5/7 Cheering, Venting, & Buttholes' Spitter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/7 Cheering, Venting, & Buttholes' Spitter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5/7 Cheering, Venting, & Buttholes' Spitter

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 am

.: Around the MLB :.

Is Buttholes' Spitter the name of the next big alternative/grunge/emo rock band? If it isn't, it should be. Recently accused alleged spitballer Clay Buttholes struck out 9 last night, though he lasted just 6 innings and allowed 4 Earned Runs. It was Clay's shortest and least productive outing this season. The writing is on the wall, folks. Sell now or regret later. This guy isn't a good pitcher. Never has been.

Andrew Cash-Daddy threw 7 shutout innings, striking out 4, and apparently was not squeezed last night. This is the other side of the double edged sword that circulates him. He's going to have outings like last night, and others like he showed against the Cubs last week. As an owner, I'm hoping for more of the former, and less of the latter.

Cliff Lee looked back in-form last eve, going 8 strong innings against a heavily favored Giants team who had Madison Bumgarner toe their rubber. Lee fanned 6 and, surprise surprise, issued zero walks. That's 40 K and 7 BB on the season now. He's 3 - 2 on the year. Last year he earned his 3rd Win on AUGUST 26TH!

In my team's news, I sent away Evan Gattis & Alexi Ogando for Matt Wieters & Marco Estrada. For some reason I'm a big Estrada guy, and felt like he was a decent buy low option. The other owner had an offer of Will Middlebrooks for Wieters on the table, and with Yadier Molina being his primary Catcher, was looking to get whatever he could. He's an Ogando guy the way I'm an Estrada guy, so it worked out. Lots of question marks surrounding both pitchers, so we'll see how it shakes out. The trade is also set to execute after I get Ogando's start @HOU this week -- a condition I requested.

The aforementioned Gattis started in LF for the Braves yesterday, batting 5th. Atlanta seems to be sticking to their word to get his bat in the lineup by any means necessary, even with the return of Brian McCann. Gattis swings about as hard as anybody I've ever seen, and seems to struggle with off-speed stuff. Today could be a good match up for him, though, facing strong arm Homer Bailey at The Great American Ballpark; if he gets the start, that is.

Ben Zobrist is set to return to the Rays' lineup today after missing two days to attend a funeral.

Last, but certainly not least -- Happy Matthew Edward Harvey Day!

.: Around the Cafe :.

Check out the Week 6 Cafe Podcast which centers, for a stretch at least, around the debacle that is the Blue Jays' starting rotation. The heavy pre-season favorites are just 12 - 21 (lol), yet in their typical confines of being a laughing stock of the league. John Buck called, he said thanks for trading him back to civilization. On the bright side, though, Toronto does have RA Dickey, owner of a 5.36 ERA and 5 Losses... He's the pitcher they need, not the pitcher they deserve... Wait, I think another passed ball just scooted through Arencabia's legs... Don't forget to also check out the Blue Jays FAIL Thread. Now that mweir has stopped in, it should start to get interesting sooner than later. On a serious note, if you guys haven't been listening to the Podcasts, you definitely should. They do a very nice job with it, and I am working on being a guest as soon as the academic year ends and I've got the time.

Luis Valbuena has become the most recent future dud/bust/disappointment that AussieDodger is plugging. He will join the ranks of players such as Dom Brown and Dillon Gee, and countless other players buried in the Free Agency ranks of even your deepest league.

The Closer Thread continues to heat up, with injuries(?) to Andrew Bailey and Joel Hanrahan, ineffectiveness of Fernando Rodney (and lack of prospective replacements), the looming return of Fujikawa in the Windy City, and more. One of the most incredible resources we have here at the Cafe -- stop by. Learn. Educate. Participate. Just don't tell me what Mariano Rivera got a 1-2-3 Save, and that it helped you win your H2H match up. I couldn't care less.

.: Today's Match Ups :.

KC: Santana (3-1, 2.00 ERA)
BAL: Chen (2-3, 3.50 ERA)

DET: Sanchez (3-2, 1.82 ERA)
WSH: Zimmermann (5-1, 1.64 ERA)

OAK: Milone (3-3, 3.69 ERA)
CLE: McAllister (2-3, 3.30 ERA)

SEA: Harang (1-3, 8.68 ERA)
PIT: McDonald (2-2, 5.76 ERA)

MIN: Diamond (2-2, 3.97 ERA)
BOS: Dempster (2-2, 3.00 ERA)

ATL: Medlen (1-4, 3.38 ERA)
CIN: Bailey (1-3, 3.38 ERA)

