Vernon Wells. what will happen? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells. what will happen?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Vernon Wells. what will happen?

Postby Surfs up » Fri May 03, 2013 9:20 am

Wells could DH . Hafner is another left handed bat.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Fri May 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Surfs up wrote:Wells could DH . Hafner is another left handed bat.

There is really no reason to start Wells over Hafner at DH vs a RHP though so that is a pretty limited set of games he would play in. There is no way Wells starts even 75% of the time once Granderson is back barring another injury. It might be under 50% but the highest plausible number is 75%.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Surfs up » Sat May 04, 2013 7:34 am

I believe I said COULD start at DH. But keeping in mind Granderson doesn't hit lefties. Hell he doesn't even hit righties that well. Lots of left handed bats on the team.Neither of us know do we. Its just our opinions. Guess we will see.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Postby Ender » Sat May 04, 2013 7:45 am

There is no way they will sit Granderson on a regular basis though, that just isn't realistic. Sitting Hafner is realistic, sitting Granderson just isn't and to be honest they aren't going to sit Suzuki or Gardner for him either at least against RHP, Wells is not going to play full time without someone getting hurt.
Last edited by Ender on Sat May 04, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Sat May 04, 2013 7:49 am

Surfs up wrote:But keeping in mind Granderson doesn't hit lefties. Hell he doesn't even hit righties that well.

Is this a joke? In 2011 and 2012 Granderson combined for the 4th most plate appearances against LHP in the majors with a with .847 OPS/127 wRC+. He was even better against RHP over that span.

Regardless of your opinion of him, Granderson will not be benched for Vernon Wells in any situation against any pitcher. He will be almost exclusively limited to facing LHP and as an injury replacement against RHP.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun May 05, 2013 12:12 am

I don't think anyone should suggest that Granderson is going to lose playing time to Wells. maybe a routine day off maybe but that's it. however I don't think the same should be said for either Ichiro or Garder.
I can't speak for defense, but why is it that Wells couldn't be expected to start ahead of Ichiro or Gardner? it's not like either of those are all stars. Wells is producing more than Ichiro is.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby neoforce » Thu May 16, 2013 9:32 am

Figured I would bump this since Granderson is back. Hafner has tendinitis in the shoulder and is day-to-day, so in the two games so far, Wells was DH.

After reading this thread, I'm surprised no one seems to consider Wells getting playing time at the expense of Ichiro. Outside of one hot streak, Ichiro has been awful and seems to be better suited as a #4 OF.

Not sure Wells gets enough ABs to be fantasy relevant, but I think he is going to play a lot more than most folks on this thread said back at the beginning of May.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 16, 2013 10:22 am

I can't see how Wells wont continue to be a regular.
even though Hafner has been injured, he has cooled off a lot from what his numbers were early on. his May statistics are BAD.
Wells is right there as one of the better hitters on the Yankees. tied for 1st with Cano at .301 AVG. tied for 1st with Cano at 10 HR. 2 RBI behind team leading Cano. 2 R behind team leading Cano.
Wells should be the full time DH at least.
and it's not like Wells has been lucky.
his BB are up at 8.3 BB%.
his K are down at 12.7%.
his BABIP is right in line with his career. .289 this season, compared to .280 career.
his LD rate is right in line with his career. 18.5 this season, compared to .18.0 career.
the only number that looks to be off, is HR/FB at 19.2 this season, compared to 12.5 and 12.3 each of the last 2 seasons, and 12.2 for his career. so maybe/likely this HR rate doesn't continue, but over a full season he could/should still end up with 25-30+.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby Ender » Thu May 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Yeah at this point I'd imagine they at least ride out the hot streak. Two more weeks of being hot added to the discussion changes things a little bit imo.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue May 21, 2013 7:52 am

As long as he and Hafner are healthy and producing, I do not see them being sat often. Yes against bad matchups and to be given a break every now and then, but it is Suzuki who is stinking the joint up and is the one that should be benched the majority of the time imo. It may work itself all out if one of then gets hurt, but Suzuki is not doing much these days.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers