Do I just punt saves? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do I just punt saves?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do I just punt saves?

Postby jahweedum » Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 am

In a 5x5 roto league I got disconnected at the end of the draft and got no closers. I currently have Mujica and K. Jansen and thats it. I'm 9th with 8 saves, the teams in the top 5 have 28+. I think I could feasibly get to 5th in the category. Is it worth it to trade for saves or just punt the category at this point? I'm in 2nd with 75 points as of right now. Thanks!
jahweedum
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Do I just punt saves?

Postby J35J » Thu May 02, 2013 2:27 pm

jahweedum wrote:In a 5x5 roto league I got disconnected at the end of the draft and got no closers. I currently have Mujica and K. Jansen and thats it. I'm 9th with 8 saves, the teams in the top 5 have 28+. I think I could feasibly get to 5th in the category. Is it worth it to trade for saves or just punt the category at this point? I'm in 2nd with 75 points as of right now. Thanks!

No, don't punt really anything in Roto. You have Mujica...Jansen could end up getting more saves and all it takes is finding another waiver wire/fa guy that moves into the closers role at some point and you'll be right there middle of the pack or whatever...take what points in that category that you can, don't punt them away.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Element » Thu May 02, 2013 2:37 pm

Way too early to give up on saves. Roles are constantly changing. Find some setup guys that could end up in the role (like you have in Jansen) and be quick to the wire when rumors begin.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 610)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu May 02, 2013 2:49 pm

You don't have to be first in SV to win the league. I agree with the other guys here. Don't punt the cat.

If you are not a guy who sits in front of a computer for the whole day, then you might be better off making a trade. If you feel you might be able to pick up someone off the WW, then keep an eye on twitter.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 02, 2013 4:49 pm

never punt saves. closers can change so often through a season. whether it's closers who are ineffective or injuries.
even as the trading deadline gets closer, there could be multiple new closers with trades being made.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Millhouse » Thu May 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Try to grab guys who COULD inherit the role soon.....Hernandez in ARI if Putz keeps generally blowing; Thayer in SD if Street is hurt/traded; Marmol might've been dropped, and while he's no Mo Rivera, he's still in the CHI mix; maybe speculate on Brian Wilson in case he signs somewhere later in the season....etc....
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby jahweedum » Thu May 02, 2013 7:52 pm

The problem is the 'speculative' guys and the marmol's and veras's are doing more damage to my era and whip than i'm gonna make up in saves, if i'm at 1 in saves and was at 10 in era and whip, and go to 5 in saves and 8 in era and whip is it worth it? also considering the streaming ability for batters for counting stats i'm having a hard time seeing a reason to not do it
jahweedum
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 pm

look at the first page of the closers thread to see who could be next in line.
if you do pick up 1 or more next guys, you could keep them on your bench if you want until they do get the chance to close.

Benoit in Detroit could be someone worth trading for. he wont get the closers job that Valverde now has, but it looks like the Tigers wont want to pick Valverde 3 days in a row. so Benoit could get some saves, and wont hurt you in ERA/WHIP.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 70)

Return to Baseball Leftovers