TOR: Happ (2-2, 3.98 ERA)
TB: Hernandez (1-4, 5.28 ERA)

CHW: Santiago (1-1, 2.29 ERA)
NYM: Harvey (4-0, 1.56 ERA)

LAA: Wilson (3-0, 4.04 ERA)
HOU: Lyles (0-0, 3.60 ERA)

STL: Lynn (5-0, 2.75 ERA)
CHC: Wood (2-2, 2.50 ERA)

TEX: Grimm (2-1, 2.28 ERA)
MIL: Peralta (2-2, 6.00 ERA)

NYY: Kuroda (4-1, 2.25 ERA)
COL: De La Rosa (2-3, 4.18 ERA)

ARI: McCarthy (0-3, 7.22 ERA)
LAD: Beckett (0-4, 5.24 ERA)

MIA: Sanabia (2-4, 4.67 ERA)
SD: Stults (2-2, 5.08 ERA)

PHI: Kendrick (3-1, 2.43 ERA)
SF: Lincecum (2-1, 4.41 ERA)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5/7 Cheering, Venting, & Buttholes' Spitter

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 am

9 K's is still good to see, I wouldn't give up on him just yet. Obviously he is pitching over his head, but when the K% regulates I'll begin to worry. He's still a solid pitcher even without the K rate... I dont think you are giving him enough credit.

Talking about Clay Buchholz of course. Not saying he wont return to his career averages, its very possible. I just wouldn't give up on him after one shaky start where he still had an awesome K rate.
Last edited by NikkiSixx on Tue May 07, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 07, 2013 9:01 am

NikkiSixx wrote:9 K's is still good to see, I wouldn't give up on him just yet. Obviously he is pitching over his head, but when the K% regulates I'll begin to worry. He's still a solid pitcher even without the K rate... I dont think you are giving him enough credit.

He's a guy I've just never ever thought was a good pitcher. Even in 2010 I wasn't a believer. Have never owned him, never will. I truly believe this is a ride that's going to end abruptly and harshly. Highest Strand Rate and K/9 and HR/9 of his career through six weeks. I don't buy it. If I owned him, I'd ride it as long as I could if I couldn't dump him, but I'd be ready for the wheels to fall off soon.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 am

bigh0rt wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:9 K's is still good to see, I wouldn't give up on him just yet. Obviously he is pitching over his head, but when the K% regulates I'll begin to worry. He's still a solid pitcher even without the K rate... I dont think you are giving him enough credit.

He's a guy I've just never ever thought was a good pitcher. Even in 2010 I wasn't a believer. Have never owned him, never will. I truly believe this is a ride that's going to end abruptly and harshly. Highest Strand Rate and K/9 and HR/9 of his career through six weeks. I don't buy it. If I owned him, I'd ride it as long as I could if I couldn't dump him, but I'd be ready for the wheels to fall off soon.

Of course he is gonna have some numbers that dont look right. The guy had a 1.00 ERA and like a 0.90 WHIP. He isn't gonna have strand rates, K/9, and HR/9 that match his career averages right now. But you can't expect everything to match the career averages when his numbers are this good, and that goes for any pitcher that has these amazing stretches. Nobody thinks he is this good. Clay Buchholz' Mom doesn't even think he is this good. But I do buy into the fact that he can be a tier 3 or even tier 2 starting pitcher this season. Throwing a spitball? Maybe. But he has had PLENTY of good stretches in his career... Like the 2nd half of last season, or his last few starts before getting hurt in 2011, or his entire 2010....

Like I said, obviously he isnt THIS good, but you aren't giving him anywhere near enough credit.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby kab21 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:14 am

Gattis starting in LF means nothing until Heyward comes back. Gattis won't be playing much as long as Freeman/JUp/Heyward are healthy.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 175)

Postby rjforlife » Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 am

Looking for J-Zimm and Bailey to build off a great start to the week thanks to Sale and Cashman. I don't love the Bailey start but I'm going with volume this week.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby Ender » Tue May 07, 2013 11:34 am

I said it in another thread and I'll stand by it, by the end of the season Clay will be on the FA list in at least 30% of leagues. Definite sell high.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue May 07, 2013 11:41 am

Is anyone else in love with Anthony Rizzo? <3
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 07, 2013 11:45 am

Cashner and Lee were both A+ for me last night. Off to a great start this week. Hoping for encore performances today by Anibal Sanchez and Matthew Edward Harvey.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rjforlife » Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:Is anyone else in love with Anthony Rizzo? <3

Um, yes. I need to tell myself every day not to offer A-Gon for him straight up in my keeper.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers