What will Gattis be like this week? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What will Gattis be like this week?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What will Gattis be like this week?

Postby kab21 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:58 am

Maris09 wrote:
kab21 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:No, not just that. As a huge Braves fan, I've felt as though he's slowed a bit over the past couple years (yes I know of the injury complications he went through in '12). His at bats have slowly declined over the past 5 seasons (as has his OPS), and it would seem like an even bigger concern now with another solid hitting C option in the mix.

I guess if Gattis was only C eligible it wouldn't be worth the roster spot, but if I can mix him in elsewhere on days when McCann is catching to help fill in for my other guys with days off, I think it's worth it.

Yes, he's getting older and he's declined from the 2 .900 OPS seasons at the start of his career but his OPS was consistent from '09-'11. I think Braves fans are infatuated by a shiny new toy and think the team should prematurely push McCann out.

Regardless of what the general fan thinks, I'm just speaking in Fantasy terms for my catcher position.

As a fan, I love McCann and am happy that he's back (for the Braves and for my fantasy team). But if his at-bats are decreasing each of the past 5 years, and his OPS is decreasing each of the past 5 years, and now there's another competent bat around to help ease the load, I just think it's a smart move to carry both if I can swing it. Being able to use a decent power bat such as Gattis to fill in every now and again elsewhere in my lineup makes it easier to swing, IMO.

I would consider .834, .828 and .817 virtually identical numbers instead of decreasing. So either you are basing his decline off his 2nd best season of his career or off of the season that he was injured. Additionally nobody has suggested that the Braves don't continue to carry Gattis.

Maris09 wrote:
Y`s Guy wrote:This GAttis is giving me janitor numbers this week. He is toast. Enter Jesus next week !+) .

Weekly settings? Ya be tough to use him in that format.
He's looked passable in the OF thus far, so might be able to retain a couple starts a week behind the plate and a couple starts in the OF.

Once Heyward is back he won't be starting in the OF unless BJ sits and Heyward/JUp moves over to center.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 174)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Maris09 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:30 pm

kab21 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:
kab21 wrote:
Yes, he's getting older and he's declined from the 2 .900 OPS seasons at the start of his career but his OPS was consistent from '09-'11. I think Braves fans are infatuated by a shiny new toy and think the team should prematurely push McCann out.

Regardless of what the general fan thinks, I'm just speaking in Fantasy terms for my catcher position.

As a fan, I love McCann and am happy that he's back (for the Braves and for my fantasy team). But if his at-bats are decreasing each of the past 5 years, and his OPS is decreasing each of the past 5 years, and now there's another competent bat around to help ease the load, I just think it's a smart move to carry both if I can swing it. Being able to use a decent power bat such as Gattis to fill in every now and again elsewhere in my lineup makes it easier to swing, IMO.

I would consider .834, .828 and .817 virtually identical numbers instead of decreasing. So either you are basing his decline off his 2nd best season of his career or off of the season that he was injured. Additionally nobody has suggested that the Braves don't continue to carry Gattis.

And just the same, nobody here had suggested they were infatuated with Gattis as the shiny new toy and think the team should prematurely push McCann out either. Don't think anyone saw this as an all or nothing thing. It's simply been a discussion about McCann's current value (with an additional solid hitting catching option available), and what, if any, value Gattis can retain playing 3-4 times a week.

Be it a small drop over the 3 year period you referenced, the OPS has gone down each of the past 5 years (just a fact), and his at bats have decreased each of the past 5 years (also a fact, definitely not debatable).

kab21 wrote:Once Heyward is back he won't be starting in the OF unless BJ sits and Heyward/JUp moves over to center.

Once Heyward is back, I could see him ceding a start per week against a tough lefty. Throw in another potential rest day for one of (Upton, Upton or Freeman), and a couple days behind the plate, you're still looking at potentially 4 starts a week and some pinch hitting opps. That's fairly close to the playing time a lot of catchers get. McCann possibly being one of them.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Maris09 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:40 pm

I didn't mean for it to come across like I was super down on McCann. I drafted and stashed him for a reason, seeing good value there if I could hold out until his return. I like McCann (both fantasy and real life), and am glad he’s back.

Just think that his health, age, and production are all at a place where there might be some fantasy value for his power hitting backup, who can play additional positions (both in real life and soon in fantasy eligibility terms). Guess we'll see how it all shakes out. I hope the best for both of them.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Ender » Thu May 09, 2013 11:57 pm

They may look the same but I'd say McCann's peak year was 2010. Since then his BB% has gone down, his Contact rate on balls in the strike zone have gone down, his ability to hit a fastball has gone down. His PA per season has gone down which obviously speaks to his health. It is a soft decline but he has shown a tiny bit of decline the past 2 years and it is the type where you do end up worried into the future. I still think he is the Braves starting C as long as he is healthy though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers