos, but I'm not confident that owner is paying enough attention to make a deal happen. If he were, I'd then be looking to move Dom. Brown + Hammel for an OF with more speed, if possible (any ideas?). Or am I better off targeting Cain + Jackson?

My team:

C-Santana, Rosario (we only start 1, hence I can move Santana)
1B-Goldschmidt
2B-Phillips
3B-Miggy
SS-Segura (my new man crush)
OF-CarGo
OF-Alex Gordon
OF-Dom. Brown
UT-Encarnacion
Bench-Eaton (DL), Puig, Al. Castellanos

SP-Strasberg, Scherzer, Garcia, Hammel, Minor, Teheran, J. Fernandez
RP-Perkins, Wilhelmsen, Henderson, Robertson, Storen, Tazawa
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Santana/D.Brown/Hammel for Jackson/Cain

Postby whoson1st0 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 pm

How many pitchers/SPs do you start each week?

The deal you proposed for Cain is great for you. But the other owner won't do it unless he hates Cain and/or loves Santana. [unless you are thinking because they are keepers?] In a 1 catcher league, Santana loses some value. (Not saying he's not great, but you won't find someone as desperate for a catcher). Who is the cain's owner catcher?

Yes Cain has had a rough start but I still think he would likely want a top hitter for him. Hammel is not a replacement that he will want. And to ask him to downgrade his OF spot too? Brown has proven that he is a keeper yet, and in a 1 catcher league having a catcher as a keeper isn't going to be as great a trading chip as you are probably hoping.

I think you need to concentrate on Cain OR Jackson.

Latos for Encarnacion isn't too bad, and you can put Santana at Util. Still ultimately a downgrade at offense tho. What's your OF WW look like?
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Re: Santana/D.Brown/Hammel for Jackson/Cain

Postby ramble2 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 pm

whoson1st0 wrote:How many pitchers/SPs do you start each week?

The deal you proposed for Cain is great for you. But the other owner won't do it unless he hates Cain and/or loves Santana. [unless you are thinking because they are keepers?] In a 1 catcher league, Santana loses some value. (Not saying he's not great, but you won't find someone as desperate for a catcher). Who is the cain's owner catcher?

Yes Cain has had a rough start but I still think he would likely want a top hitter for him. Hammel is not a replacement that he will want. And to ask him to downgrade his OF spot too? Brown has proven that he is a keeper yet, and in a 1 catcher league having a catcher as a keeper isn't going to be as great a trading chip as you are probably hoping.

I think you need to concentrate on Cain OR Jackson.

Latos for Encarnacion isn't too bad, and you can put Santana at Util. Still ultimately a downgrade at offense tho. What's your OF WW look like?

Fair enough, and good advice. The trade getting worked out will probably be a three-team deal, so more players may end up getting involved, but if need be I may have to up the ante on my end. Still, I think the Cain owner is pretty disappointed in Cain, and is ready to sell on the cheap (his catcher is Wieters).

I may just focus on Jackson and shoring up my OF. I'll rely on Strasberg's numbers improving and my pickup of Fernandez to shore up my pitching. If the Jackson owner won't budge, who are some other OFers that I might try and target?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